Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Princess Noura University (PNU)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmp45 wrote:
VS...your need to control how people post on dave's comes across rather pedantic; I am sure many think of you as a sort of " Unofficial Ambassador" to the ME forums, but if you are looking to gain more control, I suggest you apply for the position of moderator!
Razz Yikes!

Scary thought that!! But, there is such a thing as protocol - formats - sort of like the proper form of an English essay. It keeps one from making a fool of oneself on the net. The system is hardly complicated as a non-techie person like me can even do it.

Now if we could only teach JohnSlat to use the quote function. Laughing

VS
abayababy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now I get it -- you're an American who couldn't care less about grammar.

I'm sure if you pick apart my posts even more carefully than you already have, you can find a few more such glaring grammatical errors to comment on (oops, I just ended a sentence with a preposition). dont forget to look for punctation mistakes end mispellings two
abayababy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Reminds me of a quibble I have about idiom.

"I could care less"

OR

"I couldn't care less" ???????????????????

When I say "I couldn't care less about your opinion" I mean "I don't care about your opinion."

Ooh boy, I just realized that in the above, which was posted earlier in this thread, Scot was siimply commenting on my use of a common expression. So when anvesha made this comment:

Quote:
And this logical howler: "spoiled teenagers who could care less about learning "

Now I get it -- you're an American who couldn't care less about grammar.

It suddenly dawned on me that Scot was not insulting me as someone whose opinion he couldn't care less about, but simply commenting on the grammatical error that has become inherent in a common expression. I truly got all bent out of shape over nothing at all and I humbly apologize for accusing him of hijacking the thread just get in a little dig at me. I should have thanked him for bringing this to my attention. Smile I am a bit of a grammar police myself and often have to restrain myself from posting unnecessary comments about others misuse of English.

And I thank anvesha for reminding me how horribly crass and ill-spoken we Americans are and how inexcusable it is for me, as an English teacher after all, to use an expression that is so glaringly ungrammatical. I can say with certainty that I will never again say, "I could care less" and there is a good chance that whenever I hear it said I will correct the speaker, though hopefully not quite as boorishly as anvesha has done.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear VS,

"Now if we could only teach JohnSlat to use the quote function."

NEVER - I'm a copy and paste kind of guy; you can't teach an old dog like me new tricks.

And you can quote me on that Very Happy

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And I thank anvesha for reminding me how horribly crass and ill-spoken we Americans are and how inexcusable it is for me, as an English teacher after all, to use an expression that is so glaringly ungrammatical. I can say with certainty that I will never again say, "I could care less" and there is a good chance that whenever I hear it said I will correct the speaker

Wanna bet? I still catch myself saying it even though I cringe when others do. It is well ensconced in the American vernacular by this point. Laughing But if you think about it, it isn't ungrammatical... it just makes no sense as it says the opposite of what you want to say.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to PNU - what is the rate of renewal ? How many teachers return for a second co0ntract ? How many do runners or go insane ?
abayababy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is the first year for direct hire, it's impossible to say what the rate of renewal will be. As far as I can gauge about 50% definitely want to stay, 25% definitely have had enough and the other 25% remain on the fence. I have heard there have been a few runners. We all went insane within a month. Insane is the new normal.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear abayababy,

You can be forgiven for not knowing that in Saudi, insane is the OLD normal.

Regards,
John
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us have been saying that for years, John. In private, of course.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will cede abayababy this - from the viewpoint of a disinterested, distant observer, it does seem that for EFL teachers these days, the Kingdom is even more "normal" (i.e. insane) than it was previously.

I'd say this is due mainly to the introduction and increasingly widespread use of recruiters/contractors and "business/work visit" visas.

Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only places I ever felt comfortable were the Looney Bin and Saudi Arabia ! And when I was with my pals, the Three Stooges.
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just drove my wife to PNU new campus and we were both amazed at its size and complexity. LRTs between buildings because it is so huge and walking in 40 degree heat in an abaya is not a sane thing to to. Will keep posting on amenities there after she returns. I've heard initially that the cafeterias are not open yet and there is no internet access, unless you have your own 3G network on your smartphone, laptop or iPad.

Grendal
abayababy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PYP just moved to the new campus today (teachers, not students so far), though we (direct hire) have lived there since the beginning of the school year, contrary to Grendal's earlier report. The EAP and ELDP programs have been here since September. There is internet and cafeterias and have been for quite some time. The walk from housing to offices is short and the monorail is convenient for those who choose not to hoof it. SBC, Edex and IGET contracted employees have a significant commute, or so I am told.
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. it is now contrary. I have received word that there is internet but you need a password. The cafeterias are open, with same old junk food as the old campus. Walking between campuses shouldn't be a problem for all the twenty-year-old new direct hires, but the SBC,Edex, and IGET old fogeys/fogies might prefer the LRT (light rail transit) or monorail. Haven't actually been inside to see how many rails there are on the tracks. Very Happy

Grendal
abayababy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a password. Imagine that. Light rails run regularly for those that can't manage to waddle between buildings, though heaving ones self up the stairs to the train platform must put equal strain on the heart. This 50 something year old, along with many other middle-aged direct hires, manages just fine on foot. Those of us that can't stomach the cafeteria food pack our own lunch. There really isn't that much to whine about, but there are some who seem to do a lot of it anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: