Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone know of British School Livorno?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
re-teacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Anyone know of British School Livorno? Reply with quote

Has anyone worked at British School Livorno? I am being recruited by them but cannot find much information or reviews. I live in the United States and they have asked me to fly to Livorno for an interview, all expenses to be reimbursed upon my arrival. Is this a legitimate offer? I have asked for a Skype interview instead, but they have noted that in-person interviewers will have an advantage. Thanks
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have very specific skills, or is the post a lot out of the ordinary? I can't imagine any Italian school paying for US return flights for an ordinary job. I'd make sure that they know the cost of the flights (send them an approx ticket cost) and get it in writing. Alternatively, you could ask them to send you the tickets before you leave.

Just a final check though. Are you able to legally work in Italy? Do you have dual Italian citizenship? Otherwise, the school would also have to sponsor you for a visa - very few will do this unless you've got those rare to find skills or expertise.

Tread with caution!
re-teacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a MA in TESOL with 15 years of teaching experience. I also have an MBA. I do have dual US-Italian citizenship. I agree with your suggestion asking them to pay for the ticket upfront. I have emails where they say they will reimburse, but what is my recourse if they renege? I would rather not get involved in chasing them for the money.
Before this position arose, my plan was to travel to Rome in early Sept, rent short-term, and do some job hunting for a couple of months. I had thought of trying for a university position, but I have never seen them listed on any job board. Any suggestions?
Thanks for the quick response.
Robert
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have very similar qualifications to yours, and have served on hiring committees in Europe for over a decade (on and off). I have NEVER heard of any school offering to fly someone over without some very special reason to do so. I expect this is likely to be a scam of some sort.

As for 'listings' of university jobs, unlikely that you'll see many, if any. The university where I work has partner universities all over Europe. When job openings come up (fairly rare; turnover is very low for these positions), the adverts are circulated in the university system. The last opening we advertised attracted over 30 good candidates (related post grad quals, extensive experience, EU passport).

The way to get a uni position is to locate yourself in a city with a maximum number of such jobs, build your local contacts and reputation, and basically work your way into a job. Of course, it's possible to get lucky, but it's rare. More likely you'll need to pay some dues and do quite a lot of legwork to work yourself into something better than basic language school stuff.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have emails where they say they will reimburse, but what is my recourse if they renege? I would rather not get involved in chasing them for the money.
Before this position arose, my plan was to travel to Rome in early Sept, rent short-term, and do some job hunting for a couple of months. I had thought of trying for a university position, but I have never seen them listed on any job board. Any suggestions?

Not much you can do if they renege on you. There would be absolutely no point chasing them for the money, unless you had written proof that they said they would pay, and then you could go and make a "denuncia" to the Guardia di Finanzia, perhaps. Otherwise, it would be a lot of hassle. The British School is a chain, generally serving middle market type customers (as most schools here do). I really can't seem them forking out for plane fares unless they're really desperate to attract teachers. And Livorno is pretty small - not the size of Florence, or Genova, for example.

Your first plan sounds reasonable, though I'd say very early Sept (even late Aug) to get settled in with a short-term let. As far as unis are concerned, what sort of work did you envisage doing? There's not a lot of it around, and it's not particularly well paid.

I recently worked for a uni (not in Rome) where some of the undergrad and postgrad courses are in English, and where all students need to get 3 credits. Basically, it was an English "support" type course to bring the students up to approx B1 level. I got the work through someone already working there, and ended up regretting it almost instantly. The students were lovely. But get this. Anyone in, say, the first year can turn up (or not) meaning you might have a class of ten or you might be talking to crowds of hundreds. Then they can take the exam eight times, meaning you can prepare and mark the same student on eight occasions. (No extra pay.) Frankly, I get paid more (and have far less hassle and bureaucracy) working in local high schools.
re-teacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both spiral78 and TiR for your insights. I worked as a professor in South Korea and as an adjunct prof in community colleges in the US (Mass) giving conversation classes, listening and speaking, grammar and reading, the standard fare I think. I also gave conversation classes 1 x 1 to business professionals in Colombia.
I had thought of going the private class route, but think that working for an established school for the steady income while I build up private clients might be better financially. I had tried researching the PONS programme, but it is in its last year I believe, mainly in the impoverished south, and it seems that the private institutes get most of the money and basically lease out their teachers.
I noted the late Aug suggestion and that may work after my daughter heads back to college.
again thanks for your responses.
Robert
Laiello

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: steer clear Reply with quote

Hi there-
I was offered the same thing by the British School Livorno a couple weeks ago and even got so far as to almost book my flight with their contact through Air Italy. The travel agent asked me to pay for my flight by sending a money order to her Air Italy office. That was a red flag for me so I called the number for the British School Livorno and asked for Daniel, who was the man that had been e-mailing me. This Daniel informed me that he had never heard of me, had not been e-mailing me, and did not have me down for an interview. Whoever this British School Livorno that e-mailed me and you is a scam and pretending to be an employee of that school. It makes me sick that there are people who would scam others out of thousands of dollars. Definitely don't take seriously any e-mails from [email protected] and the e-mail of the woman who was an "AirItaly Travel Agent" is [email protected]. They are both fake and scams.
re-teacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Laiello,

Thanks for your reply. You have confirmed my suspicions. I actually have a skype interview with these folks tomorrow, which I will attend just to see who these people are and whether I can trip them up. In any event, there is no way I will be spending a dime on them.

Regards,
Robert
Laiello

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert-

If you have a chance, I'd love to know how it goes tomorrow! They keep trying to contact me on skype and through e-mail although I have stopped responding to them. I unfortunately am not brave enough to confront them but I am very curious to know what would happen when you do!
re-teacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy at alleged British School Livorno once again missed our skype call and refused to have a video chat. I can only conclude that he is only after my money or identity. I have no doubt that if I bought the plane ticket in advance I would never get the ticket or see or hear from him again. Even his website, http://www.britishlivorno.it/school/ looks fake because there is no content. Therefore I will tell everyone on the Internet about his scam and try to warn them.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert

It sounds as if someone is impersonating Daniele to scam you out of money. Here's the post that British School Livorno have put on their website warning of this recruitment scam:
http://www.britishlivorno.it/school/hello-world/
re-teacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That warning dated 2005 was not on their site yesterday, also, the link includes hello-world, which is html 101 default, and the reply by Mr Worldpress is a fake also. Stay away from them!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: