Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mr. Mysterious calmly predicts doom and gloom for me
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Batgirlibrarian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Mr. Mysterious calmly predicts doom and gloom for me Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago I posted about my new job in Kuwait, at a brand-new school, which I am very excited about. One of the people who responded to my post told me that it could be, "a bumpy landing," and rained on my parade.

I asked him to tell me where to verify this depressing information, and he told me to look it up on the internet. So far I have found nothing. I am wondering now if I can get this info verified here by others.

My new school is AUSK, and it is literally being built as we speak, so it doesn't even have a history yet to base its reputation upon. I have only read good things about AUK, the university that is the parent of my new school.

If you know anything about the school or the university, please let me know. Thank you!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you followed my suggestion to join one of the Kuwait expat forums, but if so, you might ask about your new employer there. However, I suspect "Mr. Mysterious" mistook your school for another, which is why he couldn't provide details or specific links and subsequently, has remained...well, mysterious. Confused
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that the previous poster knows some of the people setting up the new school and they may have a history in the Gulf which may or may not be of any matter to you. The reality is that new schools are notoriously... um... messy. So, just be ready for disorganization in everything. You will need lots of patience and a good sense of humor.

No one answered your question about your husband. I haven't known anyone in the same position, but I agree that he could probably find a teaching job... just not a very grand one. And there may be a problem finding an employer who will provide that elusive visa.

Hopefully someone with more details will show up...

VS
Batgirlibrarian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Nomad and Veiled. If the school is a bit chaotic the first few weeks, I can deal with it. So far I have been impressed with how organized some things are this far out already. I will just cross my fingers and hope for the best. Wink
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First few weeks? Laughing For new places, the difficulties often last for the first few months... or years. Sadly... that isn't a joke. Hopefully their organization in hiring goes into other areas.

One of the most difficult things about living in Kuwait is the government bureaucracy. It is notoriously problematic for new expat residents. Just don't be surprised by how slowly everything gets done...

VS
Batgirlibrarian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Okay - that makes more sense to me. Well, thanks for the warning. Good thing we are up for an adventure...lol.
middleastman

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: boo op. Reply with quote

Hi,
Just for the record, I didn't rain on your parade. I simply expressed an informed opinion on your post in a forum. I have read forums about the new school and have spent a lot of my life in Kuwait and therefore know a lot of people. I have no obligation to reveal where I get information from. Further to that, in an earlier post you referred to "The people I have been working with". This led me to question weather you were already working in the school or not- through your use of tenses, and therefore the authenticity of your post. In any case, I'm in Kuwait now so please pm me if you need any more info. Perhaps you know something I don't, and the school is going to provide you with an honest, professional experience. Please don't get your hopes up.
Batgirlibrarian

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Middleastman I hear you - thank you for your candid remarks preparing me for interesting times ahead. Whichever way this develops, it will none the less be an awesome opportunity for us to live and work in a different part of the world and experience a new culture and way of life. Besides, the school I am currently at here in the UK has given me many experiences with utter chaos, so I feel that I am well prepared to deal with whatever I find in Kuwait. Wink Laughing
middleastman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: thanks alice. Reply with quote

Toto I have a feeling we're not in kansas anymore
Batgirlibrarian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Well, at least Kuwait is full of glorious sunshine, something we have sorely missed here in England.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: and Reply with quote

It's also full of bad drivers, dust storms, lzay students and weird TEFL teachers.
Batgirlibrarian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds just like England...except warmer. Wink
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: haha Reply with quote

How right you are. Smile
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird EFL teachers ? I thought you only got them in KSA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Batgirlibrarian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, what is KSA?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: