Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kazakhstan, anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RiverMystic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Kazakhstan, anyone? Reply with quote

I've applied for a position as an advisory teacher at Nazabayev Intellectual school in Kazakhstan. I haven't been offered a job yet, so my inquiries are preliminary at this stage.

Locations include Astana, Semey, Kokshetau, Ust-Kamenogorsk, Taldykorgan and Uralsk. For research, I've been watching my DVD of Borat repeatedly. However gaps remain in my knowledge.

Yeah, I am joking about Borat. There's actually some pretty good videos on Youtube about the school. I'm just looking for some first hand info from anybody who has been there or taught there, especially with this school. What's good and bad about the place, and what should a teacher expect?

I know Kazakhstan is unbelievably cold, and very much a developing country. From the videos, it reminds me a little of the developing parts of China. I imagine that Astana is by far the most developed and modern city, and the other locations might be rather more "backward" (for want of a better word). Maybe I'm wrong.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

RM
Dedicated

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

River Mystic,

You might want to repost under the Russia and CIS board where there are lots of entries about Kazakhstan.
RiverMystic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dedicated. I didn't know they dealt with Kazakhstan there!
nur1s

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Smile

Last year I graduated from NIS Astana.

My skype acccount is captivating_n .
I'll be more than glad to help you with anything.
RiverMystic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nur1s wrote:
Hey Smile

Last year I graduated from NIS Astana.

My skype acccount is captivating_n .
I'll be more than glad to help you with anything.

Thanks, nur1s. If I get an interview I might just skype you!
Sir Winston

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My roomie taught in Astana for 5 years and says he had a great time. It is cold but he said the beautiful friendly woman are lined up to keep you warm. He said the language is a bitch to learn though.
timmytopee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Kazakhstan Looking Bad Reply with quote

The Government SUDDENLY decided to devalue the currency from 155 Tenge to the $1 USD to 185 Tenge. So basically, overnight, everyone got a 20% salary reduction!!! Yes there are protests, but I'd imagine you'll see a lot of job posts for Kazakhstan soon as everyone starts running for greener (more lucrative) pastures. It is NOT an inexpensive place to live NOR get to/away from.

http://en.tengrinews.kz/unrest/Anti-devaluation-protest-in-Almaty-26081/
timmytopee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Be Glad You Didn't Go... Reply with quote

Be glad that you didn't go to Kazakhstan!!!

The Tenge was 150 to 1 USD just a short while ago… now at 183 and losing value… Kazakhstan is a dead-end if you want to be paid what you are worth as an educational professional.

http://en.tengrinews.kz/finance/Astana-residents-stocking-up-on-dollars-just-in-case-255168/
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kazakstan is a dead end if you want to be paid what your worth as an educational professional...the same could be said about most countries in Southern Asia....your salary is nothing to smile about! Shocked
kazpat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) The position the OP is talking about gets paid in dollars. Actually, the devaluation was a raise. The advertised salary is also quite good.

2) There are several high paying EFL jobs in KZ. Some salaries, specifically language centers are low, but for those with experience and or qualifications or even the right personality fit, there are very lucrative positions. (including language centers) Many teachers in Kazakhstan are doing quite well.

So I'd argue that some jobs are dead end while others are not, IMHO making a blanket statement about the whole country shows a lack of on the ground experience. I'd also say you need to define what is an "educational professional", ones that I know, for the most part, are content with their salaries.

Edit to add: I just took a look at some advertisements for Kazakhstan, it seems language centers in big cities have adjusted their salaries since the deval, however, the travel allowance is indeed a joke. As has been mentioned elsewhere on this board, some government schools / universities and oil companies have great packages.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand from several colleagues it is getting much more difficult to teach English in Kazakstan due to more stringent visa regulations. On top of this with low pay it is becoming difficult to earn a living there. Shocked
CTravel32

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Kazakstan is a dead end if you want to be paid what your worth as an educational professional...the same could be said about most countries in Southern Asia....your salary is nothing to smile about! Shocked

Not true. I have a co-worker who just got a job in Kazakstan that pays in USD, about 5000 + accommodation. Please don´t make sweeping generalizations about an entire country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: