Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Share ONLY the things you LIKE about teaching in KSA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abayababy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True dat.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is off-topic.

If it does not return to the topic ASAP along with no more personal attacks, it will no longer be on this board and sanctions will be issued for those causing it to disappear.
abayababy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it when students talk about things that I myself am not allowed to bring up in class, or use salty slang that I would not dare to teach them. I love the fact that I am witness to a very subtle social revolution that is so slow that by the time its significance is apparent, those that wish to reverse the trend will not have an easy time of it. The times they are a-changing and enshallah it will be smoother sailing than it has been in other parts of the region.
Zara461

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Thinking of education in KSA we should remember King Faisal who introduced girls education against the wishes of the Pious Ones. For tha, and agreeing to the introduction of televison he was assassinated.

I do not think King Faisal was assassinated for the introduction of TV, or girls education. I think the reason was a personal/family conflict between King Faisal and his nephew, Faisal bin Musad, who wanted to avenge his elder brother, who died in a clash with saudi security forces in 1965.
The nephew of the KIng was beheaded in the Chip-Chop public square in Riyadh on 8th of June 1975.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faisal_of_Saudi_Arabia
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Zara461,

Well, it sounds to me as though either way you look at it, the assassination ultimately sprang from Faisal's reform efforts.

"Without King Faisal, education for Saudi Arabian women would not be what it is today, a country where more women are educated than men, and the setback would have cost Saudi women twenty years or more. Tragically, Faisal was assassinated in 1975 by a nephew who was avenging his brother who was killed in a riot against the introduction of radio and television in the kingdom."

After all the nephew was killed protesting some of those reforms.

Regards,
John
MixtecaMike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of fun things to talk about, without crossing the line. Where else can you talk about seismograms and fractionating towers, when neither you nor the students have the faintest interest or knowlege of the topic? Sadly, when we finally updated our curriculum these great topics disappeared. Still, now it is genuinely great fun to ask students their opinions about things they have rarely even thought about before. The students I teach (PYP) are a joy to teach, not because they are great scholars, but they are interested in stretching their own worldview and given an opportunity to do so, sharing their opinions on a range of topics.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although many Saudi students do not have knowledge of the world outside the Mifddle East, I usually found them in some ways quite worldly-wise !

Last edited by scot47 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
jaffa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like one old duffer in my class called Ahmed because he turns up every morning with his wife's shopping bag and pulls out a bowl of something she's knocked up in the kitchen. He's got the plastic plates and spoons and everything. It wastes a good half an hour of a 2 hour lesson. The only drawback is that the food is absolutely disgusting and yesterday he produced some sort of chilli pasta dish apparently stuck together with glue which I tried to slip into the bin under my desk but it wouldn't budge off the bloody plate and Sultan, some sort of religious chap, caught me in the act. Christ knows what tomorrow will bring.
abayababy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Although many Saudi students do not have knowledge of the world outside the Mifddle East, I usually found them in some ways quite worldly-wise

The writing task today was to describe a special or important building in Riyadh. I tried to get the students to brainstorm first and they came up with just two examples. I pressed them unsuccessfully until one finally said, "Teacher, this is Riyadh, not Paris". I changed the task as I didn't feel like reading 25 papers about Kingdom Tower.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, if you assign it as homework, there would end up being 25 copies of the same essay. Cool

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The technique there is to give a high mark but to divide the mark by 25 ! That gets the message over !
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear abayababy,

"Teacher, this is Riyadh, not Paris".

Darn - how did you manage to get such GOOD students?

In my experience, 99.999999999% of the time, it would be, "Teacher, this Riyadh, not Paris". Very Happy

Regards,
John
abayababy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My level 5 students speak much better than they write!
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience in KSA was that students were always better at speaking than writing. They tell me that this is a feature of their Arabic too. A society where the ability to write is not valued !
dr_haron

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
My experience in KSA was that students were always better at speaking than writing. They tell me that this is a feature of their Arabic too. A society where the ability to write is not valued !

This is strange. Being a native Arabic speaker, I find writing (in English) easier than talking. At least you have the opportunity to correct what you write if you make mistakes.
Perhaps those students are good in talking "street language", which is different than official language.
Anyway, I disagree with you regarding writing in Arabic is less valued.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: