Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are my prospects for work?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timothypfox

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: What are my prospects for work? Reply with quote

I taught at language schools in Japan in 1997-1999, and then for a few years in Montreal, and about 5 years in New York City.

I then got an MS TESOL and public school teaching certification in ESL. I then taught ESL in public schools in New York for about 5 years.

I am now in Japan for a 2nd time and working at a private Japanese high school as an English conversation teacher and an English writing teacher. I am considered a full teacher on staff.

While my current job is a good one, I am very interested trying somewhere else. I've heard that it is not easy to get started in Vietnam, but that the culture is very interesting and the people are very friendly.

I would consider work in good quality language institute, private grade school, a university, or an international school.

Given the current employment climate, what are my prospects with my experience and credentials? What kind of salary and benefits?

Oh, yes. I am 42 years old.

Thanks!
vabeckele

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: A bit of a hit and miss Reply with quote

You certainly have both the credentials and experience.

Your best bet is to apply before hand. Arriving on spec. is not advisable right now, unless you have funds to see you through a possible long wait. You will pick up hours here and there, but it isn't fun running around a city you don't know.

Read the posts below this one you have posted and you will get an idea of what is happening here at the moment - All is not rosy on the ground.

And with what you have, accept nothing less than 2.5k a month - If you go with local employers benefits are all up to your negotiation skills - With this said, local employers want to see you first. You would still be okay on 2k, but, in my opinion, you are worth more.

The Vietnamese are friendly, but keep money out of the equation until you have established trust first.
skarper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you even been to Vietnam?

I wouldn't advise anyone to come here unless they've spent 2-4 weeks livng here at least. That means picking a location and staying there for 2+ weeks. Someone advised this in another thread and I thought it was great advice.

I kind of did this myself and I knew that I would cope with the general atmosphere when I moved to Hanoi in 2007. I didn't like the job market there and winters are too dank and chill, so I relocated and am still here and happier than I've ever been. It works for me.

Moving from an ultra clean and well ordered Japan to a rather filthy and disorganised 3rd world country will be a shock - I can tell you.

TBH, if your job in Japan is good then I'd stick with it and just visit Vietnam when you have vacation time.

Vaebackle above is right - you are worth 2-3K USD a month but few employers will pay it when they can make do with a newbie who'll work for 1.5K!

Lest I be accused of 'putting off the competition' again I do tend to emphasise negatives more than positives - it's better to be pleasantly surprised rather than bitterly disappointed after all.

Those who really need or really want to work here will find a way to manage and if they persist will probably prosper in many ways - though not likely in purely monetary terms.

People who have some idea it's a cake walk and they will make good money working moderate hours for an understanding employer with a great bunch of colleagues REALLY do need to get clued in and pronto!
timothypfox

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! I think the idea of taking a vacation there at some point and seeing what life is like a good one. I'll be in touch again when I get around to doing that.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skarper wrote:
Have you even been to Vietnam?

I wouldn't advise anyone to come here unless they've spent 2-4 weeks livng here at least. That means picking a location and staying there for 2+ weeks. Someone advised this in another thread and I thought it was great advice.

I kind of did this myself and I knew that I would cope with the general atmosphere when I moved to Hanoi in 2007. I didn't like the job market there and winters are too dank and chill, so I relocated and am still here and happier than I've ever been. It works for me.

Moving from an ultra clean and well ordered Japan to a rather filthy and disorganised 3rd world country will be a shock - I can tell you.

TBH, if your job in Japan is good then I'd stick with it and just visit Vietnam when you have vacation time.

Vaebackle above is right - you are worth 2-3K USD a month but few employers will pay it when they can make do with a newbie who'll work for 1.5K!

Lest I be accused of 'putting off the competition' again I do tend to emphasise negatives more than positives - it's better to be pleasantly surprised rather than bitterly disappointed after all.

Those who really need or really want to work here will find a way to manage and if they persist will probably prosper in many ways - though not likely in purely monetary terms.

People who have some idea it's a cake walk and they will make good money working moderate hours for an understanding employer with a great bunch of colleagues REALLY do need to get clued in and pronto!

Actually a pretty good summary of work and life in VN.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: