Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Law In China Regarding International Sections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avigoldberg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: New Law In China Regarding International Sections Reply with quote

Our school has sent us a newsletter saying that the Chinese Ministry of Education is no longer supporting International Sections at Middle/ High schools and that effective immediately they will not be approving applications for new programs [that are geared to send students out of the country].

I asked my Head of Recruitment and he said that "the government is concerned that their best and brightest are leaving the country in droves." (They obviously don't have a single pair of boots on the ground at any international school if that is truly their rationale.)

Questions:

1. I have not been able to find this release in Chinese. Can anyone else find this announcement? I have been to the MOE website. No bulletin/ circular/ encyclical-- even though this has been in effect since January of this year.

2. Has anyone else heard the same thing?
GreatApe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for an International school and for a boss (from H.K.) whose business it is to "set up" International sections at other schools. I just came back from a trip where we had one such meeting with a school in Guangdong.

Yes, we are a "legitimate" International school with IGCSE certification and overseas universities affiliation.

No, I have not heard anything about this, but that is not to say that it is not true. I would also be interested to know if anyone else has heard such a thing.

--GA
Alexus22

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also work in an International section teaching science and maths preparing students for study abroad and I've never heard such a thing.
Lancy Bloom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These changes will take place overnight and we will be the last to know about it. Don't unpack your bags
Songbird

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also work in an international section, though at a private school (sure it would still come under the same scrutiny though). We are actually expanding rapidly and have already outgrown the building that was built 4 years ago, so we are moving to the school's kindergarten in September. In fact, I had a meeting with the school principal yesterday about plans and resources for teachers. He wants to set up our own English school library here and wants me to head it Shocked ! Actually, I've done it before on a small scale at a college in Shaanxi, so it's no biggie.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school is expanding to accommodate more students who are planning to go abroad.
avigoldberg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what the newsletter said (in two places):

In the new year, Ameson will face new challenges, and new opportunities. For one, a recent Ministry of Education decree announced in the newspaper China Education Daily has effectively put an end to the growth of the American High School Program. However, this year Ameson is undergoing growth at a rate unparalleled in our history. Over the next few years Ameson will be initiating several large-scale programs, both in China and abroad.

This decree announced that the Ministry of Education would no longer support the opening of new international programs inside public high schools. Since our AHSP program falls into this category, this means that for the time being no new schools will be joining this program, so we have to adjust our business strategy. In response we�re going to be establishing our own independent schools, moving toward a �dual language � dual culture� approach, which has been well received by the government officials we�ve presented it to.
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard this dual language-dual culture approach in Guangzhou. Apparently, Guangdong officials have stated that international sections of high schools are meant to be for student exchange programs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: