Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warning Update again...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeopoldBloom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Warning Update again... Reply with quote

Once again for anyone considering teaching in China... please reconsider very seriously. There are many other places to go; do not take the path of least resistance just because jobs are plentiful in China. You'll very likely be miserable, not respected, often paid late and have few human rights. You'll very likely regret your decision to come to China.

China is bad place to teach and work. Look at my previous threads. I genuinely mean to help others avoid incredible misery career mistakes. I'm not out down 'China'. I'm out to help people avoid critical life errors.

I was last in China in 2010. I seriously doubt things have turned around that much since then. Perhaps the new leadership may help.

take care.

Bloom
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buh bye troll Laughing
Gaowen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Care to offer any specifics of these human rights abuses or lack of respect? In the three years I've lived in China I've seen a lot of people loving living here and some who don't like it at all.

However, I have seen nothing that would make me warn others off from at least trying it out for themselves.

I know you're just trolling but I'm genuinely curious as to what you found so bad about China.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, give it a rest. Present some solid facts to back up your claims or stop posting drivel.
LeopoldBloom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, you must be sent by the commi-naizi's spys browsing the board.

I have written volumes before in explicit detail and backed up everything I said.

People considering work in China should view my past posts to glean some understanding of why it's disastrous decision to work in the middle kingdom. I have already written many highly detailed and explicit posts and its tiresome to be repetitive. You're merely asking me to spend yet another 6 hours of time I don't have to go through everything in detail. Here's the word: Read my past posts. It's all there.

You may well have bee sent by the central government to monitor this site. Not at all unusual for China. Everything is monitored beyond Hitler there. That's fine. You're doing job-- and I'm doing mine. Not for pay but for the best interest of others.

Kungfuman, this is not an anti-Chinese post. Chinese are great. It's the present situation for foreign teachers I'm writing about, to warn people. Seriously. An admixture of things have made for a really, really bad working situation there. It's an awful life decision, teaching China. I'm not kidding. They're walking into a minefield.

I dearly hope the new government will better workers' rights situation both for the masses of Chinese people and the foreign teachers who come there for work. Be honest Kungfuman... you know it sucks.

Do Not TEFL in China! PM me for specifics.

Bloom.
LeopoldBloom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to Javelin the Radiance...

this is most certainly not a "troll". This is a serious, deeply experienced post about both the domestic and foreign workers rights situation in China which is beyond dismal. There was a time when it was good for foreigners and a mixed bag for domestic workers. No longer. It sucks for everyone working there now.

Work in China needs to be a lot better. I was there.

PM me for details.

Bye, bye Javelin the troll!

Bloom.
LeopoldBloom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to Gaowen...

I certainly will again go into everything. Honestly, it's a task that makes me tired.

It's 2013. My life is so good now. Why do I come back to this again and again...? Because I don't want anyone else to experience the Hades I did in China.

And I want them to understand that when it comes to work, it's a gamble. In China, the odds are heavily stacked against you. The workers' rights are practically absent. Your employer owns you. And you're poor and half way across the world. Awful situation if you lose! At least in Korea or Saudi you have money to get you out.

Gad, I'm so busy now. Don't let these guys, Gaowen etc who are either school owners, recruiters or government Chinese monitors fool you. Teaching in China is a total scam. Again: see my detailed past posts or PM for details.

Bloom.
xiguagua

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly not "OWNED" by my employer. Heck, I've only even MET them once. If I wanted, I could easily just leave and be out of the country before anyone here noticed I was gone, and many foreigners have done just that at their jobs.....

Not sure what podunk POS school you got scammed into working at, but chances are it was your own dumb fault.

Also, in before being accused of "working for the Chinese government" because we all know, if you disagree with me, you must work for the Chinese government. This post was good for a laugh before I go to sleep.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeopoldBloom wrote:

Work in China needs to be a lot better. I was there.

Bloom.

Id prefer to listen to the people who are there now.
ecubyrd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You admitted that you haven't been here in 3 years, so you aren't exactly the one to be telling people about current day China working conditions. Also, perhaps it was just you that made a "disastrous decision to work in the middle kingdom". Everyone I know is doing well here.

Boohaha, at the insinuation of many people on this site being recruiters, school owners or government monitors.

I'm not interested in digging through old posts to see why "you" had such a bad time of it. Anyway, keep up your fight for whatever reason you feel the need to still yammer on it about several years later.
MisterButtkins

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently working 6 hours a week. I'm a slave. And my boss practically controls my life. Once a month or so, she will call to tell me to make sure I stay in my apartment because they are coming to give me an envelope full of money. I can't leave on that day until I get the envelope. It's like being in prison! And every 4 months or so my boss will call to ask me to attend a party. We have hot-pot or spring rolls and all the beer you can drink. What a nightmare!
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@LeopoldBloom

Are you married to Lancy Bloom? If not, you two should hook up .. you'd get on like a house on fire.
vikeologist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pity that the OP had such a negative experience in China. My experiences have been positive, and the experiences of everyone I know have been positive. Of course this may be because most of the foreigners I have met have been at the same schools as me, and therefore in the same broadly positive situation.

I'm not suggesting that there aren't challenges, but in nearly 4 years in China, the only time I've come across someone saying 'oh, this is a nightmare. I should never have come to China' is on this site.

But look, coming to teach in China is a huge gamble. I'd like to think if you come with a positive attitude, do your research and are conscientious, then things will be ok, but I guess we have to accept that's not going to be universally true.

This forum can be a bit depressing sometimes with paranoid, delusional rantings that I simply don't actually come across in real life.

I'm sort of the anti-Leopold Bloom in that, in various ways, I encourage people to come to China to teach, and it does bother me that my positive experiences may not be the norm in China, but honestly, how can I know?

Although I may be wrong, I don't believe that the posters on this site are representative of teachers in China. The posters on this particular thread so far are.
ecubyrd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denim-Maniac wrote:
@LeopoldBloom

Are you married to Lancy Bloom? If not, you two should hook up .. you'd get on like a house on fire.

Laughing Yep, good one, DM. I found the "Bloom" thing ironic as well.
kev7161

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kungfuman, this is not an anti-Chinese post. Chinese are great. It's the present situation for foreign teachers I'm writing about, to warn people. Seriously. An admixture of things have made for a really, really bad working situation there. It's an awful life decision, teaching China. I'm not kidding. They're walking into a minefield.

I've had a couple of bad working experiences in China and I'm not overly fond of this country for various reasons. But to say "a really, really bad working situation . . . " is just not my experience.

I make a great salary, I have a fully paid-for apartment with utilities, I live right in front of a busy bus stop with a subway entrance right in front of my school (which is right across the street from where I live). Within walking distance is a major mall with a nice grocery store with plenty of choices of western products, produce, meats (even ground chicken . . . finally!), dairy, etc. There's a movie theater right down the road from me, a Starbucks very nearby, and more. I really want for nothing at the moment. The environment around here is okay, lots of blue sky days.

My job is fairly easy. I go into work in the early AM and am usually out between 2 and 3 PM. I don't work weekends (unless of course they switch days around to make up for holidays - - okay I do dislike that a lot, I'll admit), don't work nights, don't work overtime, but still get paid a ridiculous amount of money. The kids are bratty (it is a private school after all), but not all of them and those that are I can easily handle. My co-workers are decent people for the most part and my classroom is well heated or cooled and it has a state-of-the art big-screen computer/display unit. I have all the teaching materials I need provided by the school.

So, yeah, I read the horror stories from other people about horrid schools they've worked for, but I don't think one person can make a blanket statement about the horrible working conditions based on his or her own personal experiences.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: