Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uni teaching?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsBlackcurrant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Uni teaching? Reply with quote

My long-term goal in TEFL is to teach university students. I've taught English before, (and I've also taught French at a British university) but I'm now hoping to embark on a 120+ hour TEFL course to improve my employability. (I have several university degrees, and I'm British.)

Where in Europe would I be most likely to find a post to teach in a university? I've come across an employment agency that offers a number of posts in Spanish universities. Otherwise, I haven't seen many openings advertised. I'd consider teaching English to adults at a language school between January-June, but after that I'd hope to find a post at a university.

Thanks for your suggestions!
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim pickings ! Jobs doing this are not common. There are some in UKANIA but they are usually on a casual basis with no guaranteed number of hours. They call it a "zero-hour contract". There are jobs in summer schools at unis in Ukania teaching students who will proceed to univeesity level courses. For those you will require an appropriate MA
svenhassel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ms Blackcurrant,

It's some time since you posted, perhaps you have found a position to suit your needs.

I was fortunate to have been offered my first job in a Polish Uni which I loved. I then moved on to Istanbul, Turkey where there was, and is currently, a wealth of Uni jobs of differing quality. Most of them are prep schools which teach general English rather than EAP. The students then go into content courses which are supposed to be taught in English, hence the prep, but are actually taught in Turkish as both students and lecturers lack the academic and even general language skills. It's quite a mess. There are one or two Uni's which make an effort, Sabanci Uni springs to mind and the state uni's but the pay in state uni's can be prohibitively low.

I quite enjoyed teaching in Turkey but school management and the govt. education dept are in need of a major overhaul. This is the country where most uni jobs are accessible to new teachers with a nice life style on the side and you sound eminently qualified. There's always Saudi Arabia and Gulf states but that's a different story.

Did you mean Western Europe? You need to go to individual Uni websites and have a lot of luck, be in the right place at the right time. speaking the local lingo is often a requirement, sometimes a legal one.

The UK Uni TEFL sector seems to be expanding rapidly,due to Chinese demand for places. The way in there is to get onto a pre-sessional course and to stand out! Check out the jobs on the BALEAP site.

Now, perhaps you can help me.

As I am now looking at moving to Spain if not back the UK could you give me the details of the agency you referred to which deals with recruitment to Spanish Uni's?

SV

As you
svenhassel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ms Blackcurrant,

It's some time since you posted, perhaps you have found a position to suit your needs.

I was fortunate to have been offered my first job in a Polish Uni which I loved. I then moved on to Istanbul, Turkey where there was, and is currently, a wealth of Uni jobs of differing quality. Most of them are prep schools which teach general English rather than EAP. The students then go into content courses which are supposed to be taught in English, hence the prep, but are actually taught in Turkish as both students and lecturers lack the academic and even general language skills. It's quite a mess. There are one or two Uni's which make an effort, Sabanci Uni springs to mind and the state uni's but the pay in state uni's can be prohibitively low.

I quite enjoyed teaching in Turkey but school management and the govt. education dept are in need of a major overhaul. This is the country where most uni jobs are accessible to new teachers with a nice life style on the side and you sound eminently qualified. There's always Saudi Arabia and Gulf states but that's a different story.

Did you mean Western Europe? You need to go to individual Uni websites and have a lot of luck, be in the right place at the right time. speaking the local lingo is often a requirement, sometimes a legal one.

The UK Uni TEFL sector seems to be expanding rapidly,due to Chinese demand for places. The way in there is to get onto a pre-sessional course and to stand out! Check out the jobs on the BALEAP site.

Now, perhaps you can help me.

As I am now looking at moving to Spain if not back the UK could you give me the details of the agency you referred to which deals with recruitment to Spanish Uni's?

SV

As you
MsBlackcurrant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svenhassel

Ah, well, I'm still in England! I'm aiming for the autumn now, although I still haven't decided on a TEFL course yet. My finances aren't great, which is a challenge.

Anyway, the agency I was referring to is called Teacher Mex Connect. You have to pay them $39.99 and then have a lifetime's access to their jobs. I was told by one of the owners that you have to do an online qualification with Serious Teachers to be on their books. Some people here have grumbled about Teacher Mex Connect as they can't guarantee 100% success. I might sign up with them, but I have yet to decide on that. I don't know what they do with applicants who already have advanced TEFL qualifications.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither Teacher Mex Connect nor Serious Teachers is well known (or well respected) in the EU, so far as I know. I've been around since 1998 and am pretty decently tied into the University scene here.....
MsBlackcurrant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I thought, naturally. I considered taking the course simply to get access to Teacher Mex Connect's listed jobs, and then to get proper TEFL training later on, when I've saved more money. But that means spending more cash in the long run.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: