Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'd like opinions on this job please!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:
ok, ok.....THIS one has got to be Hewlett!

Possibly, at the very least this thread might provide some valuable info for other desperate newbies.
Gibuchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear the reasoning behind the idea to decline, with the visa dodgery, but as I've read over in the forums, I was under the impression dodgery was to be expected in China?

as for Hewlett, I don't know who that is o.0
Gibuchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally, is it common practice to sign the contract upon landing, and not before? As people have mentioned, if I land and they don't like me, what's to stop them from saying 'psych!?
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibuchi wrote:
I hear the reasoning behind the idea to decline, with the visa dodgery, but as I've read over in the forums, I was under the impression dodgery was to be expected in China?

Wow.

A little dodgery might sometimes be acceptable.
What we are trying to tell you, based on experience, is that this is far too
much dodgery.

Last edited by rogerwilco on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Gibuchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing there's this forum to explain the difference between "a little", and "far too much"

Good advice, keep it coming!
Gibuchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerwilco wrote:
Gibuchi wrote:

Wow.

A little dodgery might sometimes be acceptable.
What we are trying to tell you, based on experience, is that this is far too
much dodgery.

Do it up, whatever amuses you.

But know, you're becoming offensive. Please, if you can't give constructive advice, leave the thread for other people who want to help, and who aren't jaded by us "desperate newbies".
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is one to avoid.

They are asking for a hell of a lot of working hours. With no TEFL experience you will find this job to be more than full time. Add in all the prep time you will need, even if they are providing material, and you wont have enough time for anything ... INCLUDING private teaching on the side (which many contracts, especially with training centres, expressly forbid).

The real killer thing, which has already been pointed out several times, is the visa thing. They are asking you to make a false application for a visa with a view to changing it later.

If someone is quite willing to ask you to apply for the wrong visa and lie to the embassy about your intentions and reason for travel ... its fair to assume they may be quite comfortable lying to you about your visa status when you are in China. Its quite a risk I think, especially in Bei Jing ... small towns in the middle of nowhere is where this stuff might fly, but in the capital city Id be very wary.

Something else to consider is that the Chinese embassy may sometimes require proof of your flights in and out of the country. If you are applying for a short term F visa you may well need to show a flight departing China within that F visa timescale. So this could mean booking a flight you cant take, which at best will involve hefty fees in changing flight dates later ... or at worst, losing that money altogether.

Im a little surprised you arent getting much in the way o response to applications? Who and where are you applying? You would appear to be pretty well qualified for China .. is your TEFL certification a 120 hour on-site with observed teaching practice? Have you tried people like Wall Street, EF, and some of the other big players in the training centre market?

Just remember .. this employer is telling you this is the visa process to comply with regulations. And this is a huge lie. It is actually a process they are following to totally avoid visa regulations.

BTW - Hewlett is an infamous ex-forum member who seemed to get himself into the most ridiculous situations by taking on the most insane of promises by shady employers and recruiters. He'd then post about having to live in a friends broom cupboard and selling off his laptop to get flight money home etc.
Nkengaola

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a relative newbie (been in China for eight months), take this advice with a grain of salt.

What you should do:
1. Apply to schools in smaller cities. I got a legitimate job offer, with Z-visa, with only a college degree and an online TEFL certificate, in a third tier city. The pay isn't fantastic, but it allows me to save about $500 a month, and still go out.

2. Read, read, read, and read some more. These forums are an EXCELLENT resource (even if you sometimes have to wade through the more negative posts).

3. Part of the problem you MAY be having is that Spring Festival just ended a week or so ago, and many schools are closed during that time. If you keep applying, you should start getting more responses, especially if you're young, white, and from an English-speaking country.

4. Even when you get a legitimate job offer, it will still take a few weeks to process your paperwork - maybe as long as six weeks for you to get your invitation letter, etc. for your visa. This is normal.

5. If they are not willing to show you the contract before you come over, RUN. If they are not willing to get you a Z-visa, RUN. These should both be basic requirements for any job offer.

6. If push comes to shove (and this statement will bring the most ire from regular posters), contact a recruiter. You probably won't get a great offer through one, but since they don't get paid unless they fill a position, it MIGHT make things a bit easier.

7. Expect your first job in China to be a serious learning curve.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibuchi wrote:

Do it up, whatever amuses you.

But know, you're becoming offensive. Please, if you can't give constructive advice, leave the thread for other people who want to help, and who aren't jaded by us "desperate newbies".

Not all newbies are desperate. All of us were newbies at one time, and we all need some help and guidance sometimes.

The people that are newbies, and are also desperate to find a job, are the ones that will be taken advantage of by the many opportunists in China.

You do come across as desperate for a job, and you also seem to ignore our repeated warnings.

What should we say to you ?
doogsville

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you looking for jobs? People here might be able to give you advice on that, which might open up a few more opportunities. My own advice on that front would be to look at expat websites for various Chinese cities, since these often have jobs advertised in them. Have a look at a map of China and Google some cities you might be interested in and then search for expat sites and take it from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: