Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

private classes in Mexico City

View previous topic :: View next topic  
walknkris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: private classes in Mexico City Reply with quote

Hello everybody!
I am starting to give private lessons here in Mexico City and I would like to know what is a reasonable price to charge per hour. Also, do you offer discounts if your student goes more than once a week?
Thank you for your time, Kristen
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think a reasonable rate depends on your resume. More meaningful experience should cost more.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a highly experienced English teacher and charge $200 an hour. I don't give discounts if students come more than once a week.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
I'm a highly experienced English teacher and charge $200 an hour. I don't give discounts if students come more than once a week.

$200 pesos an hour is about right. Less and you are selling yourself short. I know some teachers, even Mexican English teachers (who often have a much better network) and they charge $300 pesos, even more per hour, to tutor rich kids...
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
Isla Guapa wrote:

$200 pesos an hour is about right. Less and you are selling yourself short. I know some teachers, even Mexican English teachers (who often have a much better network) and they charge $300 pesos, even more per hour, to tutor rich kids...

If I wanted to teach rich kids, which I don't, I would charge more than I do for my current crop of students, middle-class adults who are paying their own way.
FreddyM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I charge anywhere from $200 to $300 an hour, mostly to rich kids, no discounts. I think I'm undercharging, but it's an easy job (no preparation whatsoever) and I don't really have to travel much (10 minute walk at the most). Parents are happy and it's extra, easy money for me.

I know some people that charge $500 or more, mostly for just helping the kids do their homework. I may follow suit next year.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: private classes in Mexico City Reply with quote

walknkris wrote:
Hello everybody!
I am starting to give private lessons here in Mexico City and I would like to know what is a reasonable price to charge per hour. Also, do you offer discounts if your student goes more than once a week?
Thank you for your time, Kristen

Minimum 200 I'd say. Are you traveling to see them or are they coming to you?

I would only offer a discount for something favorable to me, such as adding more hours per day, instead of more hours per week - reducing travel time or making any distances more worthwhile to get to.

Quote:
I know some people that charge $500 or more, mostly for just helping the kids do their homework. I may follow suit next year.

Good plan. Dix is in that range with students at her school, usually around end of semester.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
walknkris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: private classes in Mexico City Reply with quote

Thank you all for your responses. They were very helpful. I had been thinking of 200 per hour if I have to travel as I am experienced (although not highly) and less if it is close to my home. However, this seemed high for many people. I teach middle class adults, like Isla Guapa, and I know how much disparity there is in the salaries of middle class professionals in Mexico. Many people I know through my husband have been working many years in their field and they are just barely getting by... But of course, on the other hand, there are also all the people who go to Starbucks everyday or who eat out at restaurants and spend 200 pesos for lunch.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: private classes in Mexico City Reply with quote

walknkris wrote:
Thank you all for your responses. They were very helpful. I had been thinking of 200 per hour if I have to travel as I am experienced (although not highly) and less if it is close to my home. However, this seemed high for many people. I teach middle class adults, like Isla Guapa, and I know how much disparity there is in the salaries of middle class professionals in Mexico. Many people I know through my husband have been working many years in their field and they are just barely getting by... But of course, on the other hand, there are also all the people who go to Starbucks everyday or who eat out at restaurants and spend 200 pesos for lunch.

I don't travel for classes anymore. If they want to study with me, they have to come to my place. But since I don't depend totally on my teaching income to pay the bills, I can afford to do this. For the kind of students I have, $200 an hour seems to be the most that they are willing (and able) to pay.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: private classes in Mexico City Reply with quote

walknkris wrote:

You have to value yourself as a teacher. I remember well, a friend of mine took a full-time gig at a colegio, so he offered me some private Ss, if it worked out mutually between the Ss and myself.

One guy was a youngish (early 30's) Mexican lawyer with a brand new BMW. He wanted to meet where it was easy for him, which was an hour travel time for me. He spoke of his just finished 2 week vacation to Switzerland with his novia... And then we talked about my fee. My friend had been charging what came out to about $170 an hour... This lawyer, said he wanted to pay me LESS... I told him, flat-out, I'll charge you $250 an hour, because of travel time, take it or leave it.

You have to play "hard-ball" with these people. Yes, they will drop 300 pesos for lunch and balk at paying $200 an hour for a real professional EFL class. I point out the cost of an EFL course at a lingo school, with an unprofessional teacher in a class of 20 Ss... I can custom tailor the course for each and every private Ss. Let them choose the book (from several that I suggest) and pay for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: