Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gordillo Arrested
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Gordillo Arrested Reply with quote

Hmm...pretty big name to take down. She didn't want to play ball with the feds I guess on the education reform package.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/906305.html

Chaos coming...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Gordillo Arrested Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Hmm...pretty big name to take down. She didn't want to play ball with the feds I guess on the education reform package.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/906305.html

Chaos coming...

I was just having class with a student with all sorts of connections with the DF and Federal government. As we were chatting, he got a text message from his mother telling him about the arrest of Elba Esther. We checked it out on the El Universal website and there it was. She's being arrested for stealing teacher union funds and using them to pay off credit cards, buy a house in California and have plastic surgery, among other things. My student told me that she is possibly the most hated woman in Mexico!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, she should have spent a little more of the money on plastic surgery cause she is still one ugly beeeeeaaccchhhh. I was actually doing a little happy dance when I heard that she had been arrested. It�s about time.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Well, she should have spent a little more of the money on plastic surgery cause she is still one ugly beeeeeaaccchhhh. I was actually doing a little happy dance when I heard that she had been arrested. It�s about time.

So is that one tacha in the Good column for Nieto?

This is surely directed from the very top.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a little dance, make a little love, [you're out] tonight, get down tonight...
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/02/pgr-arrests-elba-esther-gordillo.html
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonlady wrote:
Do a little dance, make a little love, [you're out] tonight, get down tonight...
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/02/pgr-arrests-elba-esther-gordillo.html

Yee, what a nasty photo!

Quote:
At a press conference, Murillo Karam said that the SHCP (Secretar�a de Hacienda y Cr�dito P�blico) (Mexico's Secretariat of Finance and Public Credit), filed a formal complaint with the PGR (Attorney General) when they detected an irregular operation totaling around 2 billion pesos ($156 million) in two accounts of the SNTE.

The official explained that from 2008 to 2012 there were funds that were diverted from SNTE worker�s accounts to mainly three individual accounts in foreign banks. This money, according to Murillo Karam, was subsequently withdrawn by these people in foreign banks through checks and cash transfers.

Convenient timing...of course Karam just took up his post as Attorney General and Luis Videgaray Caso is a new director of hacienda. But neither is exactly a newbie in the political sphere. Both 'just detected' these irregularities? Ha

It will be interesting to see if:
a) removing Gordillo has a positive effect (I hope so) and
b) there is a splintering effect on the SNTE as others fight for leadership

Quote:
The deviations of resources from the SNTE include: shopping malls, payments to cosmetic surgery clinics, art galleries, and buying property abroad.

Epic fail
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

History repeats itself, as the old adage goes. I'm sorry to post so much in this thread, but a Mexican journalist and good friend brought me up to speed on a time when most of us weren't here.

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1989/Pemex-Union-Leader-Arrested-After-Shootout/id-7ee5ecd310746f9edbf8079f208fd3c2
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
History repeats itself, as the old adage goes. I'm sorry to post so much in this thread, but a Mexican journalist and good friend brought me up to speed on a time when most of us weren't here.
http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1989/Pemex-Union-Leader-Arrested-After-Shootout/id-7ee5ecd310746f9edbf8079f208fd3c2

from the article above
Quote:
Challenging the union leader, who commands the loyalty of hundreds of thousands of workers, is a bold move for President Carlos Salinas de Gortari and a test of his vow to modernize politics and the economy.

from The New York Times published Dec 1, 2012
Quote:
When Mr. Pe�a Nieto announced his cabinet on Friday, it was clear that he had relied largely on PRI stalwarts, including five former governors. But he also placed several foreign-educated technocrats from his inner circle, including Mr. Videgaray, in prominent positions.

Andrew Selee, director of the Woodrow Wilson Center�s Mexico Institute in Washington, said Mr. Pe�a Nieto seemed intent on reaffirming the power of the state, a hallmark of his party, while also hinting at taking on interest groups. He [Pe�a Nieto] specifically promised an end to entrenched employment in the education system, seen as a jab at the powerful teachers� union, which has stymied changes.
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/bre91q03n-us-mexico-education/
Quote:
He said other people involved in the suspected fraud included Gordillo's dead mother, the 99 percent owner of one of the companies used to move funds
Who says the dead don't talk Wink
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
BadBeagleBad wrote:

This is surely directed from the very top.

Yeah, the thought crossed my mind. But even the worst dictator throws a bone from time to time. At least this bone has a little meat on it.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turned on.....(gasp) televisa (gasp) this morning while the coffee was brewing to hear what they had to say. And I agree that this is certainly political, while the charges seem totally valid, the timing is political, they could have brought her in at anytime over the last several years, but they choose do it is just as the reforma educativa is in congress.
I truely hope that the teachers turn this into an opportunity to reform their union. But I'm afraid that's unlikely.
And personally the timing sucks--I'm going to Oaxaca City tomorrow and I have to be there between 9 and 10 am--I really really hope I don't run into a massive demonstration on the way there.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

Only for those without the intelligence to think it through and see the political opportunism behind it. Sad
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:

Only for those without the intelligence to think it through and see the political opportunism behind it. Sad

Of course it has.

(And you were just funnin' us, weren't you Guy?)
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to see if BBB would give some credit to Nieto...she was after all, a little, um, virulent in her opposition to him during the election. Very Happy
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
I just wanted to see if BBB would give some credit to Nieto...she was after all, a little, um, virulent in her opposition to him during the election. Very Happy

No, if he ever actually does anything good I will give him credit.

My theory is that Carlos pinched QuiQues butt and said, hey, Ester dissed me back in the day when I asked her for a cut of the haul, so now it�s payback time. More about that than anything else. I still don�t think EstePendejo has any brains, but sadly, Carlos does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: