Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where in Central/Eastern Europe can a newbie find job?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikael

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Where in Central/Eastern Europe can a newbie find job? Reply with quote

I'm a non-native English speaker with no teaching experience. I do, however, have an MBA from an American university and I lived in the USA for six years. Furthermore, I have an EU-passport and I have taken an online TESL certifcate (ITTT). Where in Central/Eastern Europe would I have the greatest chance of finding employment?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're legally eligible to work anywhere in the region and as most contracts for the region run September-June, you're just missing the major hiring period right now. There is usually a second, smaller bump in January.

For Central Europe, you are unlikely to find anything from abroad; there are plenty of teachers here on the ground and reputable schools don't need to take chances with anyone sight-unseen.
This is not the case farther East; you might want to post on the Russia/CIS forum for more/quicker info on this.

For Central Europe, an online certification puts you at a disadvantage. Most newbies here have on-site certification which includes (key) actual supervised teaching practice with real students. You can try to find something with what you've got, but you may find that you need to upgrade your certification to get better jobs, or any job at all in competitive areas like Prague.

Your MBA is a plus, but here it won't likely make up for your online cert. Basically, you have useful language knowledge, but no-one knows if you can convey it to students well.

For this region, there are obviously start-up costs. You'll need to get yourself here and plan to support yourself until first paycheck; typically monthly at the end of the month worked.

If you find you need to consider a cert upgrade to get into the job market(s) you are interested in, there are lots of courses available in the region. CELTA is the name brand, but there are generics that fit the requirements: 120 hours on-site and including the supervised teaching practice with real students, and feedback from experienced teacher trainers on how you've done.
mikael

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am considering getting a CELTA-certification in a European city close to an area where I would be likely to find employment. What such cities would you recommend?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a good plan - local training centres can give you very useful info about reputable local employers and your cert will definitely be recognized in the region.

I am only personally familiar with Prague, so far as entry-level training goes. There are several CELTA and equivalent centres located here. I believe they are all OK.

My own original cert, from 1998, was a generic with the 120 hours and teaching practice. It's been recognized everywhere I've gone in Europe (West, East, and Central) and also by the Canadian national TESL organization, so the name brand CELTA isnt' absolutely necessary. Just if you do something else, be sure to highlight the on-site hours and teaching practice on your CV so employers know you have an equivalent.
jonniboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd respectfully disagree with Spiral that you've missed the main hiring period. Certainly in the Baltics and, friends tell me, Poland people are still enjoying their last few weeks of summer with schools just beginning to look for teachers as the bulk of courses will start late September/early October. Also here (I'm currently in Latvia) , compared to Western Europe, which is more geared towards a traditional academic year running from September through June, there is a bit more flexibility as courses start and finish at different times of the year with 5 month courses common. I think you should still apply but, no matter how good your English and qualifications, not being a native speaker will definitely hurt you when negotiating pay and conditions.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to Russia! Or at least consider it. An MBA would be well respected, depending on the school - ones that offer business training, that sort of thing. No fixed hiring season. Though September is the peak, many schools recruit all year, depending on their needs. Worth a shot.

Good luck!
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd respectfully disagree with Spiral that you've missed the main hiring period. Certainly in the Baltics and, friends tell me, Poland people are still enjoying their last few weeks of summer with schools just beginning to look for teachers as the bulk of courses will start late September/early October

Jonniboy, you're absolutely correct - I said he's in the process of missing it just now (or at least that's what I mean). A few weeks left to go, for sure!
mikael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan is to start teaching 2013 so I have plenty of time. Can someone recommend any specific cities (offering CELTA and easy to get a job nearby)?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to Moscow! CELTA with BKC-IH.
White ice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Come to Moscow! CELTA with BKC-IH.

Can anyone comment on this place for doing a Celta course.

Would it be easy to get a visa to do the Celta in russia? I'm from the UK.
miss smarty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Istanbul? Reply with quote

Hi,

Have you tried looking into Istanbul? Istanbul has tons of English schools and there seems to be a demand for English speakers.

Just a thought Very Happy
Good Luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: