Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming on Tourist Visa (How to not get caught)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoazite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Coming on Tourist Visa (How to not get caught) Reply with quote

Well my original plan was to have a job lined up before coming to Japan, but as of a week ago, that plan was scrapped when the company suddenly rejected me (after having made an offer).

I am definitely coming to Japan anyways, and will try to find some work.

Main question is what are some tips to avoid getting stopped at immigration. How can I make myself less conspicuous?

Thanks for any help
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not smuggling dope. Just tell them you're coming as a tourist. Tell them you are job hunting and they will put you back on the plane. Nothing more than that. Officially, you ARE a tourist.

You'll need a round trip ticket, BTW, or the airline won't let you board. Keep that in mind.
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dye your hair black, and bring a camera. Speak in broken English. Squint your eyes. They might think you're Japanese.
thomthom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For someone with a round ticket and hand luggage they wouldn't be suspicious. In your case you'll probably have a single ticket and lots of baggage. I don't think it'll be a problems so long as you have a reliable place of residence to give (eg a proper hotel or a friend's house) and explain to them that the reason you don't have a round ticket is that you're hopping over to South Korea or wherever after a few weeks in Japan.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will still have to prove you're going there. Ferry ticket, for example.
heidigirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski,

Have you ben turned away at many airports for not having a return ticket?

How many times have you been denied entry (specficially) to Japan for not having a return ticket?
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sense you doubt what I have reported. Why is that?

FWIW, I've always had a return ticket. I'm just reporting what is pretty widely known. Go to LonelyPlanet.com/thorntree and ask the veteran travelers there, too.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2296182
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2233708
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2228039

It's not a certainty that you will be checked, but the airline is financially responsible for being sure you have a visa or proof of onward flight/boat.
heidigirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensed wrong. Just wondering about your own specfic experiences and not something you found on the "internet".

Widely known? By whom? Internet surfers? Rhetorical.

I have been to many countries with no return ticket. NEVER a problem. I have entered Japan 4 times with no return ticket (no forwarding ticket) and never a problem. I entered with a friend last summer, no return ticket, neither of us, no problem.

I just thought you could give the OP good advice and tell him that he really should have a return/forwarding ticket to avoid any problems. It is better than stating it as fact just because you can reference 3 lonelyplanet articles. (because it is not a fact)
teacher4life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski is being way, way, way overcautious. Some people have that personality trait, and maybe he or she is one of them.

Officially they could turn you away, but in reality they are very, very unlikely to do that unless they feel that you are likely to overstay or are undesirable for some reason.

Assuming you are from a western country and do not look destitute you should have no problem. I would not say the same about Chinese or most southeast Asians.

If questioned at all, just tell them you are on a round the world trip and do not have a fixed schedule and are headed for Korea next.
nightsintodreams

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal experience: I came here three years ago on a working holiday visa with a massive suitcase and a big bag containing things like an Xbox360, work clothes and even some family photos. I only had a single ticket and they didn't ask a single question about my intentions or check my baggage.
ssjup81

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came over on a tourist visa with a one-way ticket a few years ago and wasn't questioned surprisingly. I was nervous the entire time. Never again.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heidigirl wrote:
Sensed wrong. Just wondering about your own specfic experiences and not something you found on the "internet".

Widely known? By whom? Internet surfers? Rhetorical.
NON-rhetorical answer: did you even bother to read those links? If not, then I'm going to be a bit upset because the answer is there, and you STILL don't seem to believe me.

Your own experiences aside, I think you were lucky. Now, just think of these two things.

what if you WERE caught?
price of roundtrip tickets are usually cheaper than 1-way anyway.

Quote:
I just thought you could give the OP good advice and tell him that he really should have a return/forwarding ticket to avoid any problems. It is better than stating it as fact just because you can reference 3 lonelyplanet articles. (because it is not a fact)
Uh, it's as factual as airlines want it to be, as the links pointed out.
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightsintodreams wrote:
My personal experience: I came here three years ago on a working holiday visa with a massive suitcase and a big bag containing things like an Xbox360, work clothes and even some family photos. I only had a single ticket and they didn't ask a single question about my intentions or check my baggage.
That's probably because you had a visa.
hagiwaramai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski, no offence but I think your reading comp is a bit wonky today. Almost everyone here and on those forums you quoted said they did manage to get into Japan on a one-way ticket. I can't remember one person on them saying they were refused boarding. Those forums support what everyone else is saying. There were even some quotes there from people who had called airlines, JetBlue and Air Canada I think, and were explicitly told they didn't need to worry about only having a one-way ticket. I can understand being cautious but the overwhelming evidence is that it is not a problem, and if the worst comes to the worst, as someone said on those forums, you can just buy a ticket there and then on the net at the airport and then cancel it.

One more small thing, I was as surprised as you might be when I googled tickets from Beijing - Tokyo and found returns at 60,000yen and singles at 40,000. I'd always thought returns were cheaper too.
teacher4life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:

what if you WERE caught?

This "what if" thinking is often deemed a strong sign of generalized anxiety disorder by psychiatrists.

Don't worry, be happy! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: