Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

age 60 TeachingChile.com

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbrannan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: age 60 TeachingChile.com Reply with quote

I'm interested in TeachingChile (yes, I know many of you think it's stupid to pay for a job but I have my reasons)
Is this a program for young teachers or are there any older people in the program? Anyone with experience/knowledge of this aspect of the program-I'd really appreciate your comments.
Thanks!
chica88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to come from a real place here...

I am older also.

But, I have talked to the man for almost 2 hours on the phone one time about one year ago.
First, I would suggest calling the phone number listed on the web site and put whoever answers the phone through the third degree about everything under the sun.
When I called him we talked about rent and food prices, school pay, transportation cost and if people can really save anything from working in Chile in general.
That service does set you up with a job.
However, the man told me you will not really be able to save anything with the pay you get.

So... Alright fine!

You want to work in Chile anyway and if you get placed on a job its one less thing to worry about.
Because lets face it, moving to another country is a huge pain in the ass even if you don't have to consider having to deal with finding a job.
Passing through customs alone gives me a major headache.

Anyway...

This program based on the last time I spoke to them wants about $3,000 dollars for their placement fee.
If you see a fee for less I would say its wrong information.
But, again the phone call to the company would have to be made for those answers.

I would tend to lean towards flying to Chile without a job.
And for God sake find a local to assist you finding a place to live so you don't get screwed over on the price.
Offer to pay the local something so its worth their time.
If you can't find a job in ---- amount of time then go with the placement service if you must.

I have been dealing with latin america for awhile now.
Do not forget $1,000 - 3,000 dollars is an extreme amount of money.
Locals do not make that amount of money.
You can pay for yourself to have a nice little place and look for work for the amount of money the service is charging you.
And you will not be able to make that money back unless you get paid more than what I know the normal pay is.

I am not trying to talk you out of anything.
You know whats best for you.
But, the service you speak of is extremely expensive for what you get in return.

And no they don't have anything to say about age.
Most of latin america does not care how old you are from my experience.
The program will surely take your money if you give it to them with promises of placement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: