Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For those living in Qatar an FYI to be aware

View previous topic :: View next topic  
millie18

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: For those living in Qatar an FYI to be aware Reply with quote

An American teacher at one of the international schools was killed last week in Doha. She was from Pennsylvania. What little is known can be read at http://dohanews.co/ or the US newspaper http://www.tnonline.com/2012/nov/21/thorpe-teacher-killed-qatar

This is NOT a post to scaremonger, it is intended to make others aware that while Qatar is generally safer than our own home countries in many respects, random acts of violence do occur and we should all be aware of our surroundings.

Unfortunately, the local press rarely reports incidents which may not reflect the picture the authorities wish to portray about Qatar.
Headshoulderskneesn'thobe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As

Last edited by Headshoulderskneesn'thobe on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:40 am; edited 3 times in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

millie... if you are able to pass on more confirmed details of this story, it may be helpful for others to protect themselves.

VS
millie18

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until a hearing is held neither the police nor the MoI are prepared to make any public statements.

I guess the most reliable info would be that from the family as they would be kept informed by the Embassy here in their dealings with authorities.

So the info the father has provided in the news article would probably be the safest.

If anything more substantive is released from offical sources I'll update the thread.
dash201

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be fair to say that this happens in just about every country across the world. If someone is too na�ve to understand that then they should just stay under their rock.

As for the murder, yes a very sad event. However, I still think Qatar is safer than many places on this Earth.
millie18

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I would agree, Qatar IS safer than most of our home countries.

It is also probably, sadly, true, that if the victim had been from the sub continent or east Asia it wouldn't even have become public.

The message was meant to keep people aware that bad things can happen in good countries too.
Redcar24

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Abuse To Expats in qatar Reply with quote

FYI ......There are a lot of stories of Expats being hurt or killed last week Me and my girl friend was driving and a Qatari guy didn't like the fact that we were in front of him and came from behind to wreck our car for no reason and then caused us to get a 6000 riyal ticket at a red light on Ryan street after that came at us again...

When we went to the police they ignored our complaint refused to make it official after we wrote and made statements. We were treated like we were garbage...No offense I have the police report for our car because the guy came in said I did it and left,,,, After trying to flip our car.

Please re post this message about the teacher every minute you can I am so sorry but it is happening to other people too! Feel free to sent me a private message to get the police report number from our car.....
blastermill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing and hopefully the last. Nobody knows who was involved but this is definitely not how most people here behave. People are normally very civilized and courteous so this was a shocker.

http://dohanews.co/post/44134180099/report-woman-sustains-multiple-injuries-after-fight
http://dohanews.co/post/44134180099/report-woman-sustains-multiple-injuries-after-fight#ixzz2PZjBQNDL
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, much of the story is missing. Nationalities should be given... and when not, one suspects that at least one of the cars contained Qataris. Sounds like too much of the crap that happens in the US.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: