Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Dubai
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Teaching in Dubai Reply with quote

I am thinking of teaching in Dubai from next year. I am planning to visit Dubai for the first time at xmas to get a feel for the place. Has anyone taught in Dubai before? has anyone got any advice they can offer?
thanks
naz
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naz

Yes and yes---------

There is really no way to reply to a vague posting like this. Have you read the information on all of the threads here?

Have you read the Job Information Journal? How about the Lonely Planet Thorntree site?

Who are you? What is your experience? What is your education? What are your goals, interests, whatever?

VS
naz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Dubai Reply with quote

thanks for your reply.

I have 5 years teaching experince focus on teaching maths with ICT. I am looking aboard because I am fed up with the way education is going in England and I would a new challenge. I have looked for the threads on Dubai ut have had little success as I am new to these forums.
Any advice on which schools I should be looking at and paerticularly any schools that I should avoid would be welcomed.

Naz
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naz,

I fear that you will not find much help on here for teaching math. We are all a bunch of English teachers.

One thing that I can tell you is that the Middle East looks for people with degrees - degrees related to the field that they wish to teach - and preferably advanced degrees.

So, if you have a degree in education with a major in mathmatics, you would look at primary or secondary schools. I don't know what ICT is, so I don't know how that relates to any places in the Emirates.

It sounds like you just may have to look around when you go there and see what kind of places relate to your education and experience. Since Christmas is not a holiday there, you should be able to contact the places that look interesting to you. Then, you might come back here and ask if anyone knows anything about the reputation of the places you found.

VS
naz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

again thanks for your reply.

I have a 1st class honours in Mathematics and a post graduate teaching qualification. ICT is Information Communication Technology - basically teaching maths with the use of computer and interactive whiteboards.

thanks for all your advice.
naz
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Naz,

It sounds to me like you should look into the international schools (presuming that you are interested in teaching children).

I would expect that there are quite a few places equivalent to ICT in Dubai - though I don't know if they will all have interactive white boards!! Smile (sounds scary to me - like it might slap me if I make a spelling error.)

They have a good English phone book there with yellow pages, in fact you should be able to find names and phone number online if you surf about. Dubai has lots of websites.

Good Luck!

VS
megs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: List of schools Reply with quote

http://www.cois.org/Directory/Gen_Schoolsearch.asp

This site will give you a list of all the international schools registered with the Council of International Schools. If you are interested in any schools, start early with the job search, i.e. get your CV out around November. A lot of hiring is done by February. At least that was my experience with schools in Dubai.

Good Luck!!
naz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked into the web site thanks Megs - looks good. Have looked at a few schools and will be contacting some soon. Also have taken a few addresses so i can visit them while on holiday there.

Does anybody know the tax situation - i hav been told various different stories:
1)0% tax there but taxed at 40% when returning to the UK
2)0% tax there and not taxed back in the UK

either of these correct? if not what is the situation with paying tax.
Naz
Afra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no income tax in the UAE at the moment but it is under discussion for ex-pat workers. You don't pay UK tax either unless you live there more than a certain number of days each year - about three months, I think.

Try Dubai College, The English College and Emirates International schools. They all teach the English National Curriculum and/or the IB.
JT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Feedbak on offer form Dubai Reply with quote

Hi,

I received an offer from HCT-DMC to teach Engineering. I have never been to Dubai. I would welcome feedback that you may have on HCT
offer. I have a master in Electrical and Computer Engineering with
10 years of pratical industry experience and same amount of yeras
as a part-time faculty in the USA.

Salary: Dhs. 13,700, Childern schooling paid up to Dhs. 80,000 per year, annual airline ticket, Free accomedation, Furniture allowance,
end of service payment (1month's salary per year of service) and
repatriation allowance of Dhs. 5000 and 2 months paid vacation. We are a family of four (wife and 2 kids) form the USA. Also what
kind of accomedation HCT is providing for a family of four and can
you save for the future ??

Again any feedback is greatly apprecited.

Best Regards
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JT

That sounds to be the usual pay package for HCT with an MA. The school fees probably will not cover all of your costs for the kids, but it is still one of the most generous allowances to be found. HCT housing is almost always good. You should have no problems.

No one can tell you whether you could save or not as none of us know your lifestyle. Remember that almost $45,000 is what you will take home along with free housing. No taxes from either the US nor the Emirates, so you would have to be terribly profligate not to save something. Cool I saved 80% of my salary as a single person, but I live quite frugally - though I had some great holiday travels in the summers.

Good Luck

VS
JT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi VS
Thank you for your response. Since you have lived in Dubai, I have a few questions.

1- How long did you live in UAE ?
2- Did you work at HCT ? If so, did you enjoy working there (i.e. Management)
3- Do you know how large of an accomendation they provide (in square feet) for a family of four ?
4- Why is 80,ooo Dhs still not enough one child ? What is the tutition fees for a private school ?
5- Did you spend most of your career in UAE ?
6- After my HCT contract expires, I plan to work in the private sector in UAE ....Do you have any idea what is the average salary for my skills ?
7- What are the chances that my wife can find a job in Dubai ? She has a Finance Degree with 9 years experience in Marketing/Business Analyst....
8- How does the cost of living in Dubai compare to the States ? (i.e. Utlities/gas/clothes/food/Appliances/Furniture/Cars) Is it expensive ?

thank you for your time to answer my questions.
Afra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cost of schooling depends on the age of the child. 80,000AED is the maximum HCT will give: the actual schooling allowance you will get depends on the number of school age children you have. Check on the web sites of the various schools in Dubai, Dubai American Academy, etc. for costs. There are a number if international schools in Dubai but they are probably all on holiday now and places are at a premium; most schools have long waiting lists so if you are coming for the next academic year, you need to get a move on.
The cost of utilities varies according to your needs and where you live. If you are in an apartment, utilities - a/c and water - are usually included in the rent which HCT pays but if you are in a villa, you will have to pay. If you use the a/c a lot, it's expensive but again it depends if your villa is free standing or in a terrace. Also how much you acclimatise to the environment makes a difference. Some people never go outside for six months of the year except from house to car to shopping mall so they probably use a/c a lot more.
Your wife will probably be able to find a job. Every so often there are murmurs about refusing to allow women who are spnsored by their husbands to work but so far nothing has been done. However, as laws are passed by decree it could happen tomorrow.
Housing will be suitable for the size of your family and if you are lucky, fairly close to the schools. Dubai is a large city in terms of distances and it can be very difficult getting around as traffic jams and accidents are an everyday occurrence. The city is regularly gridlocked but the location of the new college in the desert should makes access easier for most people.
Hope this helps!
Afra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Correction to my last post Reply with quote

A/c is usually free in apartments, not water.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT

Good of Afra to jump in here and answer most of your questions for you. Especially as I know very little about educating the kids.

I spent a few years with HCT, but it was in Abu Dhabi. Spend my career there? Goodness, we TEFL teachers are mostly true gypsies and never spend more than a few years in each place.

They are a good employer in that they will follow their contract to the letter and expect you to do the same. The management of each college is different, and like everywhere in life, you may or may not get along with them. Smile Overall management of the HCT system can be a bit much sometimes. The do tend to micromanage, but they are normally not bad intentioned nor vindictive - just a bit intrusive at times.

I would know nothing of your job opportunities outside of education. But, you will have plenty of time to look around during your contract with HCT.

You asked about comparisons to costs in the US. Well, that depends on where you live in the US. It's probably slightly cheaper than New York City, but lots more expensive than Keokuk, Iowa. Smile Prices in the supermarkets are about the same as that of suburb in a larger city. Imported things from the US tend to be quite expensive - try to kick the Oreo habit and try some international brands. Great fruits and veggies available all year and mostly reasonably priced.

You will get a significant furniture allowance that will allow you to buy the basic furniture you need. As I recall some places in Dubai come with applicances, so you will have to wait and see. Not a problem for you though. Utilities are equivalent - water is a bit more expensive naturally.

Cars are much cheaper than the US. Shop around and bargain if you want a new car. Only buy a used car from a Western expat - preferably female - the locals are very hard on their vehicles. (a western female expat who leaves the Gulf never needs more than a day to sell her car for top dollar Smile ) Gas is very cheap. If you want to explore the country on weekends, you'll want to get a 4WD. Be sure to have driver's licenses with a few years left before they expire. Also get a no-claims letter from your car insurance company as it will cut your car insurance premium in half.

I never bought clothes there. The best place to buy clothes is the US as to price vs quality. There are plenty of tailors who can make you and your wife anything you want for a reasonable price. I normally took good cotton with me - and had a few favorite skirts and blouses for them to copy. Plenty of supply as far as children's clothes.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: