Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013 Italy hiring regulations allow US citizens now?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chica88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: 2013 Italy hiring regulations allow US citizens now? Reply with quote

Can US citizens get work now in Italy with an ESL certificate and a BA if a job is open?

It has come to my attention that some schools in Italy hire US citizens because Italy does not have the same strict of regulations to follow for immigration as Spain and Germany. I have no way of knowing if this is true or not but I do have some questions...

Are you a US citizen or are you working with US citizens in Italy teaching ESL classes privately or in a school?

Do you know what the circumstances where and why the US citizens got hired at your school?

Do you find that US citizens get hired because they have more qualifications than all others in the entire universe?
Or did the US citizen get hired simply because they applied at the right place at the right time?

My wish is to have new information exchanged which is new and maybe even helpful to US citizens seeking work in Italy.
Many US citizens are used to running into brick walls with EU regulations. But, a great deal of US citizens would like to know what makes it possible not impossible to get work in Italy

Please don't include:

- Volunteering
- Working at IB schools
- US citizens with masters
- People working on student visas

Last edited by chica88 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's quite feasible for US citizens to get work permits for Germany.
chica88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Actually, it's quite feasible for US citizens to get work permits for Germany.

I will not argue that point because I'm not in Germany and do not know whats going on there.
I was told German schools are only supposed to hire US citizens if they can't find another German person with the same or excelling skills.
That makes Germany quite a force to be reckoned with in my book.
To bring it back to Italy - I only know that I was told that Italy does not have the same strict guidelines to follow for immigration as Spain and Germany.
Maybe its possible Italy does not have the same hoops to jump through as Germany and Spain?
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have friends and working partners at international schools and universities in Italy. They still say the same old same old as regards hiring non-EU citizens for universities and international schools (we had quite a lot of meetings in January with our international partners and I am currently involved in a hiring effort so have been in communication over the past month with connections in other European countries as a part of our job candidate search).

I won't elaborate as you clearly already know what the same-old restrictions are and this obviously isn't what you want to learn here.

Maybe someone will come along with some revolutionary new news.
chica88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something I have run into a few times here in the last few weeks.
I as a general rule focus on work in Latin countries.
I am not in any way opposed to work in the EU however regulations make it difficult.
There are the occasional stories of US citizens getting hired who don't have magic skills.

Anyway...
Ironically for a position in Chile I was told they could only interview me if I already had a work permit.
If I already had a work permit that would mean I had a job offer from someone else and was working for them.
For the sake of argument in Chile it works the same as Mexico:
If you have a job offer with a contract you can get a work permit.

In Italy a school just told me in an e-mail:

"if the candidate has already moved and is living in Milan it is an excellent sign of intent."

But, I believe the question still arises.
Do schools in Italy even hire US citizens?
Or do most US citizens end up working in the black as they do in Spain?
As a side note I'm walking into this Italy hiring US citizens subject matter under the assumption Italy will only hire US citizens if no Italian citizen in all of Italy can meet the job requirements.

This is what it states on the US DEPARTMENT OF STATE website.
It never gives a great deal of specifics but communicates the general idea as follows:

Work Permits

American citizens who have a job offer in Italy, or wish to work in Italy, either temporarily or permanently,
must be provided with a work permit obtained by the prospective employer,
and must obtain a work visa from the Italian Consular authorities BEFORE coming to Italy.
A written job offer or an employment contract is not regarded as a valid document for working in Italy:
the prospective employer is required to apply for preliminary clearance from the provincial employment office
(Ufficio Provinciale del Lavoro e della Massima Occupazione)
in the proposed city of employment by submitting evidence that persons qualified for the position offered to a non-resident foreigner are not available in the local labor market.
If clearance is granted, the prospective employer is further required to obtain a work permit with the approval of the regional and central authorities.
The permit is then sent to the worker so that he or she may apply for the entry visa.
There are Italian consular offices in most major cities in the U.S.
The procedure for professional and self-employment is basically the same as that described above.
A permit to reside in Italy for the purpose of employment is obtained after arrival in the country from the central police office
(Questura) having jurisdiction.
To apply for permit, you must submit a valid Italian visa and work permit.

I also spoke to the Italian consulate in the US this morning and they had me look at this information:

VISA OFFICE

The Visa Office handles the issuance of visas allowing applicants entrance into Italy and other countries in Europe (the "Schengen Countries").

Visa Department Address:
The entrance to the Visa Office is located at:

2590 Webster Street
San Francisco

Postal address:
Consulate General of Italy
2590 Webster Street
San Francisco, CA 94115

Information:
For information not specifically listed in the pages indicated below, please contact the visa office by e-mail:

Email:[email protected]
Fax: +1 (415) 931-7205

IMPORTANT:
Visa applications by appointment
In order to improve the service to the public and avoid long lines, this Consulate General has decided to adopt a system of appointments for visa applications.
Therefore, as of 1 February 2013, all Visa applications from permanent residents of this Consular jurisdiction will be accepted only by appointment.
You may book your appointment through our website: Book Now

FEES:

Schengen Visa: $76.60

National Visa: $148.05

For citizens of Russia, Moldova, Ukraine, Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro: $44.70

We accept ONLY cashier�s check or money order (no cash, no credit cards, no personal checks)

In order to receive the passport and visa by mail, the applicant must bring a self addressed, prepaid or stamped envelope and a photocopy of it. The Visa Office will accept only Express Mail prepaid envelopes from the U.S. Postal Service (no FedEx, no UPS). The Visa Office is not responsible for lost or stolen passports in transit.

Moreover, the applicant should also bring the Declaration for Mailing Passports duly filled out.

GENERAL INFORMATION

All documents must be presented in original and photocopy (included photocopy of passport and relevant pages, green card, driving license, I-20, Advanced Parole etc.)

As of January 11, 2011 citizens of the following countries DO NOT require a visa when visiting the Schengen Area countries for a stay of up to 90 days per semester ONLY if traveling with a passport including the Identity Card reference number:
Taiwan

As of September 1, 2010, citizens from countries with short-term visa exemption may enter Italy for academic purposes, for periods up to ninety days, without the corresponding student visa.

The Schengen area includes the following countries: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.

Citizens of countries belonging to the European Union do not need visas for any Schengen Country.

Citizens of the Countries listed below DO NOT require visas when visiting the Schengen area for tourism, official or business stays up to 90 days:
ANDORRA, ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA, ARGENTINA, AUSTRALIA, BAHAMAS, BARBADOS, BRAZIL, BRUNEI, BULGARIA, CANADA, CHILE, COSTA RICA, CROATIA, CYPRUS, EL SALVADOR, GUATEMALA, HONDURAS, HONG KONG SAR, ISRAEL, JAPAN, LIECHTENSTEIN, MACAO SAR, MALAYSIA, MAURITIUS, MEXICO, MONACO, NEW ZEALAND, NICARAGUA, PANAMA, PARAGUAY, SAN MARINO, SEYCHELLES, SINGAPORE, SOUTH KOREA, ST KITTIS-NEVIS, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, URUGUAY, VATICAN CITY, VENEZUELA.

As of December 15, 2010 citizens of the following countries DO NOT require a visa when visiting the Schengen Area countries for a stay of up to 90 days per semester ONLY if traveling with a biometric passport: ALBANIA and BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA .

As of December 19, 2009 citizens of the following countries DO NOT require a visa when visiting the Schengen Area countries for a stay of up to 90 days per semester ONLY if traveling with a biometric passport: MACEDONIA, MONTENEGRO, SERBIA.

Foreigners who visit Italy for business, tourism, or study for up to 90 days must fill out a �dichiarazione di presenza� (declaration of presence).

All visitors who stay for more than 90 days must apply for a �permesso di soggiorno� (residency permit) within 8 days from their arrival in Italy.

U.S. Citizens do not require visas when visiting Italy with Diplomatic or Official Passports for official stays of 90 days or less.

Citizens of the Countries not listed above do need a visa to enter the Schengen area, even if they are legal residents of the United States of America.

Therefore if:

* Italy is your main destination;
* You are visiting different Countries in the Schengen area, but Italy is the Country in the Schengen area where you will be spending most of the time (number of days);
* You are visiting different Countries in the Schengen area, but you are spending an equal number of days in each Country, and Italy is your first port of entry in the Schengen area;

YOU MUST APPEAR IN PERSON to apply for a VISA or you may submit your application to the Honorary Consul for a prescreening and then mail it to the Consulate General.

Applications which do not fulfill/provide ALL requirements will be rejected.

Complete applications must be submitted at least 4 weeks prior to departure date and cannot be processed earlier than 90 days BEFORE departure date.

JURISDICTION:

This office can issue visas ONLY to legal residents or students of Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, American Territories of Samoa, Guam, Marshall Islands, Marianna Islands and California, except for the following Counties: San Luis Obispo, Kern, San Bernardino, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Riverside, San Diego, Imperial Valley, and Orange. Residents of the named Counties must apply through the Italian Consulate in Los Angeles.

Proof of residence: driver's license or Resident State Income Tax.

Students enrolled full-time at a University located in our jurisdiction meet the residency requirement.

PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS:

Your passport must be valid at least 3-6 months beyond the date of your return to the United States. Passports must contain at least two blank pages. Passports must have been issued within the previous 10 years.

LEGAL STATUS:

Only holders of one of the following documents may apply for a visa:

* U.S. Passport (when visa waiver is not applicable, i.e. for long term stay);
* U.S. Permanent Resident Card (formerly Green Card), foreign students holding valid visas and valid I-20, exchange visitors holding valid visas and I-66;
* Long term visas except B1/B2. Holders of B1/B2 Visa can only apply for air transit visas if necessary.

PROCESSING TIME:

Depending on your nationality and the documents presented, it can take 15 days up to 60 days (from the day the application is complete) to issue a SCHENGEN VISA.
Urgent processing is not considered by the Schengen visa procedure.

For NATIONAL VISAS check specific type of VISA.

Applications cannot be accepted if filed earlier than 90 calendar days from the departure date.

MINOR APPLICANTS:

For minor applicants, the following certification is needed:

* Authorization to travel signed by both parents. Both parents should appear in person before the VISA officer.
* birth certificate, original or a notarized copy. Foreign (i.e. non US) birth certificates must be translated into Italian, and the translation legalized by the Italian Consulate with jurisdiction over the area in which the certificate was issued;
* Copies of both parents' picture I.D.

Children under 10 do not need to appear personally.

All foreign documents MUST be translated into English and the translations legalized by the competent Consulate.

Information on the photographic specifications for the photograph to be submitted by applicants

http://www2.icao.int/en/MRTD/Downloads/Technical%20Reports/Annex_A-Photograph_Guidelines.pdf

VISAS TO ENTER ITALY

Visa Information:

If you would like to travel to Italy, depending to your citizenship, the duration and purpose of your stay, a visa may be required before departure.

Do you need a visa? To find out whether you need to apply for a visa and to know the required documents to apply click here

Please do NOT waste your time in line waiting for your turn if you cannot provide all the requirements.

Sample Application for Schengen Visa (already compiled)

SCHENGEN TOURIST AND TRANSIT VISA REQUIREMENTS

All documents must be presented in original and photocopy.

Applicants should provide:

1.Schengen Visa Application Form duly filled in and signed at the Consulate. The applicant must appear in person;

2. Recent passport-style photo (3,5 cm x 4,5 cm or 1''3/8 x 1''3/4, full front and white background - the photo should NOT be glued to the application);

3. Passport (and copy of relevant pages) or travel document valid three months over the planned stay in Italy. The passport will be kept and returned with the visa, if approved.
Visa fee paid for with the exact amount with a money order or cashier�s check payable to the Consulate General of Italy (no cash, no credit cards, and no personal checks are accepted).
For non US citizens: Alien Registration Card or a valid US INS visa and letter from US government letters i.e. Advanced Parole, IAP66, I20 and copies (any visa except B1-B2);
Moreover for non-US citizens proof of residence such as driving license or State Income tax.

4. Return-trip booking or proof of available means of personal transport:
ticket reservations for round-trip flights originating in our jurisdiction to Europe (and ultimately to Italy) and back, including internal entry and exit points of travel i.e. EURORAIL tickets, car rental, internal flights. The names of reservations should reflect the name on passport. The applicant may be required to show the actual ticket when picking up the visa;

5.Proof of available lodging in Italy:
tourist vouchers, hotel booking, offer of hospitality must be sent directly from Italy to the applicant. In case the applicant will be staying with friends/family, a Letter of Invitation is required along with a copy of the host's ID (or "Permit of stay" for hosts who are non-European Union citizens) and with notarized signature of the host;

6. Proof of economic means of support, as per Ministry of Interior Directive 1.3.2000. Last three months' bank statements: the most recent full statements which include bearer's name, address and financial history;

7. Documentation of socio-professional standing:
Recent letter of references from the employer must include: employment start date, job title, annual salary and vacation period and most recent pay stub. Offer letters will not be accepted.
Self-employed applicants should bring business bank statements, copies of business income taxes, certificates of incorporation. For those applicants who are currently unemployed:
a. Dependent spouses: Employment information from spouse i.e. employment letter, pay stubs and joint income tax return;
b. Students dependent on their parents must bring parents� financial information and an official verification of enrollment from their school;
c. Retired persons: must bring proof of their monthly pensions;

8. Proof of medical insurance covering the entire period of stay in Italy.
US health insurances are accepted only with letter from the insurance provider confirming overseas coverage. The letter from your insurance company must state that you will be covered for any medical expenses, hospitalization and repatriation for at least 50,000$ during your stay in Europe. If your current insurance company does not provide such a coverage, you have to find an international insurance.
Please note that failure to provide this document with this exact wording will delay the granting of the visa.

9. Applicants for short term visas (up to 90 days) must also present an itinerary of their trip.

For minors:

For those between the ages of 14-18:

* Original birth certificate (and one copy). Please note that all foreign documents must be translated into English and the translation legalized by the Italian Consulate or Embassy of jurisdiction
* A letter from both parents granting permission to travel and assuming financial responsibility for the entire trip. The authorization to travel must be signed by both parents who should appear in person either at the San Francisco Consulate or have their signature notarized by the Italian Consulate where he/she resides;
* A letter from the school acknowledging the absence from school and granting permission (if applicable).

For those under the age of 14:

* In addition to the above mentioned letters, the applicant must travel with at least one parent.

Consular officers have full authority to evaluate and request additional documentation, if deemed necessary, in addition to what is submitted. Furthermore, the applicant is hereby informed that submitting all required documentation does not guarantee the issuance of any particular visa.

Note that incomplete documentation will not be accepted.

SCHENGEN BUSINESS VISA REQUIREMENTS

All documents must be presented in original and photocopy (included photocopy of passport and relevant pages, green card, driving license, I-20, Advanced Parole etc.)

1.Schengen Visa Application Form duly filled in and signed at the Consulate. The applicant must appear in person;

2. Recent passport-style photo (3,5 cm x 4,5 cm or 1''3/8 x 1''3/4, full front and white background - the photo should NOT be glued to the application);

3. Passport (and copy of relevant pages) or travel document valid three months over the planned stay in Italy. The passport will be kept and returned with the visa, if approved.
For non US citizens: Alien Registration Card or a valid US INS visa and letter from US government letters i.e. Advanced Parole, IAP66, I20 and copies (any visa except B1-B2);
Moreover, for non-US citizens, a proof of residence such as driving license or State Income tax.

4. Return-trip booking or ticket;

5. Local letter demostrating status as financial-commercial operators: letters in original from the appliant's company in USA specifyng the reasons the applicant is expected in Italy, position held by the applicant, dates of trip and duration of stay as well as declaration of financial responsibility.
For self-employed applicants: copy of Certificate of incorporation, business income taxes return, business bank statments;

6.letter of invitation from Italian company (in original, on letterhead). The person signing the letter should also include a copy of ID Card/passport;

7. Business license of Italian company (mandatory) and Italian hotel reservation, the latter of which is not compulsory if indicated in the invitation letter.

8. Proof of economic means of support, as per Ministry of Interior Directive 1.3.2000. Last three months bank statements: the most recent full statements which include bearers name, address and financial history;

9. Proof of medical insurance covering the entire period of stay in Italy. US health insurances are accepted only with letters from the insurance provider confirming overseas coverage. Health insurance with a minimum coverage of �30,000 for emergency hospital and repatriation expenses.

IMPORTANT:

Visa fee paid with a money order or cashier�s check payable to the Consulate General of Italy (no cash, no credit cards, no personal checks).

This consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request additional documentation, if deemed necessary, in addition to what is submitted. Furthermore, the applicant is hereby informed that submitting all required documentation does NOT guarantee the issuance of any particular visa.

STUDENT VISA REQUIREMENTS

YOU MUST APPEAR IN PERSON to apply for a VISA or you may submit your application to the Honorary Consul for a prescreening and then mail it to the Consulate General.

1. Students applying directly to an Italian University:

* should request a visa only after they have received confirmation of admission to a class, as regulated by the Italian Ministry of Education.

2. Students participating in study abroad programs:

* A letter from the home University in two copies (original plus one copy) confirming applicant�s enrollment status. The applicant should be fully enrolled in the current academic year or already enrolled for the following semester. Information such as anticipated graduation date, major, etc. should be expressed and must be in official form i.e. with university seal. Faxed copies will not be accepted.
* A letter of acceptance in two copies (original plus one copy) from the US Academic Institution providing for the Study Abroad Program
* letter of acceptance from the host Academic Institution in Italy or the Italian branch of the US Academic Institution providing for the Study Abroad Program
* Official University transcript detailing student status, registration for following semester, anticipated graduation date and current student ID to verify the enrollment. This document is usually issued by the Registrar�s office, in a sealed envelope bearing the university seal.

All applicants should provide:

1. Visa Application form duly filled in and signed. For short stay visas (up to 90 days) please download and fill in the Schengen Visa Application Form. For long stay visas (beyond 90 days) please download and fill in the Long term visa application form.

3. Passport or travel document valid at least three months over the planned stay in Italy and a photocopy of all pages with pertinent information i.e. photo, name, date of birth etc. The passport will be kept and returned with the visa, if approved. The applicant must also present a round-trip flight itinerary, a current student ID, and a photocopy of both. In the case of non-U.S. citizens you need to have the U.S. Alien Registration Card, or F1 Visa and updated I-20 and a copy;

4. proof of means of support in Italy of

* no less than �417.30 for each month of the academic year (for students enrolled in a full-time course or a Master);
* no less than � 27.89 per day (for those who participate in a study abroad program).

The means of support can be proven through:

a) proof of personal or family resources.

In case of students financially dependent on their parents we require:

* a notarized Affidavit of Financial Support from the student's parents, in two copies (original plus one copy), stating they will assume full financial responsibility for their son/daughter during his/her stay in Italy;
* a letter in two copies (original plus one copy) from the parents� Bank on the Bank�s letterhead, signed by a Bank official, indicating account balance. Bank statements cannot be accepted.

In case of self-sufficient students we require:

* a letter in two copies (original plus one copy) from the students� bank on the Bank�s letterhead, signed by a Bank official, indicating account balance. Bank statements cannot be accepted;
* proof of available means of support for the stay in Italy of an amount not less than that established in Table A annexed to Ministry of Interior Directive 1.3.2000 (click here). Please note that the amount must be specified in US dollars.

If the applicant is a recipient of financial aid, a letter from the Financial Aid Advisor, stating the amount granted for that semester, costs, etc must be submitted.

b) guarantee of financial resources by accredited Italian institutions or agencies, local government, or foreign institutions or agencies considered trustworthy by the Italian Diplomatic Representation;

c) an Affidavit of Health Insurance, if the letter of acceptance from the home University does not specify that the University will provide for full health insurance, conforming to Italian standards. [INA-Assitalia provides specific foreign student insurance coverage].

5. Declaration of the availability in Italy of appropriate lodgings. If the applicant will be staying with friends/family, a Letter of Invitation is required along with a copy of the host's ID ("Permit of stay" for non-European Union citizens) and with notarized signature of the host.

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are applying for a master's program you must provide supporting documentation regarding previous degree, i.e. diploma, bachelor degree, final transcript, etc.

Student visas are free of charge

This consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request additional documentation, if deemed necessary, in addition to what is submitted. Furthermore, the applicant is hereby informed that submitting all required documentation does not guarantee the issuance of any particular visa.

PROCESSING TIME:

It can take 30 days and over (from the day the application is complete) to issue a visa.

Applications cannot be accepted if filed earlier than 90 calendar days from the departure date.

SUBORDINATE WORK VISA REQUIREMENTS

1. Visa Application form duly filled in and signed at the Consulate. For short stay visas (up to 90 days) please download and fill in the
Schengen Visa Application Form. For long stay visas (beyond 90 days) please download and fill in the Long term application form. You must appear in person;

3. Passport or travel document valid three months over the applicant�s planned stay in Italy. The passport will be kept and returned with the visa, if approved. Applicants should also provide a ticket reservations.
Moreover for non-US citizens proof of residence such as driving license or State Income tax.
This visa is to be issued pending issuance of the �nulla osta� (entry clearance), to be requested by the employer. The "Sportello Unico" (Unified Immigration Desk) will provide for the Nulla Osta (entry clearance) and the "contratto di soggiorno per lavoro" (job contract) to be sent to the Diplomatic Representation.

This consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request additional documentation, if deemed necessary, in addition to what is submitted. Furthermore, the applicant is hereby informed that submitting all required documentation does NOT guarantee the issuance of any particular visa.

REGULATIONS TO BE OBSERVED BY VISITING FOREIGNERS
DURING THEIR STAY IN ITALY

Foreigners must report to the Questura of the city they are residing in, to obtain a �Permesso di Soggiorno� (Residency Permit), within three days from entry into Italy.
The �Residency Permit� must be presented together with the passport, upon any request of the Italian Authorities. It must be surrendered to the Italian Authorities at the time the foreigner departs from Italy.
To obtain an extension of the �Permesso di Soggiorno�, the visiting foreigner must file an application with the Questura of the city he/she is visiting, specifying the reason for the request.

PROCESSING TIME:
It can take 90 days and over (from the day the application is complete) to issue a visa.

INDEPENDENT WORK VISA REQUIREMENTS

Ask for information at the Visa Office when in possession of an original contract and/or sponsorship material from Italy.
Please note: This type of visa is subject to quota restrictions. Therefore, even if all required documents are presented, this Office cannot guarantee issuance of a Visa.

PROCESSING TIME:

It can take 120 days and over (from the day the application is complete) to issue a visa.

RESIDENCY VISA REQUIREMENTS

The residency visa allows entrance into Italy to individuals who belong in one of the following categories:

* retired persons (especially of Italian origin) wishing to reside in Italy and who can demonstrate a stable and adequate pension income and financial resources;
* persons with high self-sustaining incomes and financial assets.

1. Long term visa application form duly filled in and signed at the Consulate. The applicant must appear in person. Visa fee paid for with a money order or cashier�s check payable to the Consulate General of Italy (no cash, no credit cards, no personal checks);

3. Passport or valid travel document valid three months over the planned stay in Italy. The passport will be kept and returned with the visa, if approved.

4. Documented and detailed guarantee of substantial and steady private income private income (pensions or annuities) from property, stable economic and commercial activities or from other sources. Proof of financial means, such as letters from the applicant�s bank indicating the financial status of their accounts, including amount of money in each account, copy of last pension check received etc. Rental agreement or deed for property in Italy;

5. Availability of adequate lodgings in Italy. A letter from the applicant where he/she specifies the reason for his/her stay in Italy, length of stay and where he/she plans to reside, name of persons accompanying the applicant such as the spouse, children, etc.

This visa is issued solely to those who are planning to move to Italy and
it does not allow the applicant to work.

RELIGIOUS ACTIVITY VISA REQUIREMENTS

1. Visa Application form duly filled in and signed at the Consulate. For short stay visas (up to 90 days) please download and fill in the
Schengen Visa Application Form. For long stay visas (beyond 90 days) please download and fill in Long term visa application form. You must appear in person;

3. Passport or travel document valid three months over the applicant�s planned stay in Italy. The passport will be kept and returned with the visa, if approved.
Visa fee paid for with the exact amount with a money order or cashier�s check payable to the Consulate General of Italy (no cash, no credit cards, no personal checks).
For non US citizens, proof of residence such as: Alien Registration Card or a valid US INS visa (any visa except B1-B2) and US government document i.e. visa renewal letter, Advanced parole, IAP66, I20 and copies, etc;

4. Return-trip booking or ticket or proof of available means of personal transport;

5. Adequate documentation regarding the applicant�s effective �religious� qualification. Applicants should provide: an original letter from your Congregation/Parish in the US stating your position within the parish and your assignment in Italy;

6. Adequate and documented assurances regarding the religious nature of the event in which the applicant intends to take part or regarding the activity to be carried out in Italy. The letter from Congregation in Italy should specify the purpose of the trip, the name and address of the organization where the applicant intends to stay and the length of stay. Specific mention should be made to the fact that, while in Italy, the applicant�s personal needs will be met in full by the Congregation; the letter must bear an official seal from the Holy See's competent authorities;

7. Proof economic means of support as per Ministry of Interior Directive 1.3.2000 (click here) or declaration of assumption of responsibility by the religious organisation;

8. Health insurance with a minimum coverage of 50,000USD for emergency hospital and repatriation expenses.

This consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request additional documentation, if deemed necessary, in addition to what is submitted. Furthermore, the applicant is hereby informed that submitting all required documentation does not guarantee the issuance of any particular visa.

Foreigners must report to the Questura of the city they are visiting, to obtain a �Permesso di Soggiorno� (Residency Permit), within eight days from entry into Italy.
The �Residency Permit� must be presented together with the passport, upon any request of the Italian Authorities. It must be surrendered to the Italian Authorities at the time the foreigner departs from Italy.
To obtain an extension of the �Permesso di Soggiorno�, the visiting foreigner must file an application with the Questura of the city he/she is visiting, specifying the reason for the request. Said extension cannot be requested for work purposes.

FAMILY REASONS VISA REQUIREMENTS

The family reasons visa allows entrance in Italy to:

* the spouse of an EU or European Economic Area citizen.*
Spouses of EU citizens do not need the "Nulla Osta"; they should instead provide the Visa Office with copy of the EU citizen�s identity document or passport along with a declaration by the EU citizen requesting the presence of the family member in Italy and swearing to be in possession of the requisites foreseen by the law.
* a relative(spouse, children, or dependent parents)of a non-EU citizen holding a regular Italian Permit of stay. In this case you need a "nulla osta" (entry clearance) issued no more than 6 months earlier by the competent "Sportello Unico" (Unified Immigration Desk).

*For spouses of EU citizens there is no fee for the visa.

1. Long term visa application form duly filled in and signed at the Consulate. You must appear in person;

3. Passport or travel document valid three months over the applicant�s planned stay in Italy. The passport will be kept and returned with the visa, if approved.
Visa fee paid for with the exact amount with a money order or cashier�s check payable to the Consulate General of Italy (no cash, no credit cards, no personal checks).

4. Copy of the EU or European Economic Area citizen�s identity document or passport along with a declaration requesting the presence of the family member in Italy and swearing to be in possession of the requisites foreseen by the law;

5. Administrative documentation (marriage certificate, birth certificate, etc.) attesting to the familial relationship. Proof of relationship (birth certificates for children or marriage certificate for spouse). Foreigners applying for permanent residency in Italy through marriage to an Italian citizen must register their marriage at the competent Italian Consulate prior to applying for the visa;

6. In the case of minor children, written permission from the child's other parent for visa to be issued.

Declaration of Italian Citizen Resident in Italy

Declaration Italian Citizen Resident in USA

Foreigners must report to the �Questura� of the city where they are residing in, to obtain a �Permesso di Soggiorno� (Stay Permit), within one week from entry into Italy. To obtain an extension of the �Permesso di Soggiorno�, the foreigner must file an application with the �Questura� before the expiration of the original stay permit.

I will keep this forum updated on what I find out.
I will be contacting the Italian consulate with some questions on the process.

Last edited by chica88 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"if the candidate has already moved and is living in Milan it is an excellent sign of intent."

Translation: living here legally. Of course that's an excellent sign that the candidate is employable!

Another (probably unwanted) elaboration:
Quote:
Italy hiring US citizens subject matter under the assumption Italy will only hire US citizens if no Italian citizen in all of Italy can meet the job requirements.

This is not only about Italian citizens (or German or Spanish). The rule is actually 'will only hire non-EU citizens if no EU citizen can meet the requirements.' You're competing against scads of qualified British/Irish/other citizens.
For an employer to get a work permit for a non EU teacher, the school has to argue to the national authorities that the teacher has quals that no EU candidate for the position had. That's why it really never happens...

Laughing Laughing Considered marrying an EU citizen? I believe PeterBar and I may have some leads for you:http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=1082120&highlight=#1082120
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked in both Germany and Italy. If you think the German bureaucracy is difficult, you clearly have not dealt with the Italians when they are enforcing regulations. All Americans teaching in Italy at the level you are asking about are:

1. Illegal

2. Legally resident in Italy by means of a visa for some purpose other than work, most notably either family reunification (spouse, child, or parent of an Italian, or other legal resident) OR study.

3. A variation of #1, in which a school that teaches both English and Italian will provide the documentation that states you are a full-time student (20+ hours per week) allowing you to acquire a student visa that will permit up to 20 hours of work a week. Oops, sorry, you did say that you don't want to hear about student visas. Note that #3 cannot be completed from within Italy; the applicant must apply for the visa from the US.

ETA:
4. Dual citizens. Not sure about applicants for ctizenship by ancestry. I've heard conflicting reports about whether an applicant can work while waiting for citizenship to be granted.

The exceptions to the above are extremely rare unless you happen to have extremely rare skills, or perhaps an invitation from someone with enough power and influence to make all the rules and regulations just go away.

Very Happy Wink

Last edited by Xie Lin on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:13 am; edited 2 times in total
chica88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm still going to have a conversation with the Italian consulate.

There is one school in Italy which stated in a rather long e-mail that they would in fact hire me if I was in Italy with a work permit.
But, its a gamble especially in the EU.
I would hate the get through the interview process or whatever then have the school run into immigration issues hiring me.
When seeking work abroad you don't need extra things working against you.

And I'm still interested in hearing from US citizens working in Italy if any come across this forum.
Even if it does not work out for me I'm always interested in others first hand experiences.

Last edited by chica88 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is one school in Italy which stated in a rather long e-mail that they would in fact hire me if I was in Italy with a work permit.

Of COURSE if you are eligible for a work permit an Italian school will be interested in you. It's not that they don't want to hire Americans; it's that Americans can't get work permits and the Italian schools don't have the means to get work permits for them - because they'd have to prove that the American has some required skill no EU candidate for the job had.

Do let us know what the consulate tells you; others are always interested.
chica88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:

Of COURSE if you are eligible for a work permit an Italian school will be interested in you. It's not that they don't want to hire Americans; it's that Americans can't get work permits and the Italian schools don't have the means to get work permits for them - because they'd have to prove that the American has some required skill no EU candidate for the job had.

Yes, right.
This is the same regulations if you will as Germany.
The reason I started this conversation was because I 'heard' there were new regulations out there and that Italy didn't have to follow the same strict guidelines as Spain and Germany.
Maybe thats wrong information.
Thought there was a chance it could in fact be true because Italy is in fact a different country than Spain for example.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please report back to this forum and let us know how it goes with the Consulate. However, as others have already said you are going to need an almost impossible amount of good fortune to get a work permit to work in Italy legally - as Xie Lin has outlined. As far as I know, there has been no change in the law regarding EU employment. US citizens are usually no more qualified than European applicants.

Good luck to you.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chica88 wrote:

Well. . . Yeah. Of course you can get hired IF YOU HAVE A WORK PERMIT! It is getting the work permit that is all but impossible unless you are 1. On a student visa, or 2. Married or otherwise related to a citizen/ legal resident. Or 3. Qualified beyond all EU citizens.

For lots and lots of threads about the experiences of frustrated Americans who want to work in Italy and can't, I suggest reading the Expats in Italy forum.

Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget Italy! Come to Russia!! Fly away on the wings of the wind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbQiClMXfdg
chica88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Forget Italy! Come to Russia!! Fly away on the wings of the wind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbQiClMXfdg

I actually was making that very comment to a friend of mine earlier today.
That although Russia is a member of the EU they do hire Americans.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha ha!! Good one! Boom boom!

Wrong union, I'm afraid. It's the Soviet Union!

Слава СССР!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: