Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More BBC anti-Russian propaganda
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: More BBC anti-Russian propaganda Reply with quote

Maybe it is just me, but has anybody else noticed that whenever the BBC reports on anything about Russia is is always extremely negative? And not very objective either. So easy to tell there are continued diplomatic problems between the UK and Russia, eh?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21474931
Dedicated

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find the article anti-Russian, but anti-domestic violence.

The Russian Interior Ministry estimates that about 600,000 women are victims of domestic abuse every year, and 14,000 die from injuries inflicted by husbands or partners EACH YEAR.

Given these shocking figures, it is time for public perception of this issue to change. A draft law on domestic law has still not been introduced in Parliament.

So bravo to the brave Russian reporter who has flagged this up to an international audience.
coledavis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SashaD: I have noticed that I haven't seen much BBC coverage of items such as American burger chain reports 0% horsemeat, French nuclear power stations running well, German economy on a roll.
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: violence against women in Russia Reply with quote

sadly,this is a serious problem in Russia(and in many other countries,to be fair!)and the causes are many,alchohol being a big contributory factor,as well as stressful living conditions and traditional attitudes regarding gender roles.Brushing it under the carpet will not help either.....
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Cole, you are trying to say that the BBC is only doing its job by reporting the truth, which is usually bad news. Simply not so. There is as much of a political bias here, i.e. Russia-bashing (of both genders), as there is in reportage on Northern Ireland or the Middle East.
coledavis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe, but my emphasis was on the fact that bad news sells. I suppose the Beeb could say 'Russia boosts ailing tobacco industry', 'Depardieu says new film about Chechnya likely soon' and 'Russia responds to immigration concerns by not sending any more babies'. But it is unlikely to take that slant on things.

"Russia-bashing (of both genders)" - I did not understand the thing about both genders.

Northern Ireland - the news is quiet right at this moment, but there have been riots recently and some murders and murder attempts by splinter groups which oppose the peace process. (As the peace process is one signed up to by all the major parties - governmental, republican and loyalist - it is hard to envisage a coverage which supports the militant minorities except from media organs directly representing them.)

The Middle East. This is mainly a victory for the Palestinian public relations people as far as I can see. The BBC tries to represent the view both of the Palestinians and of the Israeli government, as far as I can see, but the aforesaid pr seems to be working rather well. Syria: mostly anti-Assad, but striving to pinpoint opposition abuses when it is possible.

My overall view: the BBC does try to achieve objectivity (except when it comes to the royal family), but doesn't always manage to. However, in its strivings it is pretty good, especially compared with a lot of the competition.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Cole, where do we begin with your ideological re-education!

The BBC, as the mouth-piece for state policy, chooses its words very carefully in order to promote state policy. For example, though mostly quiet in these times, the words used to describe the sectarianism in Northern Ireland in the bad old days were anything but neutral. One side was 'shot dead': the other side was 'murdered'.

The BBC's Middle Eastern coverage is again equally slanted - as would be expected by imperialists who once created the states there, and a fair number of the messes too.

So, when covering Russia, should we be surprised by the lack of even an attempt to give fair coverage? It is a typical tactic in spreading scare stories about various cultures to focus on the abuse of women and children. You can see the same process at work in descriptions of the Islamic world. The implicit suggestion in this article was that the Russian government condones Russian society's apparently naturally occurring violence against women, hence the lack of protection provided under the law. Would it be too much to expect an article pointing out that few people in Russia expect any protection by state authorities in the first place, mainly on account of serious weaknesses in the rule of law, for both men and women? May be less sensationalist, though. Too complex. Wouldn't paint as black a picture either...

Hic!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here. From the horse's mouth:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21628728
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:

So, when covering Russia, should we be surprised by the lack of even an attempt to give fair coverage? It is a typical tactic in spreading scare stories about various cultures to focus on the abuse of women and children. You can see the same process at work in descriptions of the Islamic world. The implicit suggestion in this article was that the Russian government condones Russian society's apparently naturally occurring violence against women, hence the lack of protection provided under the law. Would it be too much to expect an article pointing out that few people in Russia expect any protection by state authorities in the first place, mainly on account of serious weaknesses in the rule of law, for both men and women? May be less sensationalist, though. Too complex. Wouldn't paint as black a picture either...

True.

It seems like that would paint an even blacker picture.....

In the FSU, I have heard the family stories of abuses and have had dozens of women express their frustration and fatalistic view of their futures, but it's just a narrow focus of a much, much larger problem. Men have expressed their dismay at the future of their children, the inadequacies of the educational system, the corruption, it's all just a part of a much larger problem that they are transitioning through.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually may be more damning, in terms of legal realities. But it is not in any way as emotive or manipulative as is homing in on violence against women.
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To some maybe.

And I do agree that they are sensationalize the women thing, just like the Russians use the adopted children and so on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's official - Russia is not a rogue state! The BBC has announced this. Ura.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22307632

Some wonderfully sneaky distortions in this piece. See how many you can spot.
coledavis

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What distortions?

The long awaited bullet ... vodka-soaked tears ... Sashadroogie ... had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Aunty.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. All the unsubstantiated claims for a start. Threatening phone calls? No evidence, just the assumption that what the reporter is being told is the truth. Several high profile killings, shocking as they were, are being presented as political assassinations, though precious little evidence has been offered to support these half-claims.

This is sloppy, sensationalist journalism - the BBC at its worst. Even the opening sequence showing a table tennis club as a typical night out in Moscow is nowhere near an accurate portrayal of what is happening here.

Come on Beeb! Pull your socks up, and pull off those blinkers!
coledavis

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my recent experience of this country is that while lots of things happen, there is no court-level evidence. That's how it works. Similarly the killings can only be half-explained, mainly because the perpetrators seem remarkably unwilling to explain their motivation.

I thought there was an attempt to provide some unusual balance to the account. The table tennis was hardly the best seen since Richard Bergmann and the fact that the ball stayed on the table did suggest a staged event.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: