Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1k per month realistic?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: 1k per month realistic? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I've read through some of the archives here, and some on forumosa as well. I actually lived in Japan for a long time, and while I was there I sometimes checked in with the Taiwan boards just to see hot things were there.

Anyway, I'm considering a move to Taipei and I'd like to know if, given current conditions, it's realistic to hope to send $1,000 Canadian (or US, as it's basically the same now) home each month. That was my habit in Japan, and I'd like to keep it up.

My situation is that I have a job lined up that will pay about 590 per hour, and I should be getting between 20 and 25 hours per week. So, let's say 55,000 per month from my main job. I'm kind of going on the assumption that 40,000 per month is enough for a decent lifestyle. That would leave me 15,000, which is about $500. Then I could do some tutoring to make up the remaining $500?

Does that seem realistic? I've seen a wide variety of comments about how expensive it is to live in Taipei and how much people can realistically save. It's a bit difficult to get a sense of what is realistic.

Cheers for any thoughts.
teacher4life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will take you some time to build up contacts, but if you hit the ground running maybe it will only take 3 months to get there.
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

3 months to build up the contacts for tutoring and perhaps other part-time work? I suppose that's not so bad. I have my main job already lined up if I want it, so I don't have to worry about that. I was kind of hoping I'd be able to get up and running a bit faster. I just realized that I forgot to figure in tax as well Smile so I'd probably be saving relatively little out of my salary, and would have to make my 1k through tutoring and perhaps part-time work. Hmmmm.....

I'm used to Tokyo, where it's very easy to pick up private students or part-time work, but it seems different in Taipei.

Do you think that 40,000 is a reasonable monthly budget in Taipei? I don't have a terribly extravagant lifestyle. If anyone knows Tokyo, I kept my monthly budget around 200,000 yen.
teacher4life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are by yourself, live in a shittiesh apartment, and don't have fun you can live on 40,000 per month. 46,000 and your life will be much more interesting. With that extra 6,000 per month you can eat better, study Chinese, live in a better apartment, or get a couple happy massages per month.
Taiwanease Guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that you'll be taxed at 20% if you arrive in the second half of the year - you'll eventually get that money back, but you'll feel the hurt initially. Privates (and jobs in general) are thin on the ground. There are still some jobs out there, but they are fewer and farther between.

Check out the forums at taiwanease.com if you have any questions. The posters there have a lot of collective experience. Cool
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

3 months to build up the contacts for tutoring and perhaps other part-time work? I suppose that's not so bad. I have my main job already lined up if I want it, so I don't have to worry about that. I was kind of hoping I'd be able to get up and running a bit faster. I just realized that I forgot to figure in tax as well Smile so I'd probably be saving relatively little out of my salary, and would have to make my 1k through tutoring and perhaps part-time work. Hmmmm.....

I'm used to Tokyo, where it's very easy to pick up private students or part-time work, but it seems different in Taipei.

Do you think that 40,000 is a reasonable monthly budget in Taipei? I don't have a terribly extravagant lifestyle. If anyone knows Tokyo, I kept my monthly budget around 200,000 yen.

You can make the extra money. However, unless things have changed, teaching children on Tuesdays is difficult. You won't be able to get many hours on those days.

Your best bet might be doing online teaching in the morning. Online teaching in Japan or South Korea would pay more than in Taiwan.
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taiwanease Guy wrote:
Keep in mind that you'll be taxed at 20% if you arrive in the second half of the year - you'll eventually get that money back, but you'll feel the hurt initially. Privates (and jobs in general) are thin on the ground. There are still some jobs out there, but they are fewer and farther between.

Check out the forums at taiwanease.com if you have any questions. The posters there have a lot of collective experience. Cool

Hmmm, privates thin on the ground eh? Bad news. I have my main job lined up if I want it, but I wasn't expecting that privates would be hard to find.
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
Mark wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

You can make the extra money. However, unless things have changed, teaching children on Tuesdays is difficult. You won't be able to get many hours on those days.

Your best bet might be doing online teaching in the morning. Online teaching in Japan or South Korea would pay more than in Taiwan.

Difficult on Tuesday? I wonder why. Is there something special about Tuesday?

I don't normally teach children anyway. My main job would be teaching adults, and I had expected to supplement that with adult tutoring. I actually already do some online teaching in Japan, so at least there's that.

Doesn't online teaching in Korea pay like $10/hr usually? I didn't think it was well paying - though maybe I'm wrong about that. Is $20/hr for tutoring in Taipei unrealistic then?

Hmmm, things are not looking promising on the money front. Maybe I'll end up having to pass on Taiwan.....
JZer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
JZer wrote:
Mark wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I don't normally teach children anyway. My main job would be teaching adults, and I had expected to supplement that with adult tutoring. I actually already do some online teaching in Japan, so at least there's that.

Doesn't online teaching in Korea pay like $10/hr usually? I didn't think it was well paying - though maybe I'm wrong about that. Is $20/hr for tutoring in Taipei unrealistic then?

Hmmm, things are not looking promising on the money front. Maybe I'll end up having to pass on Taiwan.....

I am sure that someone who has been in Taipei for many years can do it. However, I don't think many people are saving $1,000 a month only teaching adults. I would say the highest paid jobs in Taiwan are working at high schools part time. Part of the reason is that there is no middle man if you line up the work yourself. When you work at a language school, the boss is out to make a profit.
JZer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Oddly enough, the school day doesn't end at the same time every day.

Usually students get out of school around 12PM on Wednesdays. Wednesday is a big team for buxiban teaching.
phdinfunk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Taoyuan I had a nice place, and had a lot of fun and my cost of living budget was about 40k per month. Out in the country where I live now, it's under 30k a month and I'm very happy.

Rent + 899 internet + approx 2000 for utils + 500/day feels GENEROUS for me to eat and buy little things (i.e. I went to the dentist for $150 today) = 18,000 + Rent. Toss in another 5k and you can take a weekend trip every month if you want. I pay as I go on my phone (If Card, Fareastone telecom).

Rent in Taoyuan, for a 14th floor apartment with big beautiful windows, good security, and everything super nice was 12k. Rent in Puli for 3 bedrooms, top floor, panorama views and good security is 8k. I have friends who rent low in Greater Taipei. Actually my buddy in Danshui has a much nicer place than I have, and it's cheaper.

I've found this daily budget NEVER makes me feel like I'm scraping.... Of course, I only drink once or twice a week, but I also eat whatever I feel like eating, take my girlfriend to movies and restaurants, etc....

I also buy my clothing at the trad. markets and I never shop at 3c or anything like that. I'm not a big consumer, so I never feel skint.... actually, I never even THINK about money.

But I've been here for five years. My first year was significantly less sensible. I had a phone contract, etc.... I got nickeled and dimed and hundreded and fiftied.....
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
Mark wrote:
JZer wrote:
Mark wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I am sure that someone who has been in Taipei for many years can do it. However, I don't think many people are saving $1,000 a month only teaching adults. I would say the highest paid jobs in Taiwan are working at high schools part time. Part of the reason is that there is no middle man if you line up the work yourself. When you work at a language school, the boss is out to make a profit.

Ah, I see. I'm fine with high schools - I did that for many years in Japan. Part-time high school during the day, and adults in the evening. I'd be more than happy doing that.
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phdinfunk wrote:
In Taoyuan I had a nice place, and had a lot of fun and my cost of living budget was about 40k per month. Out in the country where I live now, it's under 30k a month and I'm very happy.

Rent + 899 internet + approx 2000 for utils + 500/day feels GENEROUS for me to eat and buy little things (i.e. I went to the dentist for $150 today) = 18,000 + Rent. Toss in another 5k and you can take a weekend trip every month if you want. I pay as I go on my phone (If Card, Fareastone telecom).

Rent in Taoyuan, for a 14th floor apartment with big beautiful windows, good security, and everything super nice was 12k. Rent in Puli for 3 bedrooms, top floor, panorama views and good security is 8k. I have friends who rent low in Greater Taipei. Actually my buddy in Danshui has a much nicer place than I have, and it's cheaper.

I've found this daily budget NEVER makes me feel like I'm scraping.... Of course, I only drink once or twice a week, but I also eat whatever I feel like eating, take my girlfriend to movies and restaurants, etc....

I also buy my clothing at the trad. markets and I never shop at 3c or anything like that. I'm not a big consumer, so I never feel skint.... actually, I never even THINK about money.

But I've been here for five years. My first year was significantly less sensible. I had a phone contract, etc.... I got nickeled and dimed and hundreded and fiftied.....

Good to know. Nice to see figures. But the job I have lined up would be in Taipei, and I'd be going to different schools on different days, so I'd probably need to live somewhere reasonably central.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Where in Tokyo are you living? It seems to me that you'd be better off living and working in Tokyo as a free-lancer.

I say this because if that's the idea for you in Taipei - working at various schools - then Tokyo would have much more work since it's so much bigger.

You'd also probably earn more money. I know that some people are earning 400,000 - 500,000 Yen a month free-lancing as part-time university teachers, high schools, conversation schools and then corporate classes in the evening.

I'm sure you know the score, since you're there already. But that's my take on it. Not that Taipei is a bad place to be located and teaching. For sure there are worse places to be.
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:
Mark,

Where in Tokyo are you living? It seems to me that you'd be better off living and working in Tokyo as a free-lancer.

I say this because if that's the idea for you in Taipei - working at various schools - then Tokyo would have much more work since it's so much bigger.

You'd also probably earn more money. I know that some people are earning 400,000 - 500,000 Yen a month free-lancing as part-time university teachers, high schools, conversation schools and then corporate classes in the evening.

I'm sure you know the score, since you're there already. But that's my take on it. Not that Taipei is a bad place to be located and teaching. For sure there are worse places to be.

I lived in Japan for 8 years (back in Canada now) so I was looking for a change, and I'd like to try my hand at learning Chinese. I just have this rule about sending 1k back home every month. I'm paying off some debt, so I need to keep that up for a the next year or two.

You're right, though, that financially I'd be a lot better off in Tokyo. Sending 1k home a month was never a problem. It's pretty easy to work your way into making 400,000 or 500,000 a month. 200,000 or 250,000 for monthly expenses, and the rest is savings.

I have some good connections in Taiwan, so I imagine I'd work myself into a decent situation, but the money situation seems to be not quite as good as I had hoped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: