Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with Thai Visa Application, please

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
plaidsandwich



Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Help with Thai Visa Application, please Reply with quote

Hello

Per advice I received on this site, I am applying for a double entry tourist visa. I had some questions I was hoping someone with experience might be able to help with.

1. I noticed on the visa application form the following statement: "ATTENTION FOR TOURISTS AND TRANSIT VISA APPLICANTS ONLY: You declare that the purpose of your visit to Thailand is for pleasure only and that in no case shall you engage yourself in any profession or occupation while in the country."

I will be attending a four week CELTA course (probably in Chiang Mai) and then hope to land a job in Thailand. The visa application asks me to state the purpose of my visit. How should I answer this question? Should I indicate I am there for training or simply write "tourist". I don't want this to come back to bite me later.

2. The visa application also asks me to indicate where I will stay in Thailand and a telephone number for that place. I do not yet know where I will be staying. I read somewhere on another forum that you can just look up any guest house and use that address and phone number. But again, I would like to do things by the book if possible. What would you suggest?

3. Lastly, the visa application asks for a reference person in Thailand (name, address, telephone, email). Can I leave this blank? Or maybe I can use the name of someone at the school I will be attending. However, I have not yet been accepted and need to send this visa application off as soon as possible. Suggestions?

Thank you in advance! Smile

-david h
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tttompatz



Joined: 06 Mar 2010
Posts: 1951
Location: Talibon, Bohol, Philippines

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) write tourist.
2) Pick a hotel in BKK for your first night. Use that.
3) Leave blank or N/A.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plaidsandwich



Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz,

Gravy! Thanks much! You must spend a lot of time on here answering people's questions. You've certainly given me a lot of that time. I am most grateful for it!

Wishing you well,

-david h
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tttompatz



Joined: 06 Mar 2010
Posts: 1951
Location: Talibon, Bohol, Philippines

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy me a dinner after you get settled and working.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plaidsandwich



Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. You've earned it. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plumpy nut



Joined: 12 Mar 2011
Posts: 714

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Thai Visa Application, please Reply with quote

plaidsandwich wrote:
Hello

Per advice I received on this site, I am applying for a double entry tourist visa. I had some questions I was hoping someone with experience might be able to help with.

1. I noticed on the visa application form the following statement: "ATTENTION FOR TOURISTS AND TRANSIT VISA APPLICANTS ONLY: You declare that the purpose of your visit to Thailand is for pleasure only and that in no case shall you engage yourself in any profession or occupation while in the country."


The government doesn't care if you teach on a Tourist Visa or over half of all the ESL teachers in Thailand would be in jail. The important thing is that you don't provide forged documents to the government or schools. That could land you in jail.

plaidsandwich wrote:
I will be attending a four week CELTA course (probably in Chiang Mai) and then hope to land a job in Thailand. The visa application asks me to state the purpose of my visit. How should I answer this question? Should I indicate I am there for training or simply write "tourist". I don't want this to come back to bite me later.
Write tourist. If you write your taking a TEFL course, who knows what they will think or want.

plaidsandwich wrote:
2. The visa application also asks me to indicate where I will stay in Thailand and a telephone number for that place. I do not yet know where I will be staying. I read somewhere on another forum that you can just look up any guest house and use that address and phone number. But again, I would like to do things by the book if possible. What would you suggest?
This website gives you the address and telephone for the Atlanta Hotel, use that.
theatlantahotelbangkok.com

plaidsandwich wrote:
3. Lastly, the visa application asks for a reference person in Thailand (name, address, telephone, email). Can I leave this blank? Or maybe I can use the name of someone at the school I will be attending. However, I have not yet been accepted and need to send this visa application off as soon as possible. Suggestions?


I never gave a reference person on my application. I think you can leave this one blank. The others you have to answer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plaidsandwich



Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, pl!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC