Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Age or Ethnic hurdles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonMill222

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Age or Ethnic hurdles Reply with quote

I would like the opinion of this forum on my particular situation, since there seems to be several posters with good experience and many respond with practical and down to earth advice.

I would like to attend a TEFL/CELTA school in Guadalajara and eventually teach in the same city. I own a house without mortgage and will be renting this out for a conservative $700.00 dollars a month after property tax and insurance and also have 3 years of savings consisting of another $700.00 dollars a month. Of course I hope I will not be forced to spend this full amount in 3 years, but it is available if I need it.

I�ve worked 30 years in the information technology field in the banking industry and also for large outsourcing companies. I believe the experience in my career would help me analyze English learners� problems and provide effective classes that would advance their abilities in the English language in a practical way instead of just providing the usual rigid classes.
My goal would be to start in the usual English school, but eventually lead to an independent provider of lessons to intermediate students who are more dedicated to the process of becoming fluent. I also have the dream of adopting Mexico as my new home country and marrying a woman best suited to my personal characteristics. (My mother, though born in the US, is of Mexican heritage)

With the above information, astute readers may glean two disadvantages that may affect the ease and possibility of fulfilling these goals.

1. Although my mother has passed family genes that allow me to appear 10 years younger than my age, I must face the fact that in being almost 58 years old there would be an age discrimination hurdle to overcome, whether overtly apparent or subconsciously covert.

2. My father is of German heritage and though I resemble him in many ways the influence of my mother�s heritage is dominant. I most definitely appear of Mexican descent, so much so, that on vacation to Guanuato one year, my Spanish teacher remarked that no one would ever suspect me of being a tourist.

I would greatly appreciate if those with adequate experience and knowledge could provide me with their opinion on each of these two points.

Would my age greatly affect my ability to start a new career in teaching English, first at a common school, and then later as an independent teacher?

Would the majority of schools or serious students fault me for my Mexican appearance and in what way?

I suspect that English schools would prefer blue eyed blond haired teachers to impress their students to enroll. Also I suspect these schools would prefer young teachers because they are more easily directed.

In any case I thank you in advance for any information you can provide.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer to both questions is no. There will be some schools that want young, easily managed teachers, yes, and some who want blondes, but you don�t want to work for those schools anyway. A few years ago I was in a job in which I hired teachers, and I personally preferred teachers over 40, and didn�t care how much over 40 they were, as I had many bad experiences with younger teachers flaking, or just giving one day�s notice and quitting. Your appearance shouldn�t matter for the most part either. Personally, I am half Mexican as well, and have a common hispanic last name and a common hispanic middle name (which is the name I go by) and it has only ever been an issue ONE time, with an employer who THOUGHT that students might be put off by my name and insisted that I go by my less hispanic sounding first name. Never had it be an issue with students. Sometimes they would ask, why is your last name �Rodiguez� and when I explained they would just say, oh, ok, and that would be it.
RonMill222

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAaahhh,,, GoodBeagleGood

I appreciate your succinct and thorough reply,
just what I hoped would be the case.

I've just now recuperated enough from the flu
I caught from my sister's family to post.

Your answer is much appreciated as it comes from
real world experience. You've given me the encouragement
to go forward with my plan with the confidence I need
to be successful.

Thanks so much!!!!
Ixchel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
The short answer to both questions is no. There will be some schools that want young, easily managed teachers, yes, and some who want blondes, but you don�t want to work for those schools anyway. A few years ago I was in a job in which I hired teachers, and I personally preferred teachers over 40, and didn�t care how much over 40 they were, as I had many bad experiences with younger teachers flaking, or just giving one day�s notice and quitting. Your appearance shouldn�t matter for the most part either. Personally, I am half Mexican as well, and have a common hispanic last name and a common hispanic middle name (which is the name I go by) and it has only ever been an issue ONE time, with an employer who THOUGHT that students might be put off by my name and insisted that I go by my less hispanic sounding first name. Never had it be an issue with students. Sometimes they would ask, why is your last name �Rodiguez� and when I explained they would just say, oh, ok, and that would be it.

I have the opposite problem. I speak Spanish natively (i.e. with a native speaker accent although it wasn't my first language) and have a Spanish last name (marriage.) I have what I call "generic ethnic looks." Black hair, light brown eyes and very fair skin that tans in the sun. Everyone assumes I'm hispanic no matter what I say (although they've assumed in many other places that I was a local as well.) I was accused by an assistant at one job of trying to "pass" and thinking I was better than everyone. All four of my grandparents are from Eastern Europe.
The whole thing is really funny. And silly.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age discrimination is very common in Mexico. Some adverts for EFL schools will state nobody over the age of say 35, 40 or 45 need apply.

White or Hispanic "looks" are OK.

Racism against both blacks and Asians is very strong in Mexico.
donato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
Age discrimination is very common in Mexico. Some adverts for EFL schools will state nobody over the age of say 35, 40 or 45 need apply.

I agree with the first sentence in that I've seen age requirement postings for jobs, but I've never seen it in an advert for a teaching job.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donato wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:

I agree with the first sentence in that I've seen age requirement postings for jobs, but I've never seen it in an advert for a teaching job.

The language mills aka schools often advertise or impose an age restriction... Think Interlingua, Harmon Hell, Quit Learning etc.
chica88

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say the age thing depends of what area of Mexico your in.
I do not know and have never been to the area you speak of wanting to live.

But, that being said I myself have never experienced age discrimination in Mexico at all.
However, I am a woman.
Sometimes I do feel they let it go with female teachers.
This is just what I have found to be the case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: