Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warning Update again...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeopoldBloom wrote:

Glad that it is a good experience for several people there and things can work out. I post from time to time to remind people considering China to be extremely careful. Some jobs in China can be absolute misery and you will have little recourse to get out of them other than returning home on your $. Don't take a job in China on a whim! Thoroughly research the place and school and the many things before you get on a plane.

Id agree with this ^^^

LeopoldBloom wrote:

Good luck all. (And no I'm not married to "Lancy Bloom". I'm married to Molly Bloom.)

And Lancy Bloom also frequents this board and posts anti-work in China messages. It seemed odd that you had similar names and posted similar messages.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These warnings apply to every country really. Once you're on foreign soil you're at the mercy of local employers and local officials who may or may not have your best interests in mind. Have a peek at the other forums on this board, China, Vietnam, Saudi, South America, same stories and same discussions over and over, with slight variations.
xiguagua

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Quit Lying to Yourself..Get a Real Job Reply with quote

BeijingBill wrote:
"I make a great salary, I have a fully paid-for apartment with utilities"

Please Stop....If you think making under $30,000 is a great salary, you need to stop. And dont tell me you can save more in China, because you can save anywhere if you try.

This argument is retarded. Cost of living in America is GREATLY different from cost of living in China.

think about your life in America. If you were a person without a spouse or kids...... had a job in America that gave you a very good free furnished apartment and utilities and only required you to work 20 or less hours a week, but it only paid $30,000. you'd probably be stupid to pass it up.

How much of your paycheck is eaten by home and utilities? That's usually peoples biggest financial burden. But irregardless........you CANNOT compare making 5,000yuan in China to living off 5000yuan in America.....it's just a stupid comparison.
xiguagua

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeopoldBloom wrote:

Glad that it is a good experience for several people there and things can work out. I post from time to time to remind people considering China to be extremely careful. Some jobs in China can be absolute misery and you will have little recourse to get out of them other than returning home on your $. Don't take a job in China on a whim! Thoroughly research the place and school and the many things before you get on a plane.

I also like how the OPs tone of this whole thread turned from "You must be stupid to teach in China" to "Don't be stupid like me; do research before you go"
JZer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeopoldBloom wrote:
Oh no, you must be sent by the commi-naizi's spys browsing the board.

I have written volumes before in explicit detail and backed up everything I said.

People considering work in China should view my past posts to glean some understanding of why it's disastrous decision to work in the middle kingdom. I have already written many highly detailed and explicit posts and its tiresome to be repetitive. You're merely asking me to spend yet another 6 hours of time I don't have to go through everything in detail. Here's the word: Read my past posts. It's all there.

You may well have bee sent by the central government to monitor this site. Not at all unusual for China. Everything is monitored beyond Hitler there. That's fine. You're doing job-- and I'm doing mine. Not for pay but for the best interest of others.

Kungfuman, this is not an anti-Chinese post. Chinese are great. It's the present situation for foreign teachers I'm writing about, to warn people. Seriously. An admixture of things have made for a really, really bad working situation there. It's an awful life decision, teaching China. I'm not kidding. They're walking into a minefield.

I dearly hope the new government will better workers' rights situation both for the masses of Chinese people and the foreign teachers who come there for work. Be honest Kungfuman... you know it sucks.

Do Not TEFL in China! PM me for specifics.

Bloom.

China is so terrible. Earn $2,000 a month or more or work at McDonalds back home for $1,200 and you probably have to own a car to get to work in the United States and Canada.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xiguagua wrote:
I also like how the OPs tone of this whole thread turned from "You must be stupid to teach in China" to "Don't be stupid like me; do research before you go"

i'm not buying it........as we all know, a leopold can't change his spots.
JZer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Quit Lying to Yourself..Get a Real Job Reply with quote

xiguagua wrote:
BeijingBill wrote:
"I make a great salary, I have a fully paid-for apartment with utilities"

Please Stop....If you think making under $30,000 is a great salary, you need to stop. And dont tell me you can save more in China, because you can save anywhere if you try.

This argument is retarded. Cost of living in America is GREATLY different from cost of living in China.

think about your life in America. If you were a person without a spouse or kids...... had a job in America that gave you a very good free furnished apartment and utilities and only required you to work 20 or less hours a week, but it only paid $30,000. you'd probably be stupid to pass it up.

How much of your paycheck is eaten by home and utilities? That's usually peoples biggest financial burden. But irregardless........you CANNOT compare making 5,000yuan in China to living off 5000yuan in America.....it's just a stupid comparison.

The biggest thing is your probably looking at $200 (insurance and gas) a month in car expenses in the U.S. and that is driving an old clunker. At least $500 a month if you purchase a new car.

In China, you could take a taxi to work every day and spend less.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdonald's? minimum wage is now $7.25/hour. that would gross you
$290/week or $1160/month. assuming around 15% for various
deductions.......income tax, social security, workers comp, and so on,
and you'd be getting $986/month, or about 6150 RMB. with no housing,
no utilities, no travel allowance, no health insurance, no round-trip
international flight, and so on.

oh wait, did i say no health insurance? oops, forgot about obamacare.
now you/your employer are required to have you covered. oh, did
i say your employer? i meant you...........companies, especially the
minimum wage employers, are using the handy loophole where cutting your
hours down to 28/week lets them avoid paying your health premiums.

anyways........you can make 6000 rmb with lotsa free stuff for 16 hours
per week, or you could have made 6000 rmb with no free stuff for 40
hours per week. your teacher salary is 95% fun money. your mickey-d
salary? what's left after rent, utilities, gas, car insurance, health insurance,
and so on?
BeijingBill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Sad Reply with quote

Pretty sad when you have to compare your salaries with McDonald's workers. Hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....and when i had out the final exams, i always ask if they'd like flies with that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: