Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does this job sound to you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure I 'get' your scattergun approach. TBH, I could see you landing in hot water with it. (Others may of course disagree). It would appear that you are just applying for all types of jobs doing all types of work in all types of places and hoping to find a magic formula to pick the right offer. Despite reading and posting in many threads you are still posting offers that cant really be judged because there isnt enough information to make sensible decisions upon.

There isnt a 'magic formula' in my opinion. Just common sense and smart practice.

Decide something - the difference between working in a training centre like Shane (possibly teaching 5 and 6 years olds all day on a Sunday) is a million miles away from teaching writing to a class of 70 university students. Ditto with location. Decide a place you want to go, if Hang Zhou is your first choice why apply for jobs in Bei Jing?

Asking questions is sensible. But making informed decisions is more important IMHO. You seem to be doing lots of the former and less of the latter....otherwise I reckon you'll end up taking a job based on little more than the headline salary (infact, thats all you really post when asking for advice now) and that is likely to lead to a world of trouble IMHO.

Decide on the nature of the work.
Decide on a location.
Have clear ideas on dates and your availability and flexibility.
Compare job offers that all fit in these three categories.
Contact current / previous employees.
Clarify visa situation.

Whilst I may agree with such a scattergun approach to dating (date all of 'em before settling down), I dont think applying for everything is the way to go when job-hunting.
mcloo7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denim-- These are jobs a recruiter is sending me. I'm not necessarily applying for them. The recruiter was referred to me by someone on here who has used them.

I have another one to ask about. I asked the recruiter if there were any short term jobs I could look into, where I could start that ASAP but would be done in time for me to take a university job starting in September. She sent me info about a job in Chengdu (which I had never heard of, but it seems interesting) 5 days a week, 25 classes, K-elemantary. 5500 rmb, free apartment. The only thing is it would be on a tourist visa, she said the school is licensed to hire foreign teachers, so does their sample contract, but that the process takes 6 months, and thats about as long as I would be there.
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DM,

I do not think the OP understood a single word you wrote.

DG

Last edited by DirtGuy on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
choudoufu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcloo7 wrote:
...The only thing is it would be on a tourist visa, she said the school is licensed to hire foreign teachers, so does their sample contract, but that the process takes 6 months, and thats about as long as I would be there.

1. add recruiter's email address to junk mail filter.

2. run
mcloo7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short term factor doesnt figure into to the visa thing at all?
mcloo7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually she said L or F visa, I'm not sure what the difference is. The recruiter was referred to me by a frequent poster on here, who has been helpful before, who said this recruiter did a good job with him. That is why I am somewhat trusting of this recruiter, although, I would not do anything that is known to be stupid, and I just told her that I wouldnt take a job without a Z visa. But I'm wondering if the fact that the job would just be for 5 months changes the VISA situation a little bit. I requested a short term job so that I could come to China and work ASAP, but also get a university job that would start in September.
GreatApe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:
Quote:
1. add recruiter's email address to junk mail filter.

2. run

+1 and SECONDED!

Just because their "sample" contract says they are eligible to hire foreign teachers does not make it so. It may be wishful thinking, or outright lying. Why risk it?

The fact that you would only be working there for 5 months means that the school wants to get you there ASAP, put you to work on an "L' or an "F" and avoid getting you the "Z" visa as a way of saving money, if, in fact, they are capable of getting you the "Z" in the first place.

--GA
mcloo7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recruiter just got back to me and told me that they would get the Z visa for me and it would take 6 weeks. She gave me a form to take to my doctor, and wants me to send it back to her filled out. I would get the visa from the Chinese embassy in America. Does it seem more legit now? Does 5500 RMB in Chengdu plus a free apartment, for 25 teaching hours a week sound reasonable, or is it too low?
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 weeks? I paid a little extra to have mine expedited in 5 days. My passport went to the embassy and came back with the Z visa inside. Hmmmm, I wonder how the process will work in your situation, but then I'm sure the ever-helpful recruiter will have it all figured out.

Try paying attention to the advice you are getting on this forum.

NEWBIES: This is a great example of how NOT to conduct a job search.

DG
mcloo7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtGuy wrote:
6 weeks? I paid a little extra to have mine expedited in 5 days. My passport went to the embassy and came back with the Z visa inside. Hmmmm, I wonder how the process will work in your situation, but then I'm sure the ever-helpful recruiter will have it all figured out.

Try paying attention to the advice you are getting on this forum.

NEWBIES: This is a great example of how NOT to conduct a job search.

DG

Couldn't you just tell me what you think I should or shouldn't do without the attitude?
choudoufu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcloo7 wrote:
The recruiter just got back to me and told me that they would get the Z visa for me and it would take 6 weeks. She gave me a form to take to my doctor, and wants me to send it back to her filled out. I would get the visa from the Chinese embassy in America. Does it seem more legit now? Does 5500 RMB in Chengdu plus a free apartment, for 25 teaching hours a week sound reasonable, or is it too low?

the time frame is more reasonable. the health form may be required to get
the work permit from the provincial authorities (varies) and/or to apply at
the embassy (varies). read the stickies/do a search to find out what info
is required on the form.

6 weeks would be about right for the entire process. they need to apply
for work permit and visa invitation, which could take 2-3 weeks. another
couple days to a week 'processing' at the school. 3-4 days to ems the
document package to you. once you apply, the embassy will process
your z-visa in about 4 days, faster if you pay for expedited service.

i think the pay is too low for the hours worked, especially if working with
very young chillin. those jobs lead to early burn-out and should pay higher.
anyways, 5500 for 25 hours is much too low. uni jobs pay on average
5500 for 14-16 hours with apartment. private schools will pay around
8000 plus apartment allowance (or 12K-ish total) for 25 teaching hours
and some office hours.

you might want to search the job listings for other K-elem jobs to compare.
remember to compare the entire package, not just the pay.
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP,

You are, and have been getting, good info, but it doesn't sound like you are paying attention.

I sounded just like you when I first decided to go to China. Then, after needing a shower every time I talked with recruiters, I started paying attention to what various posters had to say on this forum. It took a while to figure out which posters were worth listening to and which ones had an axe to grind, but I eventually separated the wheat from the chaff. Then I went in a certain direction and am so glad I did. I even went through a recruiter but I knew what to ask and could tell if was getting BSed or not.

A big problem is that you are not providing enough information. It's the totality of the package and not just a few selected highlights that matter. Your questions have all been answered in various threads elsewhere on this forum and just a matter of a little digging. Although I have to admit the search function on this site is not the best. That or I'm not using it correctly.

NEWBIES: Look at the whole package and be suspicious of big salary numbers. The bigger the numbers, the more digging you need to do.

My Y2 is get a uni job, in the fall, that is safe and easy. This country is pretty whacked and it will take time to figure out how it works. Do privates if you need more money. Once you have a handle on this place, then you can do whatever you like.

As for location, do you like it cold or hot? Stop stressing so much and let that question be your guide. Again, you can always move after the school year is over.

DG
mcloo7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choudoufu and Dirtguy, thank you both. Those posts were helpful.

Here is the one thing that I havent fully explained yet but its playing into my decision. I do want to look for a uni job. The only thing is, Ive been in my home town for nearly the last two years and I want to get out ASAP. I dont want to wait another 5+ months to go to China. So I asked the recruiter if she knew of any short term jobs that I could start right away, that would go through the summer, and while I'm there I could set up a uni job that would start in September. Do any of you know if something like that is doable?
choudoufu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you're wanted by the authorities, there's no good reason to move
to china ASAP! this is the one place where you need to plan carefully
before you move.

4-5 months is about the right amount of time to do research, make some
decisions as to where you want to work and what type of teaching, and
then start the process.

if i guessed the reason, i'd recommend venezuala. (no extradition treaty!)
mcloo7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, but I want to leave ASAP just because two years in my home town has already been long enough. I figure a summer in China, even if not for good pay, would be better than the same old thing at home. When I say ASAP, I mean about 2 months. I wouldnt want to jump into this either. I just really dont want to wait any longer than that.

I have been thinking about this for a long time, longer than 4-5 months. And some of the decisions as to my preferences, I'm really not going to know the answer to until after Ive tried them for myself-- such as what type of place Id like to teach, children or adults etc. I definitely take the advice I get here though, and think that a uni would be the least stressful job, which I'm definitely looking for. I'm just wondering if I could get short term work before the uni school year starts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: