Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering Middle East Move - Advice Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gman-eire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Considering Middle East Move - Advice Please Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
I have been lurking and reading many posts in here this past week about teaching jobs in the Middle East. Now I would like to run my situation past you please, and hopefully can get some kind advice.

I am currently teaching primary school in Thailand in an English Program in a private Thai school. I have several years experience, I teach a full schedule of classes each week as Homeroom Teacher and I am also the Deputy Head of the English Program. I am married, I have one nearly 4 year old son, and son number 2 is due in mid-April. I really love teaching, and I love Thailand, but the problem is it is impossible to save any money here month to month, (I even own my house outright, and have a second job at night and still I break to zero financially towards the end of each month.

Since baby number 2 is due in April coming, I am now currently researching a move to the Middle East in approx 3 years time. I am considering moving the family lock stock and barrel, and making a long term commitment perhaps 5 - 10 years. The goal will be to save money over this period, then return to Thailand to teach again.

I am Irish and also a Canadian Citizen

My educational qualifications are as follows:

B.A. Degree (Major: Anthropology) from UPEI in Canada
Post Graduate Dip in Business Studies UCD Ireland
TEFL Cert with teaching experience.
PGCEi University of Nottingham (I will be finished this next month)
I plan on continuing on from my PGCE with Uni of Nottingham to complete an M.A. in Education projected end date mid 2015. (I aim to have the Masters finished before I would make a middle east move).
I will have 6+ years teaching experience by the time I am ready to move on this.

I am not a certified teacher unfortunately (Ok, I will have a Thai Teachers License mid this year, but I think I am right to assume being a certified teacher in Thailand will mean zero for jobs in the ME)

I take a long term view of everything in life. I am prepared to work my way up the ladder over the first few years. I have a very positive attitude that way.

My questions relate around what sort of job would I expect to aim for in the Middle East?
What sort of salary and is there prospects increasing salary over time? Which location would be best for me to target with a Thai wife and young children?
Do people think financially this could be a viable move?
Not being teacher certified from my home country (Ireland) I know there would be no/very slim chance of getting into a top pay international school. But is there still hope for me somewhere not bring certified?
I also would considering teaching adults.

Any additional insight re my own personal situation here, would be greatly appreciated, and offer thanks in advance.

Kindest Regards
G
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get an idea of jobs and requirements in the region, periodically check out the job fair offerings posted on TESOL Arabia's site.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try KFUPM/DDC
douglas1969

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering Middle East Move - Advice Please Reply with quote

Gman-eire wrote:

and still I break to zero financially towards the end of each month.

The goal will be to save money over this period, then return to Thailand to teach again.

What makes you think you won't break to zero in the ME? Its a much more expensive place to live. Perhaps you just need to re-arrange your finance planning.

The ME is good, especially if you happen to be one of those other 1,000's of Canadian teachers that got pumped out of teachers college with no job prospects for the forseeable future, but its not the Oil & Gas industry -- meaning you won't get rich in the ME. You would probably have to live modestly to save lots of money. Just my 2 cents.
Gman-eire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback so far. Yes that is what I am trying to get a feel for, is with me and a wife and 2 kids, qualifications etc, would be it worth if moving to the ME to save money based on my situation? In Thailand the pay is not good at all to be honest, unfortunately rearranging finances won't do it.
Having dependents, I am really trying to research the ME job opportunities to find out if the ME could work for me?
douglas1969

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gman-eire wrote:
Thank you for the feedback so far. Yes that is what I am trying to get a feel for, is with me and a wife and 2 kids, qualifications etc, would be it worth if moving to the ME to save money based on my situation? In Thailand the pay is not good at all to be honest, unfortunately rearranging finances won't do it.
Having dependents, I am really trying to research the ME job opportunities to find out if the ME could work for me?

Once you get an offer, there are sites and forms directed towards expats where you can get a spreadsheet which will help you determine roughly how much you *might* be able to save with the salary you get. PM me if you cant find it and i can direct you.
Gman-eire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding potential savings in ME especially Saudi maybe, considering I have a wife and young sons, I would in very happy at saving $700-800 p month/$10,000 per year. 6 - 7 years of that would allow me to come back to Thailand with a nice sum of money for buying rental property etc.

I gather from reading on this forum, that usually if one is discreet, there seems to be plenty of opportunity for moonlighting as a private tutor in the evenings/weekends. Or indeed day job overtime for those who want it?
I already work 3 jobs here in Thailand, sometimes 14 hour days, so certainly I am willing to work as much as possible if I go the the ME.

It appears Saudi Arabia may be the best country to target, head down, work as much as possible and save.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have met lots of EFL teachers in Saudi with Thai and other S.E. Asian wives. Many of them yo-yo to and fro. Typically they like the money but not the lifestyle. Some do two years, go back to Thailand and then regret it.

Diiemmas !
douglas1969

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
I have met lots of EFL teachers in Saudi with Thai and other S.E. Asian wives. Many of them yo-yo to and fro. Typically they like the money but not the lifestyle. Some do two years, go back to Thailand and then regret it.

Diiemmas !

Why do they go back to Thailand for the lifestyle? Is it because its less strict and no bans on alchohol and other stuff or something else?
Gman-eire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Some do two years, go back to Thailand and then regret it.

Diiemmas !

Very interesting Scot, "then regret it" .
The wonderful life style in Thailand, when reality sets in must not compensate for the terrible low pay, and being broke, when compared to Saudi. This is a very important nugget of information for me.

The average going rate of pay in Pattaya where I live is $1200 per month. Ok if you are single, but with a family it's very hard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: