Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Royal Commission-Jubail...recruitment..lies,lies, and haram!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the OPs original comment. Native English Speaker = white person born to white people in England. This sucks! You (change you to they) don't own the language. Well, not anymore. What about Canadians born to third generation Indian families (from India) that are Christians. I have a lot of these kind of friends and I consider them Native Speakers too. Please Pick your next words carefully if you want to reply to this post I've made, 'trustme.'(intended as a play with words Very Happy)

Grendal

adendum: I think you're right with the salary quote. I was mixed up thinking that 'trustme' was native speaking white born to white parents.

Last edited by Grendal on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:47 am; edited 3 times in total
jaffa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustme wrote:
No amount of research would ever reveal the true fact that the English department is made up of Algerian, Pakastani, and Indian Mutawa that attempt to convert ALL teachers to Islam. If you do not convert, they WILL make your life a misery there.

Make an official complaint about them to RC HQ. Believe it or not, but there are people there who will take your side as fundamentalism is actively discouraged, especially if they are making your life a misery.
Strongly Morphing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"trustme" did not clarify that he was of mixed blood. When the RC found his mummy had indian blood, they halved the usual salary of 15,000 for us purebreeds down to 7,500 for mutts. That's 9,510 when you add the 15% and the transportation. The lads at the RC loathe confrontations and since they want to hire you, they'll never tell you they know.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the OP's gripe is that he was not treated as a "white man" ????
jargonscott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustme wrote:

No amount of research would ever reveal the true fact that the English department is made up of Algerian, Pakastani, and Indian Mutawa that attempt to convert ALL teachers to Islam. If you do not convert, they WILL make your life a misery there.

I've had a number of friends and acquaintances work at JUC in recent years (direct and via McGill). Though the job is far from perfect, none of them reported any sort of proselytizing staff.

Strongly Morphing wrote:
"trustme" did not clarify that he was of mixed blood. When the RC found his mummy had indian blood, they halved the usual salary of 15,000 for us purebreeds down to 7,500 for mutts. That's 9,510 when you add the 15% and the transportation. The lads at the RC loathe confrontations and since they want to hire you, they'll never tell you they know.

Now there's an odd choice for a first post.

If that's what happened, that sucks. But to be completely honest, I don't think too many of us are surprised. It's KSA. No one really operates on a firm set of rules. I guess you could say they morph Laughing from day to day and from person to person.

I stand by my original comment. If the OP took the time to read over this forum before heading to KSA, the aforementioned shenanigans should almost (unfortunately) seem par for the course. Reacting with anger and bitterness is understandable, but probably won't change anything. I know when I'm researching a potential employer, I pay more attention to the folks who post with a level head.

As stated in a previous thread, my memories of Saudi administration have been condensed into a 4.5 minute YouTube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the OP suggest to the management that they should have separate facilities for whites and non-whites ?
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustme wrote:

They've never tried to convert me. The English departments are full of them because they speak both English and Arabic, I don't see anything wrong with that. Being able to use direct translation is a plus especially for beginning students.
EnglishDoYouSpeakIt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 pages and no one asked about the gay Filipino thing? What is that about? KSA tends to 'pay you what you are.' As terrible as it is. A Yemeni ESL teacher (Have never heard of such a thing actually) would be getting a lot less than a white face devil from the United States of America. It is what it is. But even with companies like Al Rajhi or EdEx, a British guy of Indian descent is still getting the same salary as a British guy of British descent. I don't know people. If you want Elysium then find a rocket ship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: