Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety in Poland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
My advice, remains, "watch your back and stay aware".
Sound advice wherever you go.

And wherever you go, you're bound to form opinions about the relative safety of a place based on anecdotal evidence. But ecocks, you've only been in Poland a few months, so do you really think you should be making sweeping generalizations yet?

And if you already think Poland isn't safe, have you made plans to leave yet?

For most, personal safety is pretty high on the list when choosing a place to live.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny....

It's colder here than there - yet no one is running elsewhere.

It's wetter here than there - yet no one is going elsewhere.

It's........whatever.

You take a simple observation that a place is not as safe as another and out-of-nowhere come up with this "when are you leaving" fiction.

Yes, personal safety is "pretty high on the list". No one said it's a war zone or that criminals are indiscriminately gunning down people in the streets. It's simple statements as to relative safety between two places. While I won't be visiting Mexico, Somalia, Afghanistan or the Congo anytime soon, things are not even remotely in that category here.

I'll leave when I am ready, not before, not after. Well, unless I run afoul of the Immigration people I guess.

My assessments are based on my experiences and judgement, as are everyone's. The real question is only how you live your life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Poland's safe as houses....in the bars things are bit different from the mid-90's....every now and again you get the odd anti-Brit thing from some tomato picker who had a bad life there. Dragon in Poznan is full of pseudo-nobheads.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
Yes, personal safety is "pretty high on the list". No one said it's a war zone or that criminals are indiscriminately gunning down people in the streets. It's simple statements as to relative safety between two places. While I won't be visiting Mexico, Somalia, Afghanistan or the Congo anytime soon, things are not even remotely in that category here.
It's good to see you've got a sense of perspective about the safety issue in Gdansk. It is pretty safe for a city of its size, and even more so if you don't stay out late drinking in certain bars.

BTW, have you spent much time in Absinthe yet? Legendary place, great for meeting people.
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absinthe was/is okay and you do meet an interesting group.

Wild Dogs is a new spot on the parking lot for hanging by the wood-fired stove and watching the people. In another couple of weeks the decks should be completely up (they started putting them out last week) and spring weather should bring out the crowds.

Other interesting places have proven to be Factotum and Original Burger. Nothing like free Internet, decent drinks and good food.

Still looking for my spot on the river but another place, Billy's, is opening down there with a good-sized deck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
Other interesting places have proven to be Factotum and Original Burger. Nothing like free Internet, decent drinks and good food.

Still looking for my spot on the river but another place, Billy's, is opening down there with a good-sized deck.
I went to Original Burger with Scott shortly after New Years. Probably the best burger I've had in Poland. I'm also a fan of Jadalnia Pod Zielony Smok, tho it isn't quite as good as it used to be.

There's a tasty pizza place on the river. Scott knows the name.
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sempre (pizza) - They also have a spot on Dluga. Not much of a hang out place though. Where's a Pizza Inn with pitchers of beer when you need them?

OB - Fantastic burgers, Happy Hour pricing on cheeseburgers (9 zl from 7:30 to 9:00, M-Th).

Green Dragon - great, simple, I love peirogis with meat and tons of sour cream but need someone to split the potato casserole with as as side-dish.

Billy's - decent ribs, trying the steak in the next week or so.

Pueblo's - good tapas, great spicy prawns and decent little pitchers of margaritas......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: