Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poland or Czech Republic - which is better/easiest for work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nnmartin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Poland or Czech Republic - which is better/easiest for work? Reply with quote

Out of these 2 countries which is best for finding a Tefl job?

easiest, most work, best cost of living v. wages etc..

as on the other thread I started, I am looking to do 1 year only at any old Tefl school, mainly for the experience (however, the job must cover living expenses)

I have Celta only, and am from UK (male)

Smile

any visa hassles?

p.s - any other countries worth looking into in this area?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No visa hassles for you, and either country will do. You might spend some time reading on the Czech Rep and Poland forums to find any important differences; there is lots of info there and people are unlikely to take a lot of time to replicate it here.

The timing and up-front costs will be similar for both countries. I think I've already addressed this question for you on another thread.
miss smarty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Poland Has a Nicer Vibe Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been to both places and truthfully I would go with Poland. Prague has lot of corruption and scams. I know this is an issue everywhere you go but the crime is ridiculous in Prague. My friend was mugged at the metro by gunpoint. The police were not helpful at all and pretty much just laughed at her. Also, the Czechs do not speak English which should not be expected of course. However, when you need help desperately and no one can help you it can be really frustrating. When I visited Prague, I didnt have any scary encounters but I found the city to be ugly, dirty, and dark. Poland, on the other hand, was the complete opposite of Prague. People are really friendly and Warsaw is a beautiful city.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Prague has lot of corruption and scams. I know this is an issue everywhere you go but the crime is ridiculous in Prague. My friend was mugged at the metro by gunpoint. The police were not helpful at all and pretty much just laughed at her. Also, the Czechs do not speak English which should not be expected of course. However, when you need help desperately and no one can help you it can be really frustrating. When I visited Prague, I didnt have any scary encounters but I found the city to be ugly, dirty, and dark

Would be interesting to know how long you were in the city.
Prague is well-known for its high percentage of Czechs who are quite proficient in English. In fact, many expats living here never really learn Czech beyond the bare basics, because it's so easy to get along here without speaking the language. You also don't say how you know the city is 'full of corruption and scams.'
johncoan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Poland Has a Nicer Vibe Reply with quote

miss smarty wrote:
Hi,

I have been to both places and truthfully I would go with Poland. Prague has lot of corruption and scams. I know this is an issue everywhere you go but the crime is ridiculous in Prague. My friend was mugged at the metro by gunpoint. The police were not helpful at all and pretty much just laughed at her. Also, the Czechs do not speak English which should not be expected of course. However, when you need help desperately and no one can help you it can be really frustrating. When I visited Prague, I didnt have any scary encounters but I found the city to be ugly, dirty, and dark. Poland, on the other hand, was the complete opposite of Prague. People are really friendly and Warsaw is a beautiful city.

I'd ignore this post altogether, if I were you.

Firstly, it's pretty much universally stated that Prague is more beautiful than Warsaw.

Secondly, the crime that this poster talks about is extremely rare. I've lived here for 12 years and I've never heard of anything like it. It's true that petty thievery is relatively common, but that doesn't mean Prague is a scary city - far from it. Just watch your wallet!

Thirdly, the level of English you'll come across in Prague is certainly well above the average for Europe. The majority of educated young people speak English at an intermediate level at least.

Fourthly, there is corruption but among politicians and the like. It's a bit worrying, but a) it needn't concern expats TOO much, and b) I don't think it's worse than you'd find in Warsaw - altho' I could be proven wrong on that score.
miss smarty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Just my opinion Reply with quote

Well, I was in Prague in for three months. Frankly, I didn�t like it nor thought it was that pretty. That is just my opinion. To each his own! It�s one of those cities that you either love or hate. I have lots of friends who simply adored Prague; I have other friends, like my friend who was mugged, who didn�t have such a great impression. I am simply just giving my opinion based on my experiences. I personally had a better time in Warsaw and found the people to be friendlier. Laughing
nnmartin

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about Warsaw, in Jun, July, Aug, Sept?

any schools open?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: another dave's measuring contest Reply with quote

I've lived in the CSR and Poland. I much prefer Poland too. Prague, I think, is overrated and Warsaw is a dump.

Why do I prefer Poland?

1-It's got more of everything you can see in the CSR plus the seaside.
2-Polish food is one zillion percent better.
3-The women, certainly in the west of Poland, are much less parochial.....and IMHO friendlier, better looking and better dressed.
4-Outside Prague...which is like a weekend trip......where do you go? Rock cities in Bohemia? Tatras? Well Poland's got all that too and loads of really nice cities like Torun, Krakow, Wroclaw, Poznan and Sopot to name but a few. Brno...come on!!
5-There's more going on in Poland generally.
6-You can buy Czech beer everywhere in Poland....so they can't pull that card.

Workwise, both are full of the same shady language outfits and shady work practices.

Both are becoming expensive.

Both are rammed with male TEFL teachers seeking poontang and piwo.
Sigma

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of places to visit in the Czech Republic which are interesting, but not necessarily 'big' cities. I suppose it all depends in what a person wants to do.

Cesky Krumlov, Loket, Karlovy Vary, Hradec Kralove, Ceske Budejovice, Olomouc, Stramerk, Lednice, Valtice, Mikulov, Moravsky Kras, Sumava etc...
sparks

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Olomouc where the Russians camped, or ran the war from in War and Peace?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: