Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UAE or Qatar with baby?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksonnen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: UAE or Qatar with baby? Reply with quote

My husband and i are considering a move to the middle east later this year. We have a 5 month old and i will continue being a stay at home mom, and my husband will work. He has a BA in English, Masters of management, and a TEFL (but no license). He taught for 3 years in Korea, and has most recently been a campus director for a branch campus of a US University. Questions:
1. What kind of job prospects does he have? He would like to teach HS or Uni.
2. What kind of salary and benefits should he expect?
3. Could he support the three of us? What is rough cost of living?
4. Anything specific about having a baby in tow that we should consider?
5. We are looking primarily at Abu Dhabi and Qatar. Any pros/cons or suggestions of other spots?

Thank you!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a teaching license, he's not qualified to teach at the HS level. As for university positions, a relevant MA is preferred and several years of experience at the tertiary level. University positions in the UAE are competitive, and many applicants possess TEFL-related graduate degrees and experience.

Positions in Qatar are a mixed bag, but there's the Community College of Qatar. CCQ jobs are listed on Houston Community College's website. Other sites include TESOL.org's career page, higheredjobs.com, and chronicle.com.

Since you're located in Texas, he should consider attending TESOL International's annual conference and job fair in Dallas. It will be held in March. There are likely to be employers from the Mid East doing interviews on site to fill teaching spots.

Last edited by nomad soul on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KSA ? Ruled out ? Parts of it are excellent - as the curate said of his egg.
ksonnen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other countries that we should look at? We are also interested in Kuwait, but it seemed like there is really nothing there except Kuwait City (we would like somewhere with a few weekend trips in country). What is the situation in Oman like?

We ruled out KSA b/c it's too conservative/restrictive.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ksonnen wrote:
He has a BA in English, Masters of management, and a TEFL (but no license). He taught for 3 years in Korea, and has most recently been a campus director for a branch campus of a US University.

Ksonnen, if you could please clarify...
    How long has it been since he last taught English? What did that teaching situation entail?
    Was his TEFL cert via an online or onsite training course?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qatar is rather like Kuwait... basically one spread out city - surrounded by lots of sand. Cool If it is opportunity for weekend trips, Oman is probably the best choice. Beaches, mountains, deserts... lots to see actually. (or trips to Dubai for a different environment) If you read on the Oman board, he could likely get an offer from one of the recruiter-hired colleges spread around the country. Nomad Soul"s questions are relevant here too. (recognized cert and recent experience - preferably in Academic English... not conversation)

The money won't be stellar, but with the free housing and tickets, you should be able to live and even maybe save a little if you can manage to stay 2-3 years. (first year tends to cost a bit getting all set up in a new place) There are about a half dozen recruiters... all with rotating pros and cons. Laughing

VS
ksonnen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the husband of which she speaks. :)

I taught college English as recently as 2010, and I taught ESL in Korea for 3 years. I have a BS in English, a Masters of Management, and a TEFL Cert from 2005. I've run a Masters program here in the States and am currently the Campus Executive for a university branch campus.

Does anyone have specific recruiter recommendations for the Middle East, i.e. ones that specialize in Middle Eastern schools?

Thanks so much for all the helpful responses and insight.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the teaching *after* the cert? Who did he teach? What did he teach? Kids or adults or high school or university? Conversation or writing or reading? (universities want to see Academic English... preferably reading and writing as these are the weak skills of Arabic speakers)

How long has it been since he was in the classroom? If it has been too long ago, they won't recognize it. I will warn you that his management experience may end up hurting him... because the person interviewing him isn't looking for "teachers" who may be looking to replace him.

What kind of *cert* is it? Middle East employers usually require a 120 hour cert that provided supervised teaching. (not practicing with your cert classmates). No online or weekend certs recognized.

The only recruiter to be considered in the UAE is Teachaway, but they are only hiring teachers for the ADEC program for K-12 and require a state teaching license/certificate. (he's out for this one) Universities direct hire through their own websites.

There are none in Qatar. Again, look at Houston Community College's program in Qatar. Recruiters are actually unusual outside of Saudi Arabia. Oman has about half dozen for their system. Look at the ads and then do a search here to see the pros and cons... they all have pros and cons... and it they exchange pros and cons regularly. Cool

VS
Gulezar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: UAE or Qatar with baby? Reply with quote

ksonnen wrote:
My husband and i are considering a move to the middle east later this year. We have a 5 month old and i will continue being a stay at home mom, and my husband will work. He has a BA in English, Masters of management, and a TEFL (but no license). He taught for 3 years in Korea, and has most recently been a campus director for a branch campus of a US University. Questions:
1. What kind of job prospects does he have? He would like to teach HS or Uni.
2. What kind of salary and benefits should he expect?
3. Could he support the three of us? What is rough cost of living?
4. Anything specific about having a baby in tow that we should consider?
5. We are looking primarily at Abu Dhabi and Qatar. Any pros/cons or suggestions of other spots?

What is a "a TEFL (but no license)", no teaching license? You don't need a teaching license for universities, but they usually prefer a Masters in TESOL over an English degree. The Masters in management could be a plus for a management position in many schools.

Abu Dhabi is a nice place to raise a kid. There are beaches and parks, riding stables, and lots of kids classes and a lovely cornich for pushing a stroller along and eventually a bike with training wheels; so lots to spend money on and lots of free activities, too.

It's hard to consider "cost of living" until your husband gets a job offer, but a tidy $5000 + a month with housing and full insurance should go a long ways for a small family in Abu Dhabi. If you prefer picnics in the park, camping, watching camel races, polo and horse races and bird-watching in the mangroves, you'll do better than someone who wants the riding lessons for the kid, Ferrari World and ballet classes.

I don't know about Qatar, but Oman is an easy trip from Abu Dhabi for a weekend family outing.

One advantage of having a baby in the Middle East is that you will meet lots of people. Complete strangers will come up and admire your child and talk to you. After that ... with a baby, keep the kid hydrated and use sunscreen.
baa_baa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Very Happy *waves*

*pulls cheeks of the baby* awwww SO CUTE Razz *gives lollipop*

I think you ll like Abu Dhabi/Dubai. I dont know about Qatar and Oman but women can drive there. Kuwait is like UAE. (ahm..I think)Thats what I heard however the most modern is the UAE. GO there first, you ll get a chance to travel and decide if you want to stay or go to other places.

I think Oman and Qatar are a little quieter where as Dubai is loud and trying to have fun. SO many concerts SO many activities... GOOD LUCK!!!

Your kid will be happy in the UAE. You ll make good money, Idont know if you wll be able to save lol... take care
millie18

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qatar can be circumnavigated in less than a day.
Traffic is horrendous and will get worse by the government's own admission.
Attractions are limited, but life is what you make it wherever you go. If you need someone to figure it out for you, UAE or Oman, to a lesser extent would be better choices.

UAE - just turn on the TV to see all the attractions and distractions available. There are certainly weekend/overnight short trips to be made and lots of places to spend your money.

Oman would be my first choice, in terms of topography, geography and people.

Kuwait, can't comment because I've never been there. If having a glass of something fermented is desirable, don't go, not available.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do-buy is for me like something out of Dante's "Inferno". One of the circles of Hell. Blade Runner meets Abdul Albulbul Emir.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: