Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Secondary Hiring Season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mocc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Secondary Hiring Season Reply with quote

I'm a TEFL newbie and have decided to take the CELTA program in Bangkok before trying to find my first teaching job in Thailand. Since I will be missing the primary hiring season coming up in April, I would like to time the CELTA course about 5-6 weeks before the secondary hiring season.

When is the secondary hiring season for teachers in Thailand? Will there be enough jobs to choose from if I shop around or will it be slim pickings? I have thought about taking the CELTA in a month or two and then just doing part time work until the next hiring season rolls around but the thought of not having a work permit and doing multiple visa runs does not appeal to me.

Thanks for any insight.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't mention whether or not you had an actual undergrad degree.

IF yes then don't fuss over the CELTA. Come in April. Get a job. Do the CELTA on your break in October or next March. The degree is the requirement for the visa/WP/provisional teacher's license. There will be lots of entry level jobs here in April/May.

Alternatively, there is the mid term bump in Sept/Oct for jobs starting in the 2nd term (start late Oct.)

IF no legitimate degree then it won't matter when or whether you do the CELTA or arrive in Thailand since a visa/WP won't be in your future regardless of your CELTA. Any employer who is willing to hire you illegally won't be too fussed about your TEFL course.

Language centers are always hiring.

mocc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bachelors from a US university so my preference would be to find a job where getting a work permit is not a problem. I have some things I need to tie up before leaving so it looks like I'll aim for September/October. Thanks for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: