Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MBA helps how much exactly?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishrush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: MBA helps how much exactly? Reply with quote

I am currently interviewing with a business engilsh job, and have an offer for a regular ALT in progress with all the visa fun and documents being sent in and whatnot.

My question is this; Once I am in Japan, will having an MBA help me get a better job? Or does it just look good on paper? My goal is to teach business english for a corporation and make better money. Am I naive or is this actually possible?

Thanks a bunch, random internet strangers...
steki47

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer is not definitive but based on my time here. If you get a job as a teacher, the company wants you to teach English. Having an MBA may indicate some knowledge of the business world (including the specialized jargon) but it does not have much relation to the art and science of teaching English as a foreign language.

I have taught business English and I have a BA in anthropology. Nothing business related.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Case by case, as the saying goes. Ideally, that MBA will also have some work experience in your clients' field so you actually know firsthand how to apply the jargon.
hagiwaramai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Business English jobs do pay better on a per hour and contract basis than most regular Eikaiwa/ALT jobs, but not that much more (roughly 1000yen an hour or 35,000 yen a month) that you'd think getting an MBA was worth it just for that, especially as you can them without an MBA and some jobs pay the same or more anyway, but if you get your Japanese to a business level, combined with the MBA it could mean a lot.
fishrush

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that was the vibe I was getting. I'm interviewing with a business english school, and hoping that I'll get it instead of your traditional ALT.

Oh and I didn't get the MBA just to teach in japan Smile, I just figured if it could help, then sweet. Just like in the US, I figured an MBA would be like an eagle scout medal, like "ooh neato" but not some mind blowing skill set that will make me some amazing employee.
hagiwaramai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with it. There's one called iBec in Tokyo that advertise a lot, if you haven't already heard of them, but some of their ads are for part-time jobs where you need to be here already.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: