Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are my chances?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ben.detw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: What are my chances? Reply with quote

I have been checking out this forum for quite sometime and I think I finally know what to ask. I am 25 with a BBA and half-way finished with my on-site masters (M.S) Interdisciplinary studies from SUNY Bangkok and a 120-hour on-site TEFL.

I have 4 years experience teaching at a public school here in Bangkok. Also, I have been working at Inlingua (Language center) after work for the past 3 years.

I would like to work in either Saudi Arabia or UAE as they have the most savings potential. My financial situation back home (US) is 30K worth of student loans that I would like to pay off with my middle east compensation.

My dad currently works for Mcgill university in Saudi and is on a multiple-entry visa so it might be possible to get a few days off to fly back to Bangkok to attend a few weekend classes.

So, my pie in the sky plan would be to work in Saudi or UAE for one or two years and then go to the country that starts with K to work in the public school system and eventually a university near Seoul.

I will finish my masters while in Saudi by flying back to Bangkok on the weekends the classes are held.

Is my plan feasible?

Thanks for your help!
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many weekends ? Have you checked flight costs ?

Will you have a multi ? Will your employer agree to frrequent absences ?

Bear in mind that in KSA the weekend is Thursday and Friday. The working week starts on a Saturday morning. If you have to be in Bangkok for THEIR weekend you will lose AT LEAST 3 days of the working week, maybe 4, depending on flight availability.

On the whole not such a smart idea.
Sheik Yerbuti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a bit late in the cycle...but you can apply to the usual
suspects ....entry level employers in Saudi that seem to have
the stuff to get teachers that have never been here before
visas..if they need folks to complete their school year (which
finish in June.) Shabaka, King Saud PYP...there are others.
PM me if you can't locate the contacts....
ben.detw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have 2 classes that require a Friday, Saturday and Sunday attendance. So with that being said, that is probably 6 days of lost wages (if the employer will even grant it).

Sounds like I should just finish my masters and then head off to the place everyone loves so very much!

My dad currently works for Mcgill Universisty and is on about $4200/month. If I am unsuccessful working for his company, how close can I get to his number?

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ben.detw wrote:
I will have 2 classes that require a Friday, Saturday and Sunday attendance. So with that being said, that is probably 6 days of lost wages (if the employer will even grant it).

My dad currently works for Mcgill Universisty and is on about $4200/month. If I am unsuccessful working for his company, how close can I get to his number?

As Scot47 mentioned, you'd lose 3 or more days of a work week, depending on the availability of flights to/from Thailand. And then there's the 4-hour time difference between KSA and Bangkok to consider, which means a long flight between the two countries.

Unfortunately, you won't find an employer willing to hire you for part-time work; it's not in their best interest to bring you aboard when they can get a full-time teacher. (Your young age of 25 is likely to be a factor anyway.) Besides, partial work would mean reduced pay, which wouldn't make good financial sense if you're intending to pay bills and roundtrip flights to Thailand with your earnings.

Right now, you have a BA and experience teaching kids and language school students. So scrap the idea of making what your dad earns at his full-time job. Stay where you are, finish your degree, be frugal in your spending and consolidate your US student loans. Gain a couple years' solid, tertiary-level post-grad degree teaching experience, and then apply for positions in the UAE.

Another option is to teach in SK with your current qualifications. It would mean cheaper flights and less travel time to/from Thailand. Plus, you should be able to save to pay off some of your student debt.
ben.detw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the sound advice. I really appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: