Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

spainwise job fair..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
svenhassel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: spainwise job fair.. Reply with quote

Anyone have any views on the spainwise job fair things coming up? is it worth attending?
Brendc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Spainwise jobs fair Reply with quote

Svenhassel, I attended the Spainwise jobs fair last year and I'd really recommend it to anyone looking to find work as English teachers in Spain. I walked away with 2 jobs, one Summer position and one full time position. All of the schools that take part are of an extremely standard and all of them are members of FECIA and ACEIA which means that they you won't end up being employed by a school that is going to make you work for more hours than is legal and pay you peanuts:)
The fair is brilliantly run and you'll get to do plenty of interviews on the day...As well as that there were lots of talks and seminars with advice for new and old teachers and all the information you could need to work in Spain. And if none of that floats your boat then you should come just for the setting. Like I said it was really good last year and it'd be my first stop if I was looking for work in Spain:) Hope this helps
Michael-Hunt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Spainwise Jobs Fair Reply with quote

I was at last year's Spainwise Jobs Fair and it really was an amazing experience. You go from stand to stand talking to different employers, doing interviews with some of them and just chatting with others. Then there are talks about Spanish paperwork, settling in to a life in Spain, what it's like teaching 'on the ground' - practical stuff you really need to know. I came away totally enlightened about teaching in Spain and got calls from everyone I interviewed with and plenty of job offers. Like the organisers say, it's like speed-dating but for teaching positions, and with some of the top schools in Spain too! And get this: it costs nothing! I totally landed on my feet with my first job in Spain thanks to the Spainwise fair.
svenhassel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

That's what I was hoping to hear.

Good Luck!
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn�t that a remarkable coincidence? BrendC and Michael-Hunt join on the same day and make their first posts within half an hour of each other! Not only that but they are both wildly enthusiastic about the Spainwise job fair! They wouldn�t, by any chance, have some connection with the organisation of said fair?
svenhassel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there is a perfectly rational explanation for this coincidence.

I just just want to know if the job fair is worth attending, there is no feedback on it anywhere...

Sv
Brendc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first year as an efl teacher and I ended up with two great jobs because of the jobs fair.... THAT is why Im so enthusiastic about it. Im not involved with its organisation nor do I stand to gain anything from posting about it BUT I stand by what I said.... It's a really good opportunity for teachers with and without experience. Don't knock it before you try it. My school hired all of its new teachers at the jobs fair last year.
svenhassel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Brend C, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

So do you think employers at this fair pay higher wages than schools which are not affiliated to those organisations mentioned?

And... Perhaps you could give me an inclination of the average wage in Spain
In these troubled times....

I'm new to the scene in Spain and am concerned about making enough to live on. Thinking of heading to northern Spain...

Cheers!
steve79

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it would be beneficial for me to attend the Spainwise Job Fair? I currently have no TEFL qualifications, but I plan to take my CELTA in September this year. So by this time next year (fingers crossed) I should have a CELTA qualification (along with a degree).

I�d love to work in Spain to start with, so would it be worth me going to Spainwise this year? Not with the intention of getting a job of course, but with the intention of meeting a few people and finding out a bit more. Or should I just wait until Spainwise 2014 when I hope to have a CELTA qualification under my belt?

Thanks!
svenhassel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it wouldn't hurt if you have the time and the money and I understand there is some kind of festival on in town at the same time.

What's the worst that could happen?
steve79

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were my sentiments as well. I am slightly cautious about spending a fair amount of money on flights and a hotel, but I think it would be beneficial in the long-run so I will probably go.
Sublime

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is it?
steve79

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 18th 2013.
Sublime

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. I heard it's absolutely amazing. I'm gonna go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: