Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dresden, Leipzig und der ost...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
revenger2013

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Dresden, Leipzig und der ost... Reply with quote

I am currently studying for an MA in TESOL and I would like to give Europe a crack in the next couple of years. Thinking about Spain, Germany and Finland. There seems to be work for teachers in Finland who hold an MA which is nice but I do fancy giving Germany a go and especially the eastern cities like Dresden and Leipzig.

Now I have read that finding work in Dresden and Leipzig is easier than it is in the west and in Berlin where the market for English teaching is saturated. Is there anyone on the ground who can tell me about working in the eastern part of Germany? I have also heard it is cheaper to rent a nice place. Sounds good up until now but I am sure someone is going to knock a hole into my plans - so be my guest!!
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with the plan, as I see it. Only issue is that jobs requiring the related MA are thin on the ground, and it's unlikely you'll walk into something along the lines of a decently-paid university job right away. If you're ok taking more basic jobs to start, and paying some local dues (brushing up on your German, establishing a good rep and some contacts locally) then you'll find yourself in line for whatever better jobs do come up, but this can take considerable time.
revenger2013

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Nothing wrong with the plan, as I see it. Only issue is that jobs requiring the related MA are thin on the ground, and it's unlikely you'll walk into something along the lines of a decently-paid university job right away. If you're ok taking more basic jobs to start, and paying some local dues (brushing up on your German, establishing a good rep and some contacts locally) then you'll find yourself in line for whatever better jobs do come up, but this can take considerable time.

Hi Spiral, thank you for your reply. Very Happy

I am all right for taking on 'Business English' jobs as long as I can garner enough hours somewhere like Dresden and maybe sometime in the future position myself for a decent job based on my future qualifications. It is all a long term plan so as long as I can earn decent money in the less popular German cities then I will consider working there.
sager

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revenger2013

I live in the former East Germany. You'll be able to practically walk into a job at a language school. Make sure you have a valid driver's licence as you'll likely have to drive to students' companies (100km radius). Apply in the summer for the peak hiring period in September.

Renting a flat in Leipzig is cheaper than in Dresden.

Good luck!

sager
revenger2013

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sager wrote:
revenger2013

I live in the former East Germany. You'll be able to practically walk into a job at a language school. Make sure you have a valid driver's licence as you'll likely have to drive to students' companies (100km radius). Apply in the summer for the peak hiring period in September.

Renting a flat in Leipzig is cheaper than in Dresden.

Good luck!

sager

Thanks for that Sager - what I wanted to hear! Very Happy. So you can make a decent living there? I am surprised the east doesn't attract more teachers but that is where I will be heading I think. Thanks again!
JN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sager,
Would you say it's possible to walk right into a job in Leipzig, for example, in May? I looked up the rents. They certainly are a lot cheaper than my place in Berlin and I have a pretty good deal!
I have a driver's license, but is it necessary to have a car?
sager

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JN

Schools here are on the lookout the whole year but there's more work available in September.

No, you don't need a car but you do need to be able to drive a manual transmission. Are you American? I ask because you spelt "licence" with an "s"! Very Happy If so, have you already exchanged your old driver's licence for a German one?

sager
JN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering. That's kind of what I thought. I am American. I've had a German license for years. I haven't driven a manual for years, but I could always take a couple of driver's lessons to make sure I remember how.
Guess I will take a look at the Leipzig area for jobs. Any particular recommendations?
sager

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JN

Try the chain schools. Linguarama has a branch in Leipzig.

Good luck!

sager
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: