Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ending a contract - what happens to the visa?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blebling

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, basically it mentions it in the contract.
Hmm, so when you mention problems with registration, gaglen, does this mean that, after I left my employer, I wouldn't be able to re-register in another city through a hotel or something? I was kind of banking on this being possible...

Thank you for both your advice. Hopefully someone will be able to confirm for sure Smile.
gaglen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registering with a hotel shouldn't be a problem. One of my former colleagues even left the country when her contact with the school ended, then came back to Russia after a while on the same work visa (it was a multiple-entry visa) to couch surf around the country for six weeks.
Remember you have 3 working days to register in a new city so if you have train tickets to prove that you've just arrived, you could technically get by without getting registered if you're planning on taking short trips to different places. Some hotels insist on registering you upon arrival; others, especially cheaper hostels don't bother if you're only staying two days.
I've been in Russia for ten years and have never been stopped for a document check. I have travelled to different cities and not registered but I am a girl and I don't stand out in a crowd. However, to be on the safe side, I guess you should register if it's possible.
Foma87

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of "un-registering". I've had a few screw-ups with registering (late, or not at all) and it's either been ignored (by the authorities) or "fixed" through a visa agency (that is, in cases where my sponsor couldn't w/out getting an administrative offense on my record).
BTW you now have 7 business days to register your visa and for this reason hotels shouldn't bother registering you for stays less than that� Either way, If you haven't left the country, I think the registration you already have through your school should suffice (regardless of whether it's still valid or not). My assumption is that it still is, though.
Blebling

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your help. From what you've said, it sounds like it will be ok (I hope!).
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really should not be a problem whatsoever. But has anybody consulted a proper lawyer?
fin-de-siecle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't confirm the legality of what was posted, but in my experienced this thread was valuable and helpful.

I took a summer job in St Petersburg, what I was offered and what I got were very different so I decided to quit. The DOS asked to have my passport so they could cancel my visa, it was unnecessary because I had a single entry visa and I sent him my flight details. He threatened to have me 'arrested' by FMS, so I repeated the tax issues Sashadroogie wrote about and a few things they were doing illegally which would put them in hot water with FMS.

They dropped the issue entirely.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ura! Good for you.
maruss

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: well done! Reply with quote

Mentioning the tax office to many Russians is equivalent to mentioning the mafia some years ago! Everyone knows who they are but nobody wants a visit from them!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope holiday pay was obtained! Very Happy
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Now, now Sasha! Reply with quote

The glorious proletarian workers have no need for holidays because life is so joyful that every day is like being on vacation!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: