Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Long time no post!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Long time no post! Reply with quote

It's been about five years since I posted on Dave's, so I'd like to begin this little reincarnation by offering my sincere apologies to everyone for pulling the proverbial disappearing act. I guess the best excuse I have is that I just burned out of the whole forum thing.

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in here today and say hello to everyone and to dispel any unfounded rumors of my early demise. A special 'hello' to Mr. Kalgukshi, Dave S, Writerman, Guy C, Johnslat and any other old-timers who still remember me.

After reluctantly leaving Thailand during the height of the Red-shirt / Yellow-shirt protests (our hotel clients had dropped off considerably during that time) and a four-year stint in China, I have just moved to Manila for a little sunshine and some R&R.

Again, my humble apologies for dropping off the ESL radar; It's nice to see that Dave's is still alive and well.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back. I do remember you from the older days.

I hear you about getting burnt out on the forum thing. I find that I spend several months on here at a time and then I take a hiatus from it for a while. No problem with that.

Thailand...China...Manilla...not bad.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Xie xie! Reply with quote

Thanks, Chris. That's +1 for not burning me at the stake. Laughing
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burning at the stake? Nyaaah. Welcome back, and stick around as long as you like - the community's a bit richer in useful info and ideas while you're here:-)
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember you too! Welcome back - really nice to see an old face again! Didn't you use to manage an ESL links directory, or am I imagining things?

Hope all going well in Manila.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Spiral78, for the warm words of welcome!

Thanks also, Teacher in Rome, for jumping in to say hi. Yes, many years ago I had put together and maintained a list of links for the Thailand and Russia forums, but link lists, in particular, require constant updates, and after you've left the country, it's fairly hard to do that.

Having said that, don't despair; my next project for Dave's will be to collect and publish a list of links to all of the bars on A. Mabini and M.H. Del Pilar Streets, followed by several weeks of rigid hands-on quality control inspections.

Ok, not. Mr. Green
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kent,

I wondered what happened to you, and I'm very glad to see that you're OK.

I dropped off the board myself for a while upon returning from Saudi in 2003, but "just when you think you're out, they pull you back in." Very Happy

You were always a great source of good information, and your posts were a pleasure to read. Your avatar is perfect since you have such a "sunny" disposition.

I'm very glad that you've returned and look forward to reading more from you.

Welcome back and warm regards,

John
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your return is duly noted.

For being AWOL for five years, you are hereby ordered to post daily on Dave's for the next ten years.

Your cooperation is appreciated.
Wink
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. K,

Gosh - you seem to be getting mellow in your old age. I mean - only ten years!!!
Welcome to that club, by the way. I turned 70 a little over a week ago.

Regards,
Geezer John
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of us know that he is lucky the Articles of Specifications only charge AWOL and not Desertion. I can't believe I argued in his defense with the Legal Officer for his only being charged with AWOL.

Yeah, getting a little too mellow.

Sad.

Semper Fi.Very Happy
artemisia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the confessional tone: It's been X number of years since my last...

As an ex-Catholic, I can relate to this.
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear artemisia,

Ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Say five "Our Fathers" and three "Hail Marys"

Go now, my child, and sin no more (nor any less, of course Very Happy)

Regards,
Father John
artemisia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Father John. I'm so glad you didn't forget the penance!
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: guilty as charged Reply with quote

You guys crack me up. Laughing

Since this post is slightly (or grossly) off-topic, I wanted to bring it back on-topic for a moment and expand briefly on my frame of mind and the circumstances surrounding my abrupt forum pull-out. Back in 2007, I was a regular contributor to the Thailand forum - at a time when the Thai government was responding to numerous pedo scandals and press reports about teachers with fake degrees bought on Khao San Road getting nabbed in raids by Immigration.

The response by the Thai government was a deluge of knee-jerk rules and regulations regarding visas and WPs, which seemed to change on a weekly basis. i.e., it was becoming impossible to actually tell people what was required in order to get a work permit for Thailand. Long story short, I got really frustrated at having to try to make sense of it all, much less explain it to newbies who were interested in teaching in Thailand.

When I started losing sleep over it, I just said enough is enough.

On a side note, I read several recent posts on the Thailand forum yesterday and noticed that not much has changed. There is still discussion and debate as to what is required to teach at a given school in the land of smiles. Some things never change, I guess.

Back to the present. Wink

My sincere thanks to John and Mr. Kalgukshi for the light-hearted banter above. I'm touched - and still laughing about artemisia's 'Father, forgive me' commentary. You're right, it does sound like a Confession =)

PS: Happy belated birthday, John! Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: