Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL in Portugal Finances

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtidey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: TEFL in Portugal Finances Reply with quote

Ola,

I've been wondering lately how much money I'll need before I leave to Portugual. I'm planning on doing my CELTA course in Lisbon, so I will leave the UK with no job prospects for a while at least.

So, heres what I thought I'd need; about a grand for the first month when I'm doing the course. This includes rent and living yadda yadda. I think I'll also need another grand for when I qualify and have a hard time finding work. How does this sound to people? I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Also, I dont have much of an idea of what living in Lisbon costs. If anyone can rougly give me a weekly estimate of what they spend that would be great.

Finally, I have a right hand drive British car that Im considering taking with me, however the drive over and using a right hander on the lethal portuguese roads makes me look for alternatives. Do you need a car in Lisbon? I live in London and you definetly dont need one here. Any thoughts?

Cheers, hope this thread helps some others too!

Graham
Phil_b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing a CELTA at International House in Lisbon this summer.... and on their accomodation list most places are around 200-300 Euros for a month...
Most of the accomodation seems to be within 30 mins metro or bus ride, so I'm not sure you;d need a car... for convenience I guess...
Can't really help with anything else... sorry.
ChicagoCubMike

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent weeks and weeks (as a tourist anyway) in Lisbon and environs and I can unequivocally tell you, you do not need a car in Lisbon at all. Not even for convenience. The metro, the buses, and the streetcars cover the entire city, cabs are cheap and plentiful, and there's an excellent suburban train and bus system. If you're living and working in town, or living in the burbs and working in town, you'll never use your car. Lisbon streets are narrow, parking is nonexistent, there are encroaching schemes of car-banning in central areas, and the Portuguese drive live raving lunatics on the motorways (sound like London yet?).

Bear in mind, the nicest apartments are in the suburbs (along the Estoril coast especially), but the places in town can be cheaper (since there's a higher vacancy rate in the central city). There's been the usual eruo-flation in prices, but Portugal is still on the cheap side. Food and transportation will not eat that far into your wallet.
gtidey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bom dia,

Ok, I have to ask another question about money money money but dont think its all I care about!

I wanted to know what kind of wages to expect to get teaching out there. I'm being given figures for rent, expenses etc, but thats all useless untill I know how much I'll be making!

So, anyone who's worked there: how much do private lessons usually cost the student? how much would, say, IH pay and local schools? little kiddies and adults mostly, the less interaction with stroppy teenagers the better!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: