Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distance MA TESOLs being refused in the Middle East.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ludvig Von Mises

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Distance MA TESOLs being refused in the Middle East. Reply with quote

Hi,
I realize that every situation is different, but I would very much appreciate some insights based on experience and general knowledge of the Gulf Region.
I have been teaching in Japan for the past 12 years with a BA, and am thinking about working towards an MA TESOL from Nottingham University over the next three years. My current job does not allow any time away, and I live in a rural area so cannot do the Temple U (in country) program. I would have to do the Nottingham program distance. Have been told that the distance and on-campus programs are exactly the same, and there is no mention of delivery on the transcript, but anyone who looks at my CV is going to realize it was not done in the UK. Getting too long winded here, sorry!
I was advised to get a certificate indicating the distance and on-campus are of equal value, content, and academic vigor, (not sure if that would help). MOHESR in the UAE and perhaps some Saudi insitutions close the door on anything"non-traditional."
I would be willing to follow it up with a DELTA if needed, but if the distance MA TESOL is not counted, I would have second thoughts about doing the program. Seems a very costly and time/energy consuming program otherwise.
If most employers reject them now, is there any indication of a change?

Thank you for your help in advance!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the response I posted for you on the UAE branch on the 10th:

Quote:
As to your question about the UAE. Distance or Online degrees from accredited universities are recognized by the Ministry of Higher Education (teaching at university level), but NOT by the Ministry of Education (for teaching K-12 in the schools)

At least this was true last we heard here.

VS
Ludvig Von Mises

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments; thank you!
This is my first time to use Dave`s ESL, so I will make sure to spend more time getting used to the format, read through some threads, etc. Next time my questions will be more organized, and placed correctly.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tends to happen if you hijack a thread with a partially related question. You come on again and forget where you posted. Laughing

You'll catch on... it's not all that complicated.

BTW... my advice is to just bite the bullet and get a distance/online degree from an accredited university - assuming that you plan to stay in this field. And if you have the time, energy and money, the DELTA also looks good on the CV. The more qualifications, the more options that you have.

Online degrees are still rather new, so it may take a few more years before they are widely recognized.

VS
abayababy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was advised to get a certificate indicating the distance and on-campus are of equal value, content, and academic vigor...

Bad advice, IMO. Why open up a can of worms if your diploma doesn't say anything about online or distance? BTW, what is academic vigor Wink ?
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he meant 'vinegar'.
Ludvig Von Mises

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. All good advise! Very Happy
Mushakil

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Experience with employers and distance education Reply with quote

In my opinion, UAE is more lenient toward online degrees. However, they do need to come from an accredited university meaning you can get it authenticated in your country. They now require all degrees to be attested. This means if you are a British citizen you should go to the British Council and get it attested, then you have to get it attested by the UAE government as well. U.S. citizens have a longer process, it has to be notarized by the state you received your degree in, then notarized by Washington D.C. then by the UAE government.

Saudi Arabia on the other hand, does not accept online degrees even if they are accredited if you are working for the government.

Each employer is different and some may hire you and some may not. However, it is a possibility that a uniformed recruiter will mistakenly tell you that it doesn't matter if your degree is online and then you may lose your job later. Especially in the case of Saudi Arabia because they have staff with a lower skill set.
Voyeur

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will a hybrid degree satisfy the Saudis? Or are you either 100% residential or not?
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fashionable expression favoured by the Ministry in Riyadh is "blended degree" ie part distance and part on-casmpus.
Voyeur

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scot. But how do they feel about a blended degree?
sicklyman

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the OP, I too did a distance Master's over three years while in Japan. However, in getting my position here in Saudi, no one ever asked me what status my Master's was and I never said a word. To me, I worked a damn sight harder on research in my three year's than I ever would had I done it residential in one year, but hey, no one who thinks otherwise here will ever be convinced.

I did follow this up though with a DELTA and in actual fact, it was my DELTA that my employer was more interested in at interview.
smedini

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Here is the response I posted for you on the UAE branch on the 10th:

Quote:
As to your question about the UAE. Distance or Online degrees from accredited universities are recognized by the Ministry of Higher Education (teaching at university level), but NOT by the Ministry of Education (for teaching K-12 in the schools)

At least this was true last we heard here.

VS

I can confidently confirm that this is still the case. I applied a few months ago to HCT, passed through screening and had an interview. In the interview they specifically talked about my degree, confirmed that it was done by distance, asked how it worked and moved on through the rest of the interview. Shortly thereafter I received a message letting me know I'd passed the interview stage. One could presume, I assume (Cool), that MOHESR is still down with accepting distance degrees from accredited unis.

~smedini
scepticalbee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ludvig and you all,
it's quite weird to hear that Distance degrees are refused in the Middle East...
Many Saudis got their degrees this way and managed to find a job in their home country...
Besides, as it was already stated, the "online" feature doesn't appear on the transcript so it shouldn't be a problem as long as the Master is accredited...
helenl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless someone can do the math

If your online degree coincides with your current employment - don't be surprised if questions are raised or you are not contacted. Saudi is not UAE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: