Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another salary question- Zayed Uni, PI
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Londonlover

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Another salary question- Zayed Uni, PI Reply with quote

Just weighing up a few things for the future and was wondering if someone can give me an idea about the start salary I might expect from places like Zayed Uni or the Petroleum Institute for someone who has an MA TESOL and DELTA plus 6 years (full-time) post Master's EAP teaching experience at a U.K. university? Please feel free to PM me if you think it's better to exchange info that way.
Thanks a lot.
D. Merit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZU - 18,000

PI was one of the best deals in the gulf until about 5 years ago when they slashed the salaries.

I'm not certain what they are currently paying, but as far as I know it is still considerably less than ZU.

Good luck.
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

18,000 to start + free housing, right?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the right qualifications/experience that they are looking for. They hire very few teachers each year and can afford to be very choosy.

That would be plus housing and an allowance to furnish it... tickets... gratuity... all the usual perks.

VS
Londonlover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for that D.Merit.
Londonlover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard someone else say the salary offer would be closer to 14,500-15,000 (which is obviously a big difference from 18,000) and that the PI pays more but it's harder work and shorter holidays.
Can anyone offer anymore clarification on the ZU salary for 6 years post-MA TESOL uni teaching experience in the U.K. and how it relates to the PI salary?

Thanks
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to posts here, the PI salary is no longer all that great as D Merit said. And no one can guarantee what your offer will be from ZU, presuming that you even get an offer. It probably depends on how related your experience is. 6 years of teaching to Arabic speakers in the Gulf is worth more than to an employer 6 years on the UK in mixed classes - Academic English versus General ESL. Apply to both and see what happens... then you can come back and tell us the definitive answer. Cool

VS
Londonlover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply VS.
Yes, you are right. I will just have to apply and see what develops. My current job is 6 years EAP teaching experience i.e. academic reading and writing, and other skills like presentations, seminars, listening and note-taking to academic lectures etc, and though the classes are mixed there are usually one or two Arab students, and in the past, I taught classes at my U.K. uni that had 5 or 6 Arab students in a class. (though, I'm sure this is a different experience to teaching Arab students in the Gulf itself).
I am curious to know about the ZU situation because my salary in the U.K. is very good and I work at one of the best ranked universities globally (But I may fancy a change soon) , and I was just trying to get an idea of whether it would be worth going through all the application procedure and interviews etc without having some idea of what the ZU salary would be in advance. But it seems this is not the way it generally works over there in the Gulf and you have to wait and see what they offer you, should you be lucky enough to be offered a position, in the first place, of course. The salary does not seem to be stated in advance at all.
PI generally seems to have lost it's popularity then, in recent years.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the whole situation changed at PI. But, it sounds to me as if any employer would like your experience... and you may even have some wiggle room to negotiate.

When you are looking at the comparison to your current job, remember to also factor in having a free place to live, no taxes (the BIG factor), and that you have a couple months of vacation each summer with a ticket back home.

That said, giving up a good job in your home country is a major decision. You may never be able to get one like it again with the tough competition we have in English speaking countries.

VS
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better stay where you are. You are lucky to be at a top university and still not know the difference between it's and its.
Londonlover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Sirens of Cyprus,
guess I should have proofread my post for careless typos. You can feel reassured to know that top universities simply do not dish out �41,000 p.a. to any teacher who does not know the difference between 'its' and 'it's' Laughing
Londonlover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the sensible advice V.S.
D. Merit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
They hire very few teachers each year and can afford to be very choosy.

They had a huge hiring programme last year.

You live thousands of miles away, and have done for twenty years

I really think it would help if you made that clear when you comment.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define "huge" ... they were hiring for a new program last year, but how many are/were hired for the Foundations program in the two campuses?

Since your other facts are wrong...

VS
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirens of Cyprus wrote:
Better stay where you are. You are lucky to be at a top university and still not know the difference between it's and its.

Why do you have to do that? It just puts a huge damper on the communication that is going on here. I don't give a *beep* that he made a typo, and most people here don't, either.

Go away if that's how you're going to be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: