Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is a FBI CRC required to teach in Thailand?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myownwoman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Is a FBI CRC required to teach in Thailand? Reply with quote

I heard from fellow teachers that it is sometimes required. This is not a solid answer. I am glad Korea it is mandatory for everybody (regardless of nationality) we all know for sure. However in Thailand it can be an optional document.

To be 100% sure do I need a FBI CRC or not to teach in Thailand?

Thank you. Smile
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a FBI CRC required to teach in Thailand? Reply with quote

myownwoman wrote:
I heard from fellow teachers that it is sometimes required. This is not a solid answer. I am glad Korea it is mandatory for everybody (regardless of nationality) we all know for sure. However in Thailand it can be an optional document.

To be 100% sure do I need a FBI CRC or not to teach in Thailand?

Thank you. Smile

Do you need an FBI check = no.

Should you have a police check = yes.

It IS a listed requirement although it is often not asked for by immigration.

It IS usually asked for by better employers.

It looks better if you simply present it with your other documents when you apply for a job.

An apostille is NOT required (Thailand is not a member state of the apostille treaty).

myownwoman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you tttompatz for your helpful reply. I am going to get fingerprinted using live scan this week at the local sheriff's station.

Will I get a hard copy of the results from the Department of Justice (California)? I need that as my background check certificate.

Thank you again.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

myownwoman wrote:
Thank you tttompatz for your helpful reply. I am going to get fingerprinted using live scan this week at the local sheriff's station.

Will I get a hard copy of the results from the Department of Justice (California)? I need that as my background check certificate.

Thank you again.

You should ask for and get a hard copy of the result (typically a letter indicating "no record found").

steki47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity, does having a record mean one would have problems with immigration and employers.

For example, I was arrested twice when I was 19 (over 20 years ago) and never went to trial or did time. When I applied for substitute teaching at a local HS back in the US, these two arrests certainly appeared on my record.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steki47 wrote:
Just out of curiousity, does having a record mean one would have problems with immigration and employers.

For example, I was arrested twice when I was 19 (over 20 years ago) and never went to trial or did time. When I applied for substitute teaching at a local HS back in the US, these two arrests certainly appeared on my record.

Depends on the country in question.
Taiwan = yes.
Korea = yes.
Thailand = only it if is asked for (get around it by using an out-of-state check. FBI check and apostille not needed.
China = yes, it it is asked for.

Properly accredited international schools will usually reject any applicant who has anything other than "no record found" printed on their police check.

steki47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:

Depends on the country in question.
Taiwan = yes.
Korea = yes.
Thailand = only it if is asked for (get around it by using an out-of-state check. FBI check and apostille not needed.
China = yes, it it is asked for.

Properly accredited international schools will usually reject any applicant who has anything other than "no record found" printed on their police check.

I was asking specifically about Thailand, but thank you for the informative response. I'm in Japan, where a CBC was not needed.

You mentioned an out-of state check. My arrests were in one state and then I applied for substitute teaching in another state and the two arrests appeared.

Having said that, I can see why schools (and governments) would reject applicants with less than clean records.
kellrobinson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steki47 wrote:
I'm in Japan, where a CBC was not needed.

Does this mean that Japan does not require an FBI check? They merely require a check run by the state police?
steki47

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kellrobinson wrote:
steki47 wrote:
I'm in Japan, where a CBC was not needed.

Does this mean that Japan does not require an FBI check? They merely require a check run by the state police?

Nothing from law enforcement was required.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: