Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommendation Letter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clf4856

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Recommendation Letter Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I am looking to get into TEFL and need some advise on how I should approach someone I want to use as a reference, when I do not have any TEFL experience.

I am currently in my last semester of college so I was going to use a professor and a supervisor from work. Since my reference writers will not be able to write about my proficiency as a teach should I tell them to focus on my work ethic personality and such? It just feels weird getting a recommendation from someone for a teaching position when they haven't seen my ability in that specific field.

Thanks,

Chris
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recommendation letters off the topic of teaching won't help you very much with impressing a potential employer. I'd get them anyway, but don't count too much on their value.

Are you planning to take a TEFL course? The more relevant letters would be from your trainers/course provider.

Where are you thinking you would go? Many parts of the world require TEFL/TESL certification, and then you'd have the opportunity to get a more relevant letter of rec.
clf4856

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah any letter I get from a professor/supervisor wouldn't be anymore that a character reference.

I plan on going to mainly because I am half-Korean and want to learn more about the culture. I am currently taking a TEFL course, but I made the mistake of purchasing an online only course, which doesn't really count for much? This summer plan on finding a in-class course.

A friend recommended Oxford Seminars do any of you have any experience with them?
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxford Seminars, unless they've changed it, is not better than an online course. The face-to-face component is more about 'how to get a job and live abroad' than about how to teach effectively. The teaching practice is with peer trainees, rather than real students.

You may not need a cert where you are thinking of going, but the standard that is accepted pretty much everywhere is 120+ hours on site (usually 1 month) and includes at least 6 hours of supervised teaching practice with real students. CELTA, SIT, and Trinity are the brand names, but there are generics out there that fit the description as well.

But if you're going where you mention, you may not need a cert at all anyway.
clf4856

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info!

I might take this over the the Korean forums to get some more information, but for the EpiK program they increased the requirements this upcoming Fall so that you need a Bachelor's degree with a year of teaching experience or a TEFL cert with 20 hours on-site. Although, I could probably get a job at a hagweon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: