Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sandstorm !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Sandstorm ! Reply with quote

http://en-maktoob.news.yahoo.com/video/sandstorm-turns-day-night-131140553.html
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG... we had a couple sandstorms in the American desert this spring, but nothing like this. I went through quite a few in Egypt... but again... it merely got dreary, not completely dark like this.

The thought of dusting the flat after this is depressing... you'd need a shovel...

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear VS,

Did you ever get caught outside in a locust swarm? That's an unforgettable experience, too Very Happy

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a swarm pass through Oman one year, but I think many had died off from lack of food along the way. When I would walk late in the evening, they would be hanging about at each street light... with all the feral cats eating them as fast as they could catch them. Every once in awhile one would crash into you. Growing up in the prairies... we had lots of grasshoppers every year... same family.

VS
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear VS,

Did you ever get caught outside in a locust swarm? That's an unforgettable experience, too Very Happy

Regards,
John

you mean when they start tearing pieces of your flesh off your body as they frantically swirl around. just like in the Hollywood movies?

Grendal
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Sandstorm ! Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
http://en-maktoob.news.yahoo.com/video/sandstorm-turns-day-night-131140553.html

it wont open. all I get is a black panther running around in the night.

Grendal
cmp45

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I invested in a good air purifier since the last major sand storm darn near choked me to death in my apartment. It is a worth while investment.

Speaking of swarms...years ago when I worked in a rural village in Botswana, right after a rain storm swarms of termites would fill the skies. The locals would set out pots of water where the termites would fall into, later to be fried up as a snack! They tasted like peanuts! In the school heaps of termite wings had been blown into various corners and hallways.
Strange and amazing experience.

Grass hoppers are gross! I grew up on a farm on the praries as well and hated them as did my father watching the pests eat up the crops. Evil or Very Mad
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last flat in Cairo had termites. Fortunately I managed to restrict them to the kitchen, but there were 2 weeks of major swarms!! Inside!!

I would coat the walls and floor with Raid before leaving for class in the morning and when I came home, I would sweep up a plastic grocery bag full of bodies.

Perhaps I should have fried them up and opened a stand in front of the building. Laughing (certainly the insecticide would enhance the flavor)

VS
cmp45

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing We already eat food contaminated with herbicides and pesticides, so probably wouldn't make much difference. I think the African variety which I speak of are quite different from the creepy non-flying variety one finds infested in buildings. The African winged variety build huge skycraper mounds and are much meatier-bigger! and probably tastier without pesticides...Wink

http://thoughtsfrombotswana.blogspot.com/2010/11/invasion-of-flying-termites.html
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of them were flying... and Cairo is in Africa. Cool

VS
cmp45

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
All of them were flying... and Cairo is in Africa. Cool

VS

Yes of course ...anyhow...must have been hard to live with a swarm of flying termites indoors...sounds awful.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmp45 wrote:
The African winged variety build huge skycraper mounds and are much meatier-bigger! and probably tastier without pesticides...Wink

Yum!!!!!!! Birds and lizards love eating insects because they have lots of very high quality proteins. However the birds can have them I'm not interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: