Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ICC Honolulu CELTA Course

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daphne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: ICC Honolulu CELTA Course Reply with quote

I was surprised not to find any prior input on the CELTA courses offered in Hawaii through ICC.

Can anyone please write about their experiences with this school?
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for bringing back this old post...but has anyone heard anything about the CELTA course from ICC Hawaii?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolguy123 wrote:
Sorry for bringing back this old post...but has anyone heard anything about the CELTA course from ICC Hawaii?

I have no clue, but on their website, they state they have 10 classrooms, a computer lab, high-speed broadband + free wifi, a student lounge, free coffee and tea, and a kitchenette. Plus, it's on the island of Hawai'i. Sounds good to me. Anyway, I'm sure you're aware the CELTA course is the same content and delivery regardless of where in the world it's taken. You need to decide what location fits your budget as well as your room/board and other creature comfort needs.
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, live in Hawaii so that's not the difficulty, there's a couple courses here and was trying to pick one. The other one is at the public university.

Actually, I was thinking of taking the course elsewhere, in Poland or something, people wonder why I'd want to take it elsewhere but I'd love to do some study overseas.

If it's the same content would it look any better/worse to an employer if it's taken from one school over another (public/private, school prestige), or taken in the US vs. overseas?
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If it's the same content would it look any better/worse to an employer if it's taken from one school over another (public/private, school prestige), or taken in the US vs. overseas?

Employers don't care where you take your CELTA, only that you take it. So take it where it is most convenient for you, or else where it will help you the most--in the country where you want to work.

nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xie Lin wrote:
Coolguy123 wrote:

Employers don't care where you take your CELTA, only that you take it. So take it where it is most convenient for you, or else where it will help you the most--in the country where you want to work.

Ditto Xie Lin's comments. As I stated on another thread, the CELTA is a CELTA is a CELTA whether you complete it at Bubba's TESOL Shack or at the Hoity-toity School of English. It's the same content/structure/standards regardless of where it's offered, which is why it appeals to both employers and trainees. Employers will only care that you have a reputable certificate that's awarded by Cambridge. That's all. Besides, it's not like you're getting a PhD; CELTA is basically an entry-level teaching qualification which, by the way, doesn't even require applicants hold a BA.

In terms of CELTA course providers, find a training center that offers the best bang for your buck as well as suitable facilities and support, especially if you plan to complete the course in Poland or some other country.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually, I was thinking of taking the course elsewhere, in Poland or something, people wonder why I'd want to take it elsewhere but I'd love to do some study overseas.

If it's the same content would it look any better/worse to an employer if it's taken from one school over another (public/private, school prestige), or taken in the US vs. overseas

Just to further clarify things a bit, newbies sometimes mistake CELTA for a general acronym applied to just any TEFL cert course. CELTA is a specific course which is externally accredited and is considered the name-brand well-known and respected course.; If Joe's Crab Shack is offering a genuine CELTA, cool, but if you're considering Joe's TEFL knock-off - think again:-)

Employers really don't care much where you took your CELTA (assuming you are referring to the name brand course) in most cases. The relatively slight exception would be -

...if you are considering teaching, for example, in Poland, it could be helpful to take a CELTA in Poland. This is because your practice teaching students will be more representative of those students you will be working with when you start teaching.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Spiral... Just the thought of "Bubba's" and "Joe's" is making me salivate. Hmm... Should I have steamed crab or BBQ tonight? Laughing
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great info everyone! Do these celta organizations within the US provide any helpful assistance finding jobs overseas?

I'm sure while they might be able to provide counseling, I'm not sure how much help they would be in finding work.

Therefore, it seems like taking a course abroad would be the best option, as the cost doesn't seem that much higher. Thoughts?

I'm a very good student(maybe a bit too pedantic actually) so I am not worried about being able to handle the course. I'm thinking about doing the international house course which seems to come recommended from some people, as they seem to offer job assistance.

My only concern would be having to leave to change visa status or whatever, or having downtime in getting a job and the costs involved.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Spiral stated, the advantage of completing the CELTA course in the target country is that it offers the opportunity to do your practice teaching with students that very likely fit the profile of those students you will be leading once you actually start teaching. Another benefit to taking it in your desired country is that you're already there and acclimating to your new environment. Plus, it provides more opportunities for on-the-ground job hunting in addition to face-to-face job introductions and interviews, which is key in those cities/countries where TEFL jobs generally aren't advertised. I believe that falls under your description of job assistance.

You mentioned taking the course in the US or in Poland; however, you haven't said where you'd like to teach. Start by 1) checking out ads for jobs in your target country; and 2) visiting the country-specific job discussion forum about teaching prospects, do's/don'ts, etc. You need to figure out what works for your teaching goals and budget (flight, visa costs, transportation needs, room/board, food...) as well as your expectations for facility support (availability of Internet, copy machines, learning resources, classroom size), tutor/teacher trainer support, and subsequent help in job leads.

Anyway, I suggest you check with the specific CELTA course provider as to how much, if any, job assistance they offer. Since the CELTA is geared more for teaching English abroad (i.e., outside the US), I suspect course providers overseas would offer extra job guidance to trainees.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IH offers some opportunities within their own network, but it's not a job guarantee - and definitely not a location guarantee; you have to go where they have an opening.
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it seems like IH prioritizes people who took the CELTA there or people who work at IH for initial jobs or "transfers". Could be interesting if you want to move around in different countries and you're still within the same IHWO company, which could be good for seniority and knowing their system without having to relearn to much. Just speculation though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: