Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the expected "good salary"?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musaafira

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: What is the expected "good salary"? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I never had a full-time job teaching or anything for that matter before, and now I am considering some universities in the UAE, but I wanted to ask you: how much would a "good" or even "great" salary range be for someone with an MA in ESL? And if any of you know the "good/great" salary ranges for teachers with an MA in the Sciences or Business or another subject, please do tell!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm not clear. Do you have an MA in ESL/EFL? If not, are you planning to get one?

Previously you mentioned an MA in biology, but said that all your teaching experience is in ESL/EFL. Was it part-time only? What kind of teaching? children or adults? schools or language institutes? general English or Academic English?

Your question is nearly impossible to answer with your lack of related credentials or experience. Few people will have any idea of pay in other fields and they may not be on the board regularly.

Most universities in the UAE tend to be very strict about proper full-time related experience and credentials.

VS
musaafira

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't talking about myself, I just wanted a general opinion on the what makes a "good salary" for an ESL teacher with an MA who let's say only has substantial part-time teaching experience over a number of years.

Thanks!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musaafira wrote:
I wasn't talking about myself, I just wanted a general opinion on the what makes a "good salary" for an ESL teacher with an MA who let's say only has substantial part-time teaching experience over a number of years.

"...only has substantial part-time teaching experience over a number of years." That makes no sense---it's both odd and ambiguous. Anyway, whether you're asking for yourself or someone else, just apply for the positions to see if employers respond back with an offer of an interview. Then go on from there. Otherwise, there are expat forums on the Net with useful info about the UAE's cost of living. That should help gauge what a "good" salary is.
musaafira

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really only wanted a general idea. It's not that complicated.

Those of you who have experience working there or in the Gulf, what would be considered a good salary for an ESL teacher with an MA and some part-time teaching experience. That's all I'm asking. I am asking so that I may know if an offer is worth taking or not.
nenna-978

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear MS,
You should look for the costs of living in UAE and then you can decide if it's worth or not. Put everything on the paper and you'll see it by yourself. If you don't have any ME experience you can't expect some high offers.
No one could tell you what you could expect to get and no one talks about how much they get, it's not professional to talk about the salaries Wink
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would gladly give a number, but the situation is too ambiguous to even make a guess.

VS
D. Merit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good = 18-20,000

Great = 22,000 +
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. Merit wrote:
Good = 18-20,000
Great = 22,000 +

Based on a related MA + a minimum 3 years of full-time, university-level TEFL experience. Salary commensurate with post-grad degree experience preferably gained overseas, especially in the Gulf region.

An "MA and some part-time teaching experience" (reduced from substantial experience to now some) is very likely to yield a lower salary. And that's contingent on getting past the initial resume/CV screening stage, being offered an interview, and subsequently, a job offer.
D. Merit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
And that's contingent on getting past the initial resume/CV screening stage, being offered an interview, and subsequently, a job offer.

Yeah sorry - forgot to mention that.

In order to get that salary you would actually have to be hired first.

Thanks for pointing that out. Rolling Eyes
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. Merit:

I was specifically referring to the qualifications the OP indicated, which you omitted when you quoted me. Anyway...

musaafira wrote:
Those of you who have experience working there or in the Gulf, what would be considered a good salary for an ESL teacher with an MA and some part-time teaching experience. That's all I'm asking. I am asking so that I may know if an offer is worth taking or not.

It would help to know exactly 1) what that part-time teaching experience entails (if it's actually TESOL); 2) how many hours a week, since it's part time; 3) over what number of years; and 4) where this teaching situation is. Otherwise, there's no clear answer because the vague info you've presented so far isn't likely to get a second look from employers in the UAE.

Anyway, I suggest attending TESOL International's annual convention and job fair next month (March 20-23) in Texas. There will be some university employers from the Mid East looking to fill positions for the upcoming academic year.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This poster is a time-waster. Ignore.
musaafira

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
D. Merit wrote:
Good = 18-20,000
Great = 22,000 +

Based on a related MA + a minimum 3 years of full-time, university-level TEFL experience. Salary commensurate with post-grad degree experience preferably gained overseas, especially in the Gulf region.

An "MA and some part-time teaching experience" (reduced from substantial experience to now some) is very likely to yield a lower salary. And that's contingent on getting past the initial resume/CV screening stage, being offered an interview, and subsequently, a job offer.

Thanks, this was the kind of feedback I was looking for. I just wanted to understand their standards and salaries based upon their standards. It's clear now.

And Scot, this was a genuine question and concern for me, if you think I'm a time waster then you shouldn't be wasting your own precious time replying to this thread.

Thanks again everyone else.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear musaafira,

"Thanks, this was the kind of feedback I was looking for."

While it may have been what you were looking for, I'm afraid, given your vagueness on your experience (i.e. some part-time teaching"), it's also likely irrelevant to your situation.

What did this "part-time experience" consist of? Actually, even that doesn't matter since no employer is going to figure it in when considering whether or not to employ you anyway.

Your qualifications/experience, then, would seem to consist of only this: an MA in ESL (or maybe it's in a "related field" - hard to tell from your posts.)

If that's indeed the case, you really don't have to worry about what would be a "good" or a "great" salary since it's highly unlikely that any reputable employer will give even a second look to such a CV.

Regards,
John
smedini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I would gladly give a number, but the situation is too ambiguous to even make a guess.

VS

Can you give me a number, VS? Does that figure sound accurate (Good = 18-20,000, Great = 22,000 +)? I've applied but I haven't heard back yet. As I said in another thread, my application has been "under review" for over a month, though I contacted a campus director directly and he told me that he checked and that it was now "available for viewing" for all the campuses. I am holding out hope based on the fact that it wasn't rejected, but just in case I get any further, I am curious as to what I should be holding out for Wink

~smedini
(MA Applied Linguistics, four years post masters teaching to adults - mostly academic and business - three years coordinating a government-funded program (concurrent with teaching experience), CELTA, DELTA (currently finishing last module), and IELTS Examiner (2.5 years and counting))
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: