Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online teaching
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sashacleo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Albalass,

Yes, a tough decision. but I wouldn't register until you get your students. Hope it all goes well for you Smile
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently went through the interview process and was offered a position and had to complete the training program. I was very impressed but have declined their kind offer as I have fingers in other pies at the moment.

It took a long time from my initial application to be offered an interview ... and things had changed in the interim period for me. Very impressed with their set-up though.
flossiebebe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: online teaching Reply with quote

If it doesn't cost you anything to get a Cert. of Fiscal Residency, I suggest you get it started. I work for ISUS and they are much more understanding if you can tell them that it is in the works. They do require a hard official copy but are very understanding if you can send them a scanned copy till you can get the other to them via snail mail.

ISUS is very good. I also currently work for another online company that is very demanding, very annoying and never pays on time!!
jvintage7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: 3C easy jobs Reply with quote

I apologize if someone has already mentioned this but I am wondering if anyone has worked for 3C Easy Jobs? It is based out of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. I sent them my resume for online teaching position and they contacted me for an interview. If anyone has any knowledge about them I'd love to hear. Thanks
Jellyfish666

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never worked for that company in particualr, but I used to teach online part-time. It's cool to teach from home.. But I still prefer face to face teaching. I wouldn't do that again unless I needed the extra cash
BlueMango

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update re ISUS. They pay only 9 euros an hour, not the 16 euros that they paid in 2010 according to this thread.

I guess they slashed the pay in half because of the inverse inflation that is happening globally! Shocked

Anyone working for them for 9 euros per hour? I pay my cleaner more than this and that is not a joke.
scepticalbee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
I've read a message here talking about the distance learning online courses...
Does anyone could give me more info about that, please?
I'd like to learn more about the registration process, the hiring universities, the specific requirements for the job, the fields taught, etc...
Thanks!
Monchi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who have worked for ISUS, a couple of questions:

1. What were the minimum (and maximum) number of hours that they want you to work? Also, how many hours/week of work did you actually get?

2. Were the lessons on 25 minutes long? Were lessons back-to-back?

3. How were the teaching/lesson materials they provided? Were they adequate? Did you have to do any additional prep work?

Thank you so much for any information, folks! Smile
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zugora wrote:

1. What were the minimum (and maximum) number of hours that they want you to work? Also, how many hours/week of work did you actually get?

3. How were the teaching/lesson materials they provided? Were they adequate? Did you have to do any additional prep work?

This is not to say they are a bad company.
This is to say there are things going on that have not been talked about.

The form for residency actually costs about $100.00 dollars if you are a US citizen and ISUS wants it immediately.
ISUS will pay you back for the cost.

All of the classes take place over the phone, not skype.
The employee must be willing to pay for the unlimited calling plan on skype or something simular.

ISUS can and does pay over $9 dollars per hour but it does depend on experience.

The trainers for ISUS are usually nice.
But, there are times when they are stressed because of work, etc and will not be any help especially if you need assistance with their system.
I think the beginning of learning their system is the hardest because your not used to it.
The beginning is when the most confusion happens and thats when its most difficult to get assistance and patience from the trainer.

There are 2 tests which must be passed in order the teach English as a second language through ISUS.
These tests are no joke and are extremely difficult.
The tests are not simply based on the material.
The person has to read into the material and read between all the lines.
Sure - some of the answers were there.
Other answers made me and a few others feel like we must have read the wrong manual.

Theres a great deal of details connected with their system one must learn in order to work for them.
Not easy.

Teachers do put what hours they are available on their site and students are scheduled accordingly.
If individuals can get past the damn tests, learning the system and get a schedule going I'm sure its great.
For those who think its simple more power to them.
Monchi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inotu-unotme wrote:
zugora wrote:

This is not to say they are a bad company.
This is to say there are things going on that have not been talked about.

The form for residency actually costs about $100.00 dollars if you are a US citizen and ISUS wants it immediately.
ISUS will pay you back for the cost.

All of the classes take place over the phone, not skype.
The employee must be willing to pay for the unlimited calling plan on skype or something simular.

ISUS can and does pay over $9 dollars per hour but it does depend on experience.

The trainers for ISUS are usually nice.
But, there are times when they are stressed because of work, etc and will not be any help especially if you need assistance with their system.
I think the beginning of learning their system is the hardest because your not used to it.
The beginning is when the most confusion happens and thats when its most difficult to get assistance and patience from the trainer.

There are 2 tests which must be passed in order the teach English as a second language through ISUS.
These tests are no joke and are extremely difficult.
The tests are not simply based on the material.
The person has to read into the material and read between all the lines.
Sure - some of the answers were there.
Other answers made me and a few others feel like we must have read the wrong manual.

Theres a great deal of details connected with their system one must learn in order to work for them.
Not easy.

Teachers do put what hours they are available on their site and students are scheduled accordingly.
If individuals can get past the damn tests, learning the system and get a schedule going I'm sure its great.
For those who think its simple more power to them.

inotu-unotme, I haven't heard this about them yet. Thanks for the info, but could you address the 3 questions I listed above more specifically?
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The length of the class depends on what the student wants and when they clock in, if they let the teacher know in advance or if they are on probation.
Its not a black and white answer.
As you work your way through ISUS you will find many things that don't have a black and white answer.
If you can deal with it it can be a good company to work for but frustrating especially in the beginning.

The materials seem to be nice.
In my opinion its more an issue of how much time you dedicate towards finding the right materials available.
Time management is always the issue.
Its more a question of how many different issues can you juggle at one time and keep ISUS happy with your performance while your still learning the ropes.
How easy the right materials are to locate depends on how familiar you are with the system.
And getting familiar with the system takes time and patience and keeping on top of all the other duties.

YOu know theres a report that has to be written after every session for every student.
Its a job and ISUS is going to use you for what your worth.
I would not label working for this company as easy or laid back.

But, I just have to say again - I can't believe the level of difficulty the teacher tests.
I even showed the tests and learning material to a friend who is a genius and she was perplexed at the complexity of these tests.
But, I'm sure theres people walking around thinking the tests are easy.

Last edited by inotu-unotme on Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Monchi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inotu-unotme, What do you mean by "The form for residency actually costs about $100.00 dollars if you are a US citizen and ISUS wants it immediately.
ISUS will pay you back for the cost. "

How long did you work there? I thought someone (or a few people here) mention that the pay rate was 9 EUROS, which would be about $12.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you follow through with the hiring process and the trainers will walk you through the many details.
Size9Sandals

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: ISUS Reply with quote

In just did the ISUS interview and found it a giant letdown. The girl who interviewed me did not seem to know anything about teaching herself, and just went throught the script.

Even worse, the pay of ten euros per hour was a joke. Avoid this company unless you are truly desperate!
mzuri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm puzzled by inotu-unotme's experience with ISUS.

I've worked with ISUS since January 2013.

The actual cost for the U.S. residence doc is $85. Form 8802.

The 1:1 sessions are uniformly 25 minutes or 50 minutes. I am unaware of this "clocking in" business mentioned.

I conduct 99% of my sessions via Skype (audio) - on my end. Sometimes I'm using my Skype to call a fixed phone line; sometimes I'm calling Skype-to-Skype. Depending on the country I'm calling I might call a student's mobile. I am reimbursed monthly for the Skype calling plan I need to subscribe to for the countries where my students are located.

With rare exception, I've had excellent support from the ISUS staff. In fact, the company assigns a mentor to each new teacher to ensure a quality experience for new teachers and their students.

I get paid for sessions in which students fail to cancel at least 12 hours in advance.

The going rate is 10 euros per hour.

I select the schedule I want with the expectation that I don't fiddle with it frequently, as students' contracts run for up to a year at a time.

The advantages I enjoy are:
    No time spent in commuting
    No commuting costs
    No meal expenses incurred because I'm away from base
    Very little bureaucratic hassle
    No worries about weather while commuting
    No expectation of extra-curricular activities that I must volunteer my time for
    My students are a pleasure to work with
    I have students assigned to me, and I can see our appointments for the entirety of their contract
    There is an inventory of lesson plans I can choose from, so little time is necessary to develop my own

All in all - a sweet deal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: