Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

possible to save anywhere in Europe? (UK citizen)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daikaiju

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: possible to save anywhere in Europe? (UK citizen) Reply with quote

I've got teaching experience in South Korea and the UK, A Trinity TESOL cert and will be studying for a distance MA in TEFL in October.

I was wondering if there were any countries in Europe where I could work and save anywhere between 200-300 euros a month?
barabbas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might just be doable in the Czech Republic, but only outside of Prague.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno why Barabbas says outside of Prague.

I think the more explicit answer is that (particularly with related MA) you can of course save that much in most - probably all - European countries. Including Prague.

The difficulty is that you can't count on it from the very beginning. Because the job market is so saturated with teachers, newbies to a region will be really at subsistence level. However, a teacher who is willing to pay some local dues, make contacts, build a reputation, and learn some local language skills will be able to work his/her way up into the fewer better paying positions around. It's totally do-able, even in Prague, but takes some time and commitment.
Sigma

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work and live outside of Prague in a small city (45,000 people). It is 'possible' to save 200-300 euros a month, but I'd think you'd have to earn at least 25,000kc a month (before taxes) if you want to live on your own. A flat in a smaller city (2+1 flat) would probably run you at least 6,000kc plus utilities. However, if you share a flat with someone else the costs would be much lower.

With all that being said, if you want to save 200-300 euros a month, you might not have a lot left after taxes, food, rent, utilities etc. I think the key would be to share a flat with someone. You would probably be able to save an extra 100 euros a month.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno why Barabbas says outside of Prague.

I think the more explicit answer is that (particularly with related MA) you can of course save that much in most - probably all - European countries. Including Prague.

The difficulty is that you can't count on it from the very beginning. Because the job market is so saturated with teachers, newbies to a region will be really at subsistence level. However, a teacher who is willing to pay some local dues, make contacts, build a reputation, and learn some local language skills will be able to work his/her way up into the fewer better paying positions around. It's totally do-able, even in Prague, but takes some time and commitment.
daikaiju

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the MA just yet, but plan to be studying and earning at the same time.

I'm not adverse to sharing so it wouldn't bother me too much. I never really considered the Czech Republic as a viable destination so that's good to know! In Europe I've been considering Italy, Spain, Netherlands and Germany mainly.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Job market in Netherlands is really tiny.
Most jobs are taken by fluent locals.

Also, my advice wasn't solely for the Czech Rep...I think it takes time to build up a reputation that will allow one to save anywhere in Western/Central Europe.
barabbas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'outside Prague' thing comes from the fact the salaries I'm aware of aren't that different between various cities including the capital, but outgoings certainly are - especially accommodation and transport.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I understand what you mean about expenses. I was thinking, though, of the better paying jobs around; directly working inside corporations, 'international' schools, and etc - those are usually in the city. Overall, I think there are more opportunities for higher-than-average pay in cities rather than towns.
jaffa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a Czech woman who teaches English and earns over 40,000 Crowns a month. She works long hours for it but has expensive tastes like horses and flash cars.

Like most self-employed Czechs she knows how to dodge taxes too and rent in small towns is low.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highly unlikely in Italy where pay is low, and cost of living is high.
Sublime

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:
Highly unlikely in Italy where pay is low, and cost of living is high.

Ditto Spain Confused
Dancebiscuits

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it's incredibly unlikely in Italy or Spain. As per my previous post on Italy, average full-time wage is around 1,000 Euros a month which will just about cover shared rent, food, medicine and clothes but nothing more. My friends teaching in Spain say it's the same there.

How about Turkey, salaries aren't quite so shite there? Plus some schools pay to retain you over the summer holidays so it doesn't cost you an arm-and-a-leg just to stay in the same country for more than 9 months.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know a Czech woman who teaches English and earns over 40,000 Crowns a month. She works long hours for it but has expensive tastes like horses and flash cars

40,000 czk is only 1,500 euro monthly. She's not buying many flash cars or nice horses on that.
Dancebiscuits

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also meant to suggest Russia too - some incredible salaries going, although it's expensive to live there. Friends of mine teaching in Moscow and St Petersburg tell me they are able to save 500 Euros a month with relative ease.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: