Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Impact of Immgr Law Changes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Impact of Immgr Law Changes Reply with quote

Do you suppose one of the effects of the new immigration laws will be to drive up wages here?

It is now potentially tougher to line up replacement teachers, making retention of those who already have permission to work that much more important.

Anybody yet seeing the impact of the new laws on recruiting, or wages on offer to those who are already here, and working?
notamiss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect that it will increase the proportion of non-native (i.e. local) English teachers, at the expense of native (foreign) English teachers.

Last edited by notamiss on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough to say...I think it will most certainly increase the number of foreigners working on tourist visas. I wonder if enforcement will also increase...they are very lax on that in DF.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
reddevil79

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone hired or know of anyone who has gone through the new immigration procedures?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching a few cases right now. One person was rejected outright trying to switch a tourist visa to a work visa on their own. Another used a 180 day tourist visa and managed to get the work visa after being sponsored by a school (which shouldn't be possible).

I'm watching a South African woman who entered on a business visitor she obtained in South Africa...she will be getting an independent work visa with help from lawyer friends.

I also know of a Frenchman turning his tourist visa into a spousal support visa.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
I'm watching a few cases right now. One person was rejected outright trying to switch a tourist visa to a work visa on their own. Another used a 180 day tourist visa and managed to get the work visa after being sponsored by a school (which shouldn't be possible).

Did the person who was rejected have a job offer? Re the successful applicant, did the school sponsoring him or her have some kind of palanca?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:

Did the person who was rejected have a job offer? Re the successful applicant, did the school sponsoring him or her have some kind of palanca?

The person rejected was trying for the independent visa we're all familiar with in DF. No support that I know of.

I don't know about the leverage the successful teacher had/found...hoping to find that out this coming week.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Isla Guapa wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:

The person rejected was trying for the independent visa we're all familiar with in DF. No support that I know of.

I don't know about the leverage the successful teacher had/found...hoping to find that out this coming week.

Keep us posted. I wonder what the person who was rejected will do now.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Impact of Immgr Law Changes Reply with quote

Tretyakovskii wrote:
Do you suppose one of the effects of the new immigration laws will be to drive up wages here?

It is now potentially tougher to line up replacement teachers, making retention of those who already have permission to work that much more important.

Anybody yet seeing the impact of the new laws on recruiting, or wages on offer to those who are already here, and working?

Nope. Wages haven't increased in 8 years, this law will just lead to a whole new crop of foreign EFL teachers working 100% under the table, so wages at the lingo-dingo schools will stay same or perhaps even drop.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Impact of Immgr Law Changes Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:

Nope. Wages haven't increased in 8 years, this law will just lead to a whole new crop of foreign EFL teachers working 100% under the table, so wages at the lingo-dingo schools will stay same or perhaps even drop.

YOUR wages might not have increased in 8 years, but I am early roughly double of what I was earning 5 years ago.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect wages to go up if supply of teachers drops while demand stays even. But, things in Mexico often have a way of bucking common sense.

Quote:
YOUR wages might not have increased in 8 years, but I am early roughly double of what I was earning 5 years ago.

In the business English realm, there were more start-ups last year than I've ever seen. Hourly wages are up over last year...170-200 is quite common now. Still some in the 100-140 range, but far less.
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen much increase in pay in the language school job ads, so Prof. Grumpy is right there.

But to the lurkers out there--that's not the only option in Mexico, especially if you commit to stay in Mexico for a time, you can move into better positions which have yearly cost of living increases and part of the labor code is the quinquenio--a longevity premium ontop of your pay after 5 years.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
I would expect wages to go up if supply of teachers drops while demand stays even. But, things in Mexico often have a way of bucking common sense.

Quote:

In the business English realm, there were more start-ups last year than I've ever seen. Hourly wages are up over last year...170-200 is quite common now. Still some in the 100-140 range, but far less.

I was easily making $150-180 an hour 5 years ago, not much of an increase at all...

I NEVER worked biz classes for less than $150 MXN per hour.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

I'm watching a South African woman who entered on a business visitor she obtained in South Africa...she will be getting an independent work visa with help from lawyer friends.

Connections are king in Mexico and trump any laws...Unless you are La Maestra and EPN is mad at you Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: