Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching salaries and job ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueMango

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Teaching salaries and job ideas Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm currently looking for work in Malaysia, preferably in KL. I have ten years experience teaching ESL plus a CELTA / CELTYL & an MA in Applied Linguistics (TESOL).

From my research, it appears that places to get decent salaries are very, very scarce in Malaysia. I remember reading someone who said you can get paid up to 25k per month and I can only guess that this kind of position doesn't really exist from my extensive job search. Let me give you some of my findings.

University work with PhD - Salaries can go up to 15k but are more likely to be around 12 - 13k.
University work with MA - Salaries can go up to 8-9k, but are usually around the 5-6k mark.
Language centres - Salaries range from as little as 2400 to 10k depending on position and experience and quality of language school.
British Council 8-11k
ELS 5.5k
The rest (any other exact info would be welcome here) 2400 - 5k.
International schools as EAL support with no PGCE - 3k - 8k.

These are the findings of my research, and it's quite a depressing landscape if you ask me. What I would really like, is for anyone to add to this list with more specific examples of salaries, anecdotes of where / when people have managed to secure better packages and any pointers of where I can continue my hunt for at least a pot of bronze at the end of the rainbow.

Your thoughts and contributions would be more than welcome.
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching salaries and job ideas Reply with quote

You've got quite a comprehensive list there already.

BlueMango wrote:

University work with PhD - Salaries can go up to 15k but are more likely to be around 12 - 13k.

British Council 8-11k

The figures above in particular are pretty good. RM11K = US$3608, which is $43296 a year. This compares to the current US average wage of $45790. Maybe Malaysia or the job are the not the best choices if you want more money.
BlueMango

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, Hod, true. Malaysia is not the best place for earning money in this industry, but I live here and intend on staying so was kind of fishing for a tip off or two.
sconzani

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Job just advertised in Penang Reply with quote

Hi folks
Interesting salary info, thanks. I see a job has just been advertised in Penang by Brainsmart at RM3K per month (seems to include accommodation as well). This is for teaching Cambridge exam prep.

Looking at your salary list, this seems quite low. I'm considering a move to Malaysia (from Cambodia) so just checking out possibilities.

Anyone had any experience of Brainsmart?
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Singapore. It has excellent links to Malaysia and your quals should net you minimum of S$5k per month. That's about RM12k starting pay.

Rent is very expensive here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: