Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Long hair (kind of) for Male ESL teachers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nellychess

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Long hair (kind of) for Male ESL teachers? Reply with quote

Maybe it's foolish of me not to cut my hair, but I actually think I look better, more youthful, and more hip with longer hair. My hair is just long enough to get into a pony tail, it looks very neat, but I am not sure if it would be a total turnoff or not for a prospective employer.

I am more interested in a University job, because I have a good paying summer job in the USA.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long hair for men, that can go into a ponytail is NOT cool. Have you seen Steven Seagal?

Nothing hip about that my friend.

(PS Denim-Maniac is bald. You can put this down to jealousy if you so desire)
maxand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denim-Maniac wrote:
Long hair for men, that can go into a ponytail is NOT cool. Have you seen Steven Seagal?

denim-maniac: buzz killington

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t8zNU_dbN0
vikeologist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is likely to be a problem. It would be disapproved of in Chinese males, but we're considered abnormal to start with, which frees us from the constraints of having to be the same as the Chinese.

I think D-M is right. The length of your hair is probably going to get more disapproval from other laowai.

Maybe it will turn off an employer or two, but not to the extent where you need to shorten your hair.

I've only known one foreign male teacher with long hair, and he had no significant problems.
roadwalker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with vikeologist's post. If the overall impression you give is professional, I don't think long hair is a problem. I've known at least one teacher with long hair who had no trouble getting work.
doogsville

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still see the occasional Chinese guy with long hair tied back into a pony tail. Usually accompanied by a goatee beard. Most of them seem quite respectable, outwardly at least. You also have to consider if you are likely to be having face to face interviews. A lot of recruitment goes on sight unseen, and their unlikely to ask you to cut your hair when you turn up for work. I have tattoos which I covered up during my interviews, but have never been a problem once I've got my foot through the door and started teaching.

Also, consider whether you would want to work for a company or school that objected to someone purely on the basis of their hairstyle. Wouldn't that be an indicator of possible problems in the future?
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have hair down to my shoulders and have as of yet never had a problem from my employer but as has been mentioned, organization based on foreign programs will definitely bring their own form of Prejudice.
nellychess

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denim-Maniac wrote:

Steven Seagal? Noooooo. That's not fair!!!!!!

When I was looking into Korea, it seemed to be a problem, maybe more of a conformist society, I don't know.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Git a haircut, ya damn longhair hippy freak!!

you're not likely to have any serious problems with the unis.
more likely is to be regarded by other laowai teachers as a
loser, druggie, bum, backpacker, and so on.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:

Need a few tattoos, preferably up to the neck, dreadlocks, and a history of run ins with the law to complete that picture.
xiguagua

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javelin of Radiance wrote:
choudoufu wrote:

Need a few tattoos, preferably up to the neck, dreadlocks, and a history of run ins with the law to complete that picture.

Minus the run-ins with the law (that I know about) you just described a teacher I used to work with. I disapproved how he dressed because it was way too casual imo. Shorts, t-shirts, sandals, long dreads to his waist that he always had up in his rasta hat. He was a good guy though and a good teacher, which is all that matters in the long run I guess. He's worked at the same school for a couple years now, so they like him well enough.

Chinese have their own stereotypes about guys with long hair too. But with some of the retarded hairstyles i've seen these Chinese boys with, a short ponytail is nothing. I saw a guy today with that stupid hair straight up style and he was wearing a dress shirt and dress pants that were tighter than my skin.......

I don't think you'll have too much of a problem. You'll have to gauge it when you arrive and see what people are saying about it then decide how you feel about it. We don't know what you or your hair looks like, so we can't accurately judge how Seegalesque you are. Wink
Asiateacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience, depends on the school. I came to China with long hair, but it's clean cut now, and I seem to be respected a little more. But I don't think it'll change THAT much.
mandu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a red mohawk
xiguagua

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towards the end of my first year I had a purple mohawk. Then I realize people point, stare, and shout at me enough as it is, I didn't want another reason to call attention to myself. So I shaved it off.

I left it up when I went home for the summer though and to my surprise I was "randomly selected" for a full baggage search when entering America. hmm......
lionheartuk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a male Chinese teacher who has his hair in a ponytail.
I had longish hair until recently when my wife decided I looked too much like a girl so cut it short.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: