Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Cautionary Tale Continues...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow3hatan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past few months there have been some revealing stories and editorials about the real state of justice in Taiwan. Whether you're a native Taiwanese or a foreign English teacher, actual due process and protection under the laws in Taiwan are very elusive for the common person. My long-running nursing university case is a real-life example of what almost anyone in Taiwan faces when entering the realm of Taiwan's judiciary and bureaucracy.

I've written more about this and included an editorial on What's Wrong With Justice in Taiwan? at
http://pow3hatan.wordpress.com/2011/09/19/whats-wrong-with-justice-in-taiwan/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pow3hatan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last month I finally got something from the Taiwan High Court regarding the appeal my Taiwanese filed several months ago. In typical style, I got the court's decision on her appeal two months after it was rendered and through Taiwan's representative office here in Jakarta.

Not surprisingly, the High Court rejected the appeal. According to my friend, the court's main reasons for not accepting the appeal were that I have to have a "proper" attorney representing me or a Taiwanese relative or spouse in lieu of a lawyer. It's not what the court told me or my friend before she filed the appeal and I'm not aware of any law or regulation in Taiwan that supports the court's thinking.

Just another underhanded manipulation by the judiciary to deny another foreigner due process and vindication.

Read more and the court's decision here:
http://pow3hatan-warrior4justice.blogspot.com/2011/10/time-for-other-things-in-life-taiwans.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
romanworld

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow3hatan wrote:

Not surprisingly, the High Court rejected the appeal. According to my friend, the court's main reasons for not accepting the appeal were that I have to have a "proper" attorney representing me or a Taiwanese relative or spouse in lieu of a lawyer. It's not what the court told me or my friend before she filed the appeal and I'm not aware of any law or regulation in Taiwan that supports the court's thinking.

Just another underhanded manipulation by the judiciary to deny another foreigner due process and vindication.

Read more and the court's decision here:
http://pow3hatan-warrior4justice.blogspot.com/2011/10/time-for-other-things-in-life-taiwans.html

Just another example of how the Law in Taiwan means absolutely nothing. A friend of mine is taking legal action against one of the universities there because of their persistent attempts to circumvent the Law and constantly move the goalposts. I sincerely hope that he gets a better verdict than you.
Pow3hatan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romanworld: The best to your friend in his battle as the odds are way out of his favor. Chances are his case will either go a similar path as mine, or if he somehow manages to get favorable verdict afterwards he might end up the same way as Richard Canio - the school will just ignore the verdict and the court won't do anything further to enforce it.

What happened in my case and many others is symptomatic of a much wider and pervasive problem with the treatment of all levels of foreigners who come to Taiwan. Taiwan's authorities so often disregard foreigners' legal rights. Decisions are made in a vacuum - lacking common sense, decency, compassion or adherence to international principles of human rights.

You can read more about this at
http://pow3hatan-warrior4justice.blogspot.com/2011/10/not-even-marriage-family-escape.html and http://pow3hatan-warrior4justice.blogspot.com/2011/10/foreigners-in-taiwan-beneath-law-and.html
Pow3hatan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: The Hypocrisy and The Audacity Reply with quote

Well...not only do they violate the human rights of those under their employ in Taiwan, but as the recent case of the Taiwanese diplomat arrested in the U.S. so vividly shows, apparently some can't resist the temptation to do it in other countries either.

Even more glaringly, the government's hypocrisy and double standards concerning matters of the law, due process and human rights were on full display throughout this case. Taiwanese officials disregarded the very serious charges against the diplomat of abusing her domestic worker and violating human trafficking laws as deftly as they ignored violations of my legal and human rights throughout my 4-year ordeal in Taiwan.

More about this at
http://pow3hatan-warrior4justice.blogspot.com/2011/11/hypocrisy-and-audacity-of-taiwans.html
Pow3hatan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to believe this coming June it will be 5 years since the nursing university nightmare began. It has been an abject lesson in how really perilous our work, careers and lives are when we go abroad to foreign lands, many of us with the best intentions and high hopes for a positive experience. When we leave behind the safety net of our own homeland and become a foreigner in someone else's land, we are really living life on a knife edge.

Since December last year my blogging has slowed for various reasons but I'm still moving ahead with telling this tale at the same places and recently started a third blog devoted to another aspect of this sordid tale. I've been archiving all the emails, court documents, letters, etc and preparing selected ones to share on my blogs in time.

You can check out some of the latest happenings at
http://pow3hatan-warrior4justice.blogspot.com/2012/01/time-for-renewal-and-coming-back-to.html
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow3hatan wrote:
It's hard to believe this coming June it will be 5 years since the nursing university nightmare began. It has been an abject lesson in how really perilous our work, careers and lives are when we go abroad to foreign lands, many of us with the best intentions and high hopes for a positive experience. When we leave behind the safety net of our own homeland and become a foreigner in someone else's land, we are really living life on a knife edge.

Since December last year my blogging has slowed for various reasons but I'm still moving ahead with telling this tale at the same places and recently started a third blog devoted to another aspect of this sordid tale. I've been archiving all the emails, court documents, letters, etc and preparing selected ones to share on my blogs in time.

http://pow3hatan-warrior4justice.blogspot.com/2012/01/time-for-renewal-and-coming-back-to.html

Thanks for sharing your story. I am happy to say that I am back in my home country despite its many downfalls. At least there is some protection by the law. Not like people in Taiwan who try to sue people for being too loud in their apartment.

I have to truly say good riddance to Taiwan.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
Pow3hatan wrote:

Thanks for sharing your story. I am happy to say that I am back in my home country despite its many downfalls. At least there is some protection by the law. Not like people in Taiwan who try to sue people for being too loud in their apartment.

I have to truly say good riddance to Taiwan.

You do not want to get in any kind of trouble in Taiwan.

First, the concept of innocent until proven guilty is not widely understood or accepted by Taiwanese people. That, and the fact that the various components of the so-called justice system in Taiwan - the police, lawyers, judges - are often not professional in their duties and do not often follow proper procedures. Also, the relationship between the Taiwanese mafia and high ranking police members, bureaucrats and politicians just adds to the unpredictability of the justice system here.

If I were to draw an analogy, being a foreigner in trouble in Taiwan is akin to being a black man investigated by local sheriffs and put on trail before a jury of all white men in Alabama in 1955.

And the Taiwanese love nothing more than to see a foreigner go down. The media make up and report facts and the politicians grandstand to their constituents and boast about how they are keeping Taiwanese safe from foreign crime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
Page 28 of 28

Jump to: